Hacking Backup Launcher by Wiigator

NeoNight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ppc_gba said:
just tried wario: shake it! and it works with the modified cios and wanin's backup loader! after waiting ~10 mins for the 1st unskippable video to pass, i was able to play thru the tutorial and continue to the next stage without it crashing. for those wondering, apparently you have to buy stages in a shop (in the game) to continue thru the game.

it is odd that the wiigator loader would have trouble with this, but maybe the new one will work.

Didn't wario work with wanin's leaked loader already?....

knowitall599

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to sound like a dick or anything, but jesus people don't be retarded; the fix worked and everything is OK! (at least with Waninkiko's loader). If you have any questions please ask, but please oh please read up on the forums first.

ppc_gba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey what if we somehow add some simple threading support in to the ios (i remember seeing a simple c-based threading library somewhere), maybe we could change IOCTL_DI_UNENCREAD so it only reads every other sector and then run two threads of it at once (so between the two, all sectors would get read), anyone think this could have the potential to help?

either that or maybe we could change the sector size that is passed to DI_ReadDvd so it would read more each time it executes (not sure if it will allow this or if it might cause errors...).

edit: found this example of threading in libogc on tehskeen: http://tehwii.tehskeen.com/tehwii/examples/lwp.c

another idea is to have memcpy run in a thread while the next section of data is being read from the dvd to another dvd buffer variable in memory. that way, we won't have to wait for the buffer to be copied to wherever it needs to go. although maybe wiigator has already bypassed this problem by fully replacing the di module, but it's still an idea.

looseskrewz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ether2802 said:
@ ppc_gba:

Your fix_ios didn't worked for me, everything when just like the other cIOS (36rev4) except for Mario Strikers, wich happens to work sometimes (if not freeze), and now with your fix_ios I get the PSoD (Pink Screen of Death), that was the only diference; tryed with:

Medal Of Honor Vanguard: Give me the an error ocurred eject the disc and turn off the Wii (same with all)
Fifa '08: Stop at the wiimote security (desync the wiimote and never sync) (same with all)
Mario Strikers: PSoD (just with ppc_gba's fix_ios)

p.s. i reset the Wii before trying any game, and i couldn't unistalled with "Wad Manager", I had to use the "Waninkoko's cIOS Unistaller"

Sorry bout this guys, but.....

I hate to be the one to break it to you dude, but I'm pretty sure your colorblind.
I am being totally serious.

You better check it out here:

Colorblindness Test

Rcolon85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looseskrewz said:
ether2802 said:
@ ppc_gba:

Your fix_ios didn't worked for me, everything when just like the other cIOS (36rev4) except for Mario Strikers, wich happens to work sometimes (if not freeze), and now with your fix_ios I get the PSoD (Pink Screen of Death), that was the only diference; tryed with:

Medal Of Honor Vanguard: Give me the an error ocurred eject the disc and turn off the Wii (same with all)
Fifa '08: Stop at the wiimote security (desync the wiimote and never sync) (same with all)

p.s. i reset the Wii before trying any game, and i couldn't unistalled with "Wad Manager", I had to use the "Waninkoko's cIOS Unistaller"

I hate to be the one to break it to you dude, but I'm pretty sure your colorblind.

Colorblindness Test

No Shit I passed...lol That was very off topic

Rcolon85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ppc_gba said:
hey what if we somehow add some simple threading support in to the ios (i remember seeing a simple c-based threading library somewhere), maybe we could change IOCTL_DI_UNENCREAD so it only reads every other sector and then run two threads of it at once (so between the two, all sectors would get read), anyone think this could have the potential to help?

either that or maybe we could change the sector size that is passed to DI_ReadDvd so it would read more each time it executes (not sure if it will allow this or if it might cause errors...).

edit: found this example of threading in libogc on tehskeen: http://tehwii.tehskeen.com/tehwii/examples/lwp.c

another idea is to have memcpy run in a thread while the next section of data is being read from the dvd to another dvd buffer variable in memory. that way, we won't have to wait for the buffer to be copied to wherever it needs to go. although maybe wiigator has already bypassed this problem by fully replacing the di module, but it's still an idea.

that sound like a very interesting idea

Motoko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hmm anyone in contact with wiigator? we really need a place to store info on this new beta. and did anyone try and upgrade the gekko?

Treacha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
magic12 said:
anyone tested this alpha 2 version on PAL wii with the pal games. can we have some compatibility info from PAL testers?

A few pages back i think it was page 63 there is some one testing everything pal in a pal console and shows good compatibility, NTSC brings more problems to the table as it seems...

crazyguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
magic12 said:
anyone tested this alpha 2 version on PAL wii with the pal games. can we have some compatibility info from PAL testers?

