Hacking Backup Launcher by Wiigator

Mario264

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I get a weird problem. When i try to load a game it gives me a error that says: Exception (DSI) occurred! followed by lines of code then it says CODE DUMP: followed by more lines of code... what did i do wrong?

Lafie

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wiigator: I was wondering if you could give us a little status report on your progress with eliminating the 'Game Disc could not be read' error, maybe on your blog or right here.
Thanks in advance.
EDIT: it appears that besides this 'Game Disc could not be read' error and the similar 'An error occurred' error, the only games that don't work need a very early IOS. So with those errors fixed (which in my unprofessional opinion is just one problem, not two), we'd have a damn brilliant backup loader. Color me impressed.

LAA

Trophies
XP
Country
pebls123 said:
Whats better(has more compatibility) Decrypted or 1:1?

1:1 apparently.
Although, from what I see, they're both the same...
People say that patched and 1:1 of some games dont work e.g. Star Wars
WiiGator said 1:1 has better compatibilty, so I suppose 1:1 is better.

tomazzzi

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there any way to use both backup loader 0.1 & 0.3 ?

Most games i have don t work anymore with 0.3.....we ski star wars unleashed simpsons etc....

Thanks for your work !

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
tomazzzi said:

Most games i have don t work anymore with 0.3.....we ski star wars unleashed simpsons etc....

Thanks for your work !

yeah like mine... mario galaxy was working fine with the exception of a long loading time at the start. now it doesnt seem to work at all, just hangs at the loading game after all the options have been displayed...

LAA

Trophies
XP
Country
mikeyt1998 said:
tomazzzi said:

Thanks for your work !

yeah like mine... mario galaxy was working fine with the exception of a long loading time at the start. now it doesnt seem to work at all, just hangs at the loading game after all the options have been displayed...

Yeah, the same applies to me too.
I reckon that when the final version comes, all will be solved.
At the moment, 0.1 is still the best backup loader at the moment.
As much as 0.3 is A LOT FASTER than 0.1, speed is irrevellant if the games arent working.
No Offence WiiGator + Waninkoko, this is only BETA, so I knew it wasnt going to be perfect straight away.
Keep up the good work!

tomazzzi

Trophies
XP
Country
I would really love to be still able to use the 0.1 loader cause i have many patched games & the 0.3 loader patched compatibility seems bad.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
LAA said:
mikeyt1998 said:
tomazzzi said:

Thanks for your work !

Yeah, the same applies to me too.
I reckon that when the final version comes, all will be solved.
At the moment, 0.1 is still the best backup loader at the moment.
As much as 0.3 is A LOT FASTER than 0.1, speed is irrevellant if the games arent working.
No Offence WiiGator + Waninkoko, this is only BETA, so I knew it wasnt going to be perfect straight away.
Keep up the good work!

agreed, but the final is supposed to be the best. i think that the compatability of the loader is much better, its just that we're not wanting the right games to play lol

WiiGator

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Lafie said:
My 2 cents about the 'Game Disc could not be read.' error in relation to this new loader.
The game gives that error message, whenever it doesn't get the right data (or no data at all) from the disc. So naturally, the problem is with Wiigator's custom dvd read code. What I think (and I can't be sure, ofcourse) is that Wiigator either removed or didn't add certain sanity/integrity checks when reading the discs, probably to improve speed.
This can also explain, why some people get the error with all games, and others only with some, because with a bad DVD media or a dodgy burn, the integrity checks become much more important, because bad data will come along faster with bad DVD media.
Ofcourse, the above is complete speculation, but I'm pretty certain the problem is rather trivial and if found, pretty easy to fix (i.e. doesn't require major rewrite of code).

P.S. It could also be that the loader uses certain memory addresses as buffer, which are actually in use by other wii processes, but this doesn't explain the error quite that well.

