Backup Launcher 0.3 beta

darthjulius

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Cyberxion said:
I'm running into a bit of trouble. The compatibility list shows Mario Kart Wii as running flawlessly, but I can't get past the point where it shows you the wrist-strap nonsense at start-up. After that screen, it goes black and then refuses to load. It may be a bad burn, but has anyone else run into this problem, and if so, how did you manage to fix it? Oh, I'm using the PAL version on an NTSC system. I think that the ISO was patched with Brickblocker previously to me downloading it. Dunno if that might have an effect.

Also, I have to go back in and re-install everything required to get this to work each and every time I want to use it. I have plenty of memory left, so I'm not sure what the problem is. @_@

Hello, I used to have the same kind of problem (it was a wrong cios install), since the dumper was made for an specific cios (try downloading an iso to see if it works). When I installed the correct CIOS (posted by Wiigator) the problem was solved or you can try also Waninkoko's new CIOS (it says it works with Backup launcher 0.3).

Mine is running flawlessly, some patched games don't work anymore (but I backed up the clean dumps so I can re-burn again), and in other cases like Mario Strikers (the clean game doesn't work, but the patched does). Other games simple don't work (get the disc error screen) like Simpsons Game or Starwars Force Unleashed and they used to work with prior versions (maybe Wiigator you can embedd older versions within the new version and add a condition (if you can detect that kind of error in the code to use the "older" code instead, it won't run as fast as the new version but at least will increase the compatibility).

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
apu2009 said:
Woo, this is my first venture into Wii Homebrew... I've made a little progress, but I'm stuck now. Here's what I've done so far:

- I successfully ran the Twilight Princess hack and installed the HBC (My Wii has 3.3U installed and has never touched anything homebrew related)
- I then ran WiiGator's cIOS Installer, and while it worked with wireless, it returns the following:

QUOTE said:
Adding content ID 00000000
install_nus_object(0x8005d7e0, 0)

ES_AddContentStart(00000001000000f9, )

ES_AddContentStart(00000001000000f9, ) failed: -1017

install returned -1

At that point I realized something had gone wrong due to the -1 and -1017 results.

- I ran WiiGator's Backup Loader anyway with Wii Music (burned on a TDK DVD+R [booktype changed to DVD-ROM]) and I get two overlapping errors which I could barely make out. I decided to look at the source code for the loader to see where the error code strings were. I determined that the two errors I got were:

- Set decrypt failed
- No DVD

At this point I'm not sure what to do... I'm not sure if installing Waninkoko's cIOS would help, but I'd rather not install stuff until I'm sure of what to do.

Despite all of this, I'm still happy I'm dipping my feet into the homebrew scene. Thanks a lot for all your work WiiGator =)

**UPDATE**
I was able to downgrade to 3.2U using the post here. I'm going to try and run the cIOS installer again now... *crosses fingers*

**UPDATE #2**
Poop... While I was able to downgrade to 3.2U, I still get the same errors as before. *stumped*

**UPDATE #3**
I just tried installing Waninkoko's Custom IOS36 rev 06 and I get a -2011 error. I'm so close to getting the Backup Launcher to work >_<

Personally, I downloaded a pack with already had the "wi-fi" related files on them.

So basically, with a 3.1 firmware (but should be the same in 3.2), I did that :

- Downloaded this .rar file : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TDO8I4GV
- Extract it and copied the "00000001" directory on the root of my SD Card, then copied "Backup_launcher" & "cIOS_Installer" sub directory in an apps\ directory of your SD Card.

So basically, you should have at the end :

X:000001\
X:\apps\Backup_Launcher\
X:\apps\cIOS_Installer\

Where X is the letter of your SD CARD on your computer.

- Powered on my Wii with the SD CARD in it, then loaded the Homebrew Channel.
- Installed the cIOS by selecting the entry in the homebrew channel, then waited until the end of the installation)

And it's over, then I just selecting the backup loader entry, put the DVD-R in the Wii then loaded the game and it worked fine.

But before, I had installed the first beta of Waninkoko/Wiigator Loader so maybe it helped, don't know at all (the one which needed DVDX), but from what Wiigator said, it's not needed to have installed the previous one before to install the new one.

If you always have some problems, you could always try to download an appz which can uninstall cIOS, maybe the few attempts of installation put some garbage or other, which the appz will clean, then you can start to install it again.

I think I show some peoples with some problems during the installation of the cIOS so you will probably be able to find a way to run it (by trying what I say or by searching on this forum).

The only thing which can actually prevent the loader for running (if I'm right) is people who have 3.3 and who did the last Wii Shop Channel update (and which didn't have a custom cIOS installed before on their Wii, which prevent them from downgrading)

Thor1981

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nextgencorp.es
XP
Country
I'm seeing a lot of changes launcher backup v 0.3, also launched a new waninkoko services v36 rev 6, now is not that services should work, someone can help me?

apu2009

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
davhuit said:
apu2009 said:
Woo, this is my first venture into Wii Homebrew... I've made a little progress, but I'm stuck now. Here's what I've done so far:

- I successfully ran the Twilight Princess hack and installed the HBC (My Wii has 3.3U installed and has never touched anything homebrew related)
- I then ran WiiGator's cIOS Installer, and while it worked with wireless, it returns the following:

QUOTE said:
Adding content ID 00000000
install_nus_object(0x8005d7e0, 0)

ES_AddContentStart(00000001000000f9, )

ES_AddContentStart(00000001000000f9, ) failed: -1017

install returned -1

At that point I realized something had gone wrong due to the -1 and -1017 results.

- I ran WiiGator's Backup Loader anyway with Wii Music (burned on a TDK DVD+R [booktype changed to DVD-ROM]) and I get two overlapping errors which I could barely make out. I decided to look at the source code for the loader to see where the error code strings were. I determined that the two errors I got were:

- Set decrypt failed
- No DVD

At this point I'm not sure what to do... I'm not sure if installing Waninkoko's cIOS would help, but I'd rather not install stuff until I'm sure of what to do.

Despite all of this, I'm still happy I'm dipping my feet into the homebrew scene. Thanks a lot for all your work WiiGator =)

**UPDATE**
I was able to downgrade to 3.2U using the post here. I'm going to try and run the cIOS installer again now... *crosses fingers*

**UPDATE #2**
Poop... While I was able to downgrade to 3.2U, I still get the same errors as before. *stumped*

**UPDATE #3**
I just tried installing Waninkoko's Custom IOS36 rev 06 and I get a -2011 error. I'm so close to getting the Backup Launcher to work >_<

Personally, I downloaded a pack with already had the "wi-fi" related files on them.

So basically, with a 3.1 firmware (but should be the same in 3.2), I did that :

- Downloaded this .rar file : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TDO8I4GV
- Extract it and copied the "00000001" directory on the