Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should I care? What is your point?
Nothing, this is the 21st century and times "change". People have more mobility, when it comes to gaming, than they did 20 years ago. Did you see someone use apps on a phone in the 90s, like AOL or Yahoo? There were mobile games but they were like DOS games are to PC gaming. You could only run Snake, Centipede, and maybe Pac-Man.

Last edited by 03bgood,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nothing, this is the 21st century and times "change".
Sorry, before you only wrote "What is this, 1996?", so your message made no sense at all to me (I don't own a crystalball)
Now you have edited it and I understand what you meant.

Anyway, what I mean is the enterprises are releasing emulators and cashing in, making slightly retextured improvements of the same old game and cashing in, it is BORING (and shameless).
It is not a matter of technology, it is just really boring to play the same shit once and again, buy the same shit once and again... what for...

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, before you only wrote "What is this, 1996?", so your message made no sense at all to me (I don't own a crystalball)
Now you have edited it and I understand what you meant.

Anyway, what I mean is the enterprises are releasing emulators and cashing in, making slightly retextured improvements of the same old game and cashing in, it is BORING (and shameless).
It is not a matter of technology, it is just really boring to play the same shit once and again, buy the same shit once and again... what for...
We'll I don't want to re-buy everything or have to use more than 1 or 2 consoles. That defeats the whole purpose of the NS being both.

I think those re-releases of those stupid ass CoD, FIFA, and AC games, every year are boring and stupid! The new CoD is like the 7th or 8th version of MW.

I just want to play all my VC games on the go! So what if 3DS and Wii U games have to be ported over and are not BC with NS (physical or digital).

Last edited by 03bgood,

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
We don't know anything about Nintendo's plans, however on Android you can emulate the Wii pretty well and anything before it.

Sure it will suck having to re-buy games though from the Eshop as i'd imagine most people own physical copies of games, however emulation is the only option, which is exactly how you have GameBoy games for example on the 3DS.

Wii Emulation on Android:

Pointless worrying yet.

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We don't know anything about Nintendo's plans, however on Android you can emulate the Wii pretty well and anything before it.

Sure it will suck having to re-buy games though from the Eshop as i'd imagine most people own physical copies of games, however emulation is the only option, which is exactly how you have GameBoy games for example on the 3DS.

Pointless worrying yet.

Yes, emulation is the only option. I'm just worried about some games being omitted entirely; mainly 3DS, Wii, and Wii U games. NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBC, GBA, and DS games are hopefully taken care of, thanks to the Virtual Console. I'm not even talking about the hundreds of 3DS and Wii U eShop games like the Shantae series and Shovel Knight. Wii games on the Wii U are not emulated, the same way as NES, SNES, N64, GBA, and DS games. All those use save states, where Wii games don't.

Last edited by 03bgood,

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
it would be nice to play my wii u ssb online on the switch, but even nicer if we get a complete new ssb (no port) for the switch.

a new ssb for switch will be the reason i will buy the switch.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, emulation is the only option. I'm just worried about games being omitted entirely; mainly 3DS, Wii, and Wii U games. NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBC, GBA, and DS games are hopefully taken care of, thanks to the Virtual Console.
Well, emulation of Wii U games seems out of the question. This is a glorified Shield not a high-end computer. I suppose you can only expect a couple of ports (but considering there are only a couple of Wii U games it shouldn't be a problem).
Wii perhaps will come.
3DS I don't think so, at least not until the 3DS is very dead. (because of commercial reasons, not due to hardware limitations)

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it would be nice to play my wii u ssb online on the switch, but even nicer if we get a complete new ssb (no port) for the switch.

a new ssb for switch will be the reason i will buy the switch.
I'm fine with Wii U games being ported over. But I sure hope 3DS and Wii games are emulated right, if possible. I mean Wii games could still be done but 3DS won't be until maybe 3-4 years after the NS launch. DS VC games didn't come to the Wii U, until about 3-4 years after the launch. So maybe we'll get 3DS VC games on the NS, as early as 2020.

Considering that the Wii U was their worst selling console and only had about 100-150 games, that's not a big deal if they can't be emulated.

Last edited by 03bgood,

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What we all seem to forget is that because of no BC, Nintendo can sell the same sh*t over and over and over again.
Remember Donkey Kong Country 1,2 and 3?? Was on SNES, on GBA (as slightly modified versions), was on WII Virtual Console, is now on WIIU shop and will probably be again available on Switch.

My copies of Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 play just fine on my WIIU... going to Switch means I have to keep my Wiiu OR have to buy (again) some virtual digital console thingy for the switch (IF they even consider to port these games)

The reason I dislike (not hate :-) ) Sony and Microsoft is that for each generation you have to keep to old console in order to play some old games OR have to shell out more money for the same.
Backward compatibility is not a must but it surely is very very very nice to have.

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What we all seem to forget is that because of no BC, Nintendo can sell the same sh*t over and over and over again.
Remember Donkey Kong Country 1,2 and 3?? Was on SNES, on GBA (as slightly modified versions), was on WII Virtual Console, is now on WIIU shop and will probably be again available on Switch.

My copies of Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 play just fine on my WIIU... going to Switch means I have to keep my Wiiu OR have to buy (again) some virtual digital console thingy for the switch (IF they even consider to port these games)

The reason I dislike (not hate :-) ) Sony and Microsoft is that for each generation you have to keep to old console in order to play some old games OR have to shell out more money for the same.
Backward compatibility is not a must but it surely is very very very nice to have.
They really fucked up with the PS4, but at least we have BC with PS2 games, as well as PS3 games with PSNow. PS2 and PS3 were BC but PS3 dropped physical BC, later in the console's life.

Physical BC is pretty much, obsolete these days and I'm fine with that.

Last edited by 03bgood,

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

And that is the reason I said in my first post in some other Switch VC thread that what we really need is an improved eShop with automatic account portability keeping the games you own (included VC), like MS/SONY have been doing since the stone age.

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And that is the reason I said in my first post in this thread that what we really need is an improved eShop with automatic account portability keeping the games you own (included VC), like MS/SONY have been doing since the stone age.
Sony has been doing that since 2006. Two-Thousand and fucking six! Back then, you could get PS1 games, not only for the PS3, but for the PSP as well. Best of all, you only had to pay $6-10 once for them and that's it. You them for both PS3 and PSP. Today, the PS4 and Vita have the same thing as the PS3 and PSP, just not with PS1 games on the PS4. PS Vita has some PS1 games and PS4 has some PS2 games. Still pretty pissed that NA owners can't play the classic Crash and Spyro PS1 games on the Vita while EU and JP can.

Last edited by 03bgood,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulation is fine, as long as it's like the Virtual Console. I remember the PS3 using hardware emulation and then later models only used software emulation for PS1 and PS2 games.

They should've just stuck with the PowerPC processors, why go down a step backwards. That's not a good sign for things to come with the NS! If it turns out that NS can "only" play NS games and none of Nintendo's previous library of console/handheld games, then I hate to say it but the NS could become the Dreamcast 2.0! They don't need another failure, like they had with the Wii U. Nintendo always had a thing for BC since the GBA and Wii eras. The only consoles that didn't have BC were NES, SNES, N64, and GCN because the technology wasn't possible back in the 90s and early 2000s.

Because PPC is an old architecture and isn't friendly for developers; the Xbox One and PS4 both use x86 architecture which is far easier to port for, it's what PCs use, why complicate it for developers and alienate them? This is a big reason why the Wii U didn't get as many AAA ports, I don't see why people are up in arms about, well, ARM. PowerPC is ancient, not developer-friendly, whereas Intel/AMD x86 architecture is. Unless you want delayed ports or no ports at all, sure, have them stick to IBM's old architecture *shrug*

Edit: To reiterate, PPC is not easy to develop for, at all, and is a turnoff for developers; x64 is more universal and easier to program for, it's what PCs use. I don't see why people don't see it that way.

Edit 2: I should also note that I wrote this after waking up, so it might be a bit weird; ARM is easier to port for than PPC.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: Deleted User

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
The left screen shows the top DS/3DS screen and the right screen shows the bottom or they could even be reversed. Its on a single screen but a splitscreen, similar to the way the Wii U runs the DS VC games. Hell, even the 2DS only has a single screen that splits the top and bottom screens.
you can also turn the tablet vertically...
people are stupid to film vertically but sudendly can't use a device like nintendo switch in vertical?

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Emulation is fine, as long as it's like the Virtual Console. I remember the PS3 using hardware emulation and then later models only used software emulation for PS1 and PS2 games.