Its me!
wink.gif

Tested so far:

Super Paper Mario - Works fine
Obscure 2 - Works Fine
Rayman Raving Rabbits 2 - Works Fine
Star Wars The Force Unleashed - Works fine
Bully - NOT working
Wario Land - Don't know if it is better than with V0.1 because of the long video which I dont have the patience to wait
Metroid Prime 3 - Working, better loading times than v0.1
Worms A Space Oddity - Working
Battalion Wars 2 - Videos very very bad but game is working well

Will post when I test other ones...

ghorricks

Trophies
Website
en.wikipedia.org
XP
Country
United States
Wiigator,

Well done for continuing to improve the backup loader. I am sure I speak for almost everyone when I say that your effort and skills are appreciated and we know you must be spending significant time on this project.

Load times are probably the most requested improvement required, as I think that the load times do cause some games to crash.

I remember hunting around the web for a Channel (WAD) version of the backup loader, and although It's rude to ask you, I am sure you can appreciate that a WAD version of your loader is easier to use AND people would trust it more coming from the author. I'd hate to use a WAD file and it brick my Wii.

Anyways... I am sure you're getting lots of praise for your work, and I like many others are eager to see what the latest release will bring...

Good luck.

Gav

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you install a new IOS, do you have to uninstall the old one?

Wait... How come some people like 56killer are saying nothings working, but other people like crazyguy has pretty much everything working? Are we talking the same loader here?

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nin10doFan said:
If you install a new IOS, do you have to uninstall the old one?

Wait... How come some people like 56killer are saying nothings working, but other people like crazyguy has pretty much everything working? Are we talking the same loader here?
I honestly have no idea..I didn't know this many had the beta.

Cooler89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiGator said:
Hello,

I need testers for the next version. Here are some notes:
- The files are not for public release. Don't give the files to others. If anybody give it away, I will not release the source code, until it is finished. Public release will be later.
- The files should not brick your Wii. But in general before changing something in the NAND, you should dump your NAND and your keys (e.g. with xyzzy). You should also have the homebrew channel installed, so you have the ability to use SaveMii.
- The load time is faster, but not fast enough for video.
- Fixed strange bugs like the Mario-Kart second race problem.
- dvdx is not required anymore.
- DVDs need still to be converted.
- I think it will not fix games, that doesn't start at all. This should fix bugs within games.

Who have enough games for a good test?

let me make one thing clear note it wil not fix games which doesnt start at all it only fixes bugs in the game so dont accept it to fix all the games that doesnt work and yes the loading time is faster, the mario kart bug is fixed and dvdx is not required but the games which does not work it will not work with this version it only fixes bugs in the game

Golfje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Cooler89 said:
WiiGator said:
Hello,

I need testers for the next version. Here are some notes:
- The files are not for public release. Don't give the files to others. If anybody give it away, I will not release the source code, until it is finished. Public release will be later.
- The files should not brick your Wii. But in general before changing something in the NAND, you should dump your NAND and your keys (e.g. with xyzzy). You should also have the homebrew channel installed, so you have the ability to use SaveMii.
- The load time is faster, but not fast enough for video.
- Fixed strange bugs like the Mario-Kart second race problem.
- dvdx is not required anymore.
- DVDs need still to be converted.
- I think it will not fix games, that doesn't start at all. This should fix bugs within games.

Who have enough games for a good test?

let me make one thing clear note it wil not fix games which doesnt start at all it only fixes bugs in the game so dont accept it to fix all the games that doesnt work and yes the loading time is faster, the mario kart bug is fixed and dvdx is not required but the games which does not work it will not work with this version it only fixes bugs in the game

At what time will the new loader be public ????

nit3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Golfje said:

When it's ready. Let's not pressure these guys and let them work as long as it is required....

Let's all be patient and thankful for they have the time and skills to provide us with this software.

I'd rather wait couple weeks and have something bug-less (or as bug free as it can be done) than rush them.

startreker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Golfje said:
@Golfje - Please don't ever ask any question like that ever again. The people who work on this project don't make money and do it in their spare time. As much as they would love to know when it is going to be done, the plain and simple fact is that they don't. Whenever they work through enough of the bugs in code and they feel it is substantially worth calling the next version in the backup creator they will. Just be happy in the fact that real progress is being made to make the backups run more smoothly. Often times your comments are the ones that make the developers angry and you care only about the end result and don't care about all the work involved in making the program work.

@everyone else - Forgive him he didn't know better.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
looseskrewz said:
ether2802 said:
@ ppc_gba:

Colorblindness Test

Why the test??

rolly

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
hello, I'm Italian, I'm interested to wiigator backup launcher.
I have already tried the previous version.
My "Kung Fu Panda" backup was loaded, but the video is slow and audio in game there isn't

how can I participate in the test team of the new launcher?

Thank's all
Bye
Rob

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: istg if lose another game of minesweeper