Now you know what problems I had the last week. The same games were reported to work and not to work by different testers. When I tried a game, it was working for me and when I asked Waninkoko, the games were also working for him. I wanted to know which Wii configuration leads to the problem. I was already thinking that I need to retry a read when it fails, but the old loader doesn't do this. All testers reported that the games were working before, so I was thinking that the burned disc must be good. I was wondering why marcan added retry code to dvdx libs. Maybe he saw that reads sometimes fail. I will give some testers a version with read retry for test. Also I must say that I only use high quality DVD-R, maybe this is the cause why I don't see the errors.

Can the people, which have game running, and the people, which have the same game not running, discuss the differences?
e.g. System menu version, DVD-R type, language, screen resolution, chipset on Wii, PAL/NTSC

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and speed burnt at !!!

quality disc, burn speed x4 and do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! use NERO .. gives mostly bullet proof results.

personally i have found burning too fast makes games lock-up randomly.

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
mikeyt1998 said:
Mario Galaxy works fine with 0.3, you've obviously got a bad burn (or you messed up ripping it).

People should also stop burning at 2x or 4x, unless they have a old 4x burner. 16x discs don't burn at 4x very well, and most burners certainly don't have a 4x write strategy for 16x discs.

Burn your 16x discs at 8-16x (Verbatim MCC MiT burn very well at 8x and 12x, Verbatim TY MiJ are best burned at 8) with imgburn.

LAA

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiGator said:
Lafie said:
My 2 cents about the 'Game Disc could not be read.' error in relation to this new loader.
The game gives that error message, whenever it doesn't get the right data (or no data at all) from the disc. So naturally, the problem is with Wiigator's custom dvd read code. What I think (and I can't be sure, ofcourse) is that Wiigator either removed or didn't add certain sanity/integrity checks when reading the discs, probably to improve speed.
This can also explain, why some people get the error with all games, and others only with some, because with a bad DVD media or a dodgy burn, the integrity checks become much more important, because bad data will come along faster with bad DVD media.
Ofcourse, the above is complete speculation, but I'm pretty certain the problem is rather trivial and if found, pretty easy to fix (i.e. doesn't require major rewrite of code).

P.S. It could also be that the loader uses certain memory addresses as buffer, which are actually in use by other wii processes, but this doesn't explain the error quite that well.

Now you know what problems I had the last week. The same games were reported to work and not to work by different testers. When I tried a game, it was working for me and when I asked Waninkoko, the games were also working for him. I wanted to know which Wii configuration leads to the problem. I was already thinking that I need to retry a read when it fails, but the old loader doesn't do this. All testers reported that the games were working before, so I was thinking that the burned disc must be good. I was wondering why marcan added retry code to dvdx libs. Maybe he saw that reads sometimes fail. I will give some testers a version with read retry for test. Also I must say that I only use high quality DVD-R, maybe this is the cause why I don't see the errors.

Can the people, which have game running, and the people, which have the same game not running, discuss the differences?
e.g. System menu version, DVD-R type, language, screen resolution, chipset on Wii, PAL/NTSC

Hmm...
Its sounds weried that games wotk for some and not for others.
Maybe reads just sometime fail using the method...
I only use High Qulity DVD-R's too (Thank you Dad!)
I was looking at the wii backup loader compatibility list before and people were saying Wario Land (PAL + Patched) works, but the video is still slightly slow.
Whenever I try and play it, it usually always crashes when the girl appears, but I just tried it before and it got to a new high score! It got up to the globe and the girl was there!
The lowest Score I got was the very beginning, it crashed straight away!
I think force NTSC makes it work a but better.
I think it just varies when it crashes now.
I have 3.3E, I used a DVD-R (High Quality), English (PAL), I think 480i, I have no chip and the console and game are both PAL.

Another game I was reading about was warioware (PAL + I'm not sure...).
People were saying it worked, but the cutscenes were sometimes bad.
For me, it just says "Eject DVD and switch off wii".
I havent tried Force anything yet, so I'll try that later.
Same as above.

Hope this helps!

francerossina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
WiiGator said:

Wiigator, which DVD are you using?
Because I use Verbatim DVD+R (DVD-ROM booktype) and I didn't experience any game disk error with my backup

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land