They should've just stuck with the PowerPC processors, why go down a step backwards. That's not a good sign for things to come with the NS! If it turns out that NS can "only" play NS games and none of Nintendo's previous library of console/handheld games, then I hate to say it but the NS could become the Dreamcast 2.0! They don't need another failure, like they had with the Wii U. Nintendo always had a thing for BC since the GBA and Wii eras. The only consoles that didn't have BC were NES, SNES, N64, and GCN because the technology wasn't possible back in the 90s and early 2000s.
NS wont be able to easily run Wiiu. it might need an additional power module kinda like when you use your psvr but hopefully not as big.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If BC is axed off completely, then the NS will be an even bigger failure that the Wii U.

Not necessarily. The Wii U is a bigger failure without a third party. If NS have a bigger 3rd party support then it will be successfully without a BC. I am sure that they will have Wii U ports or VC. Again, involving third party is the key and BC is not.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Every time a new console get out there's this discussion, and I really don't understand why people still bother with backward compatibility. Best case it's useful because you'll save space on your TV shelf, worst case you'll just have to keep your old console around. And I really don't understand why people are angry : the only time a Big N home system (yes, Switch is a home system, not a portable one) was with the SNES and GB via an adaptater, and Wii with GC if I recall correctly. So this isn't a surprise. Same thing with the 3DS BC : why would they do that ? We can't even talk about BC because Switch is a home system and 3DS a portable one !

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

Pointless worrying yet.

O.o
What kind of specs has that phone? Or is it a shield/nvidia?

On topic, people seem to forget that the first years (1-2, maybe 3) of a console it doesn't have much games yet, it's nice to be able to rely on your old games without having to carry 1648281 consoles/handhelds with you everywhere you go. Imagine if you needed to have a ps1, ps2, ps3, ps4, xbox/360/one, GCN/Wii/Wiiu/Switch ALL in your living room just to have a "retro gaming" night? And i'm not even counting the handhelds. Emulation is nice, but it's better to have official emulation/VC from the developers instead of HB based. (Unless it gets to the point where you can upscale and refilter to give new life to those games)...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O.o
What kind of specs has that phone? Or is it a shield/nvidia?

On topic, people seem to forget that the first years (1-2, maybe 3) of a console it doesn't have much games yet, it's nice to be able to rely on your old games without having to carry 1648281 consoles/handhelds with you everywhere you go. Imagine if you needed to have a ps1, ps2, ps3, ps4, xbox/360/one, GCN/Wii/Wiiu/Switch ALL in your living room just to have a "retro gaming" night? And i'm not even counting the handhelds. Emulation is nice, but it's better to have official emulation/VC from the developers instead of HB based. (Unless it gets to the point where you can upscale and refilter to give new life to those games)...

Hmm, the VC emulators for Snes and NES are often worse than unofficial emulators (Wii U Snes and NES comes to mind, Snes9xGx and Nestopia Undead slaughter Nintendo's emulation efforts, you can't even play games with SuperFX chips on VC), backwards compat often uses a compatibility layer, almost like a virtual machine, that ensures 100% compatibility. Emulation on the VC is sub par at best and is nowhere near 100% compatibility.

NERD wrote the DS emulator on Wii U, whereas M2 wrote the GBA emulator, both of those are superior in terms of accuracy than Nintendo's Snes, N64 and NES offerings (dark colors, blurry as heck, low compat, etc).

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
What is this, 1996? At least it made sense back then. SNES and N64 weren't even powerful enough, even for hardware BC with their previous games, NES and SNES.

You do know that we have more technology then we did 20 years ago, right?
Let's see...
Actual year: 2016. Current consoles: Playstation 4, Xbox One and Wii U
Playstation 4: no retrocompatibility at all. success rate: top of the charts.
Xbox One: limited retrocompatibility. success rate: second place.
Wii U: full retrocompatibility with Wii. success rate: shameful last place with no possibility to catch up.

That is the reality kid, accept it, you add retrocompatibility and you waste precious resources that could go somewhere else and lose sales, this is a business not Christmas nor charity.

you can also turn the tablet vertically...
people are stupid to film vertically but sudendly can't use a device like nintendo switch in vertical?
Exactly my thoughts, or they could just fit the two screens leaving black spaces at the sides, not like DS games have such high res that you'll lose detail.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: 🦛 🐦 (🐑🐑) 🦛 🐦 (🐑🐑) 🦛 🐦 🦌🐑 🦛🐦 (🐑🐑)