BAG's MoarNes Port

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by BassAceGold, Dec 11, 2011.

Dec 11, 2011

BAG's MoarNes Port by BassAceGold at 3:30 AM (3,545 Views / 1 Likes) 20 replies

1. BassAceGold
    OP

Member BassAceGold Testicles

Canada
    While taking a break from studying for finals, I decided that I would try to find the easiest emulator possible to port and get running on the DSTwo. In a little under an hour I have successfully got a NES emulator running on the DSTwo (with no sound)!

[​IMG]

The original source code that was ported can be found here: http://forums.libsdl...227c7acbdb1614a
    This emulator is by no means finished or optimized, in fact if you click the above link to the topic, you'll see its actually a help post for a crash in the emulator (regarding SDL). This is simply a straight over port just for the fun of it and nothing else. You have been warned!

The controls:
    NES - DS
    A - B
    B - Y
    Start - Start
    Select - Select

Screenshots can be taken with the L button and will be saved to the root of your card.

To play a game:
    -copy a nes rom to the root of your sd card
    -rename it "test.nes" with no quotes of course
    -run the plugin!

Please note that I do not have current plans for future updates and improvements. Also I cannot release the ported source because it uses code from and unreleased version of my library I am working on and thus is not currently possible to compile outside of my environment. However the original source code is posted above and is easy enough to port to the DSTwo sdk that if you want to continue the development of such emulator, it wouldn't be hard to catch up to this state of development.

Download here: http://www.mediafire...34xv1dkn6onzz3s

1 person likes this.

2. GreatCrippler

Member GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

United States
    And I thought I had weird hobbies. Very nice though. :-P

1 person likes this.
  3. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    Under an hour.

Impressive.
    Very impressive!

4. VatoLoco

Member VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

United States
    Nice=) Thanks Bass!

5. Cid2mizard

Member Cid2mizard GBAtemp Fan

France
  6. NorteñodelSur_27

Newcomer NorteñodelSur_27 Newbie

Have the same issues that NesDS on DSXL? (burn screens)

7. BassAceGold
    OP

Canada
    It shouldn't, everything is handled in software. Then again it has its own issues such as being ridiculously slow. I imagine this is probably the software timing keeping everything in sync as increasing the CPU speed doesn't improve performance at all.

8. Kitanode

Newcomer Kitanode Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    If you play wit the brightness up high then you should try turning it down to '2'
    I've been using nesDS on my DSiXL since the console's release and i have never encountered any screen burn-in.
    The only reason i can think of is that i usually play with the brightness at this level, and maybe also not playing it for prolonged periods without turning it off briefly now and then.

9. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    If this ends up becoming better than what nesDS already is, then I will consider using this emulator instead.

10. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    i love you. (in a homo way)

1 person likes this.
  11. Flame

Member Flame Me > You

gotta check this out.

12. jimmyemunoz

Member jimmyemunoz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    **snip this too** As I am censored whenever I spread the truth regarding a gbatemp user with a high post count. Whatever you do my posts will still be read and they don't change the facts. So why don't you delete this too.

13. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    -_-" Is anybody reading the post?

1 person likes this.
  14. jimmyemunoz
    This message by jimmyemunoz has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 3, 2016.
    Dec 14, 2011
  15. Ammako
    This message by Ammako has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 3, 2016.
    Dec 14, 2011
  16. jimmyemunoz
    This message by jimmyemunoz has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 3, 2016.
    Dec 14, 2011
  17. SifJar
    This message by SifJar has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 3, 2016.
    Dec 14, 2011
  18. jimmyemunoz
    Dec 14, 2011
  19. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Oh look, I was right. It is not in the slightest immature to back up people who are correct and combat rudeness and arrogance. I think you need to look up immature in the dictionary.

1 person likes this.
  20. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    lets get back om top[ic

21. miker00lz

Newcomer miker00lz Newbie

United States
    hey, BassAceGold. i found this thread via google, and thought it was neat that you did a DS port. i wrote MoarNES. the code you ported from is ridiculously old though. there is a completely new code base now. everything has been rewritten from scratch, CPU and all. if you wanted to give it another shot you might want to have a look at the current code. the emulator is light years beyond the one you used before! :)

http://rubbermallet....lpha-source.zip

in addition to the source code, there's a compiled win32 binary MoarNES.exe in the "Release" folder. there's an actual GUI of sorts now with drop-down menus. you'll also notice the sound is pretty close to the real NES now i think, except i don't have the APU sweeps working. the code is also much, much cleaner and organized.

1 person likes this.
  22. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    the guy that claimed this happened later admitted that he left a game on pause for more than a day. its a bit annoying that people are still spreading this around as though everyone who uses nesDS and an XL will experience screen burn or ghosting.

i'm sorry i quoted such an old post but it bugs me when people spread information around without the facts or without having run tests of their own. the last thing we need is a few thousand people finding this one post and assuming its a fact.

-another world

1 person likes this.
  23. BassAceGold
    OP

Canada
    Cool, I'll be sure to check it out when I have the time, although that doesn't mean no one else can attempt to try this in the mean time. :)

24. BassAceGold
    OP

Canada
    Alright, just reporting back that I have successfully ported over miker00lz newer version in which he posted here. This port is pretty much same performance wise to the original port, maybe a little better overall. I have removed all dependencies of libBAG and have uploaded the ported code to github here. Everything should compile with the standard Supercard SDK, so if anyone wants to take a stab at optimizing it, it's all good to go now.

1 person likes this.
  25. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    Needs multiplayer like NESDS. Meh.
    I mean, I know it could go a long way, but NESDS is already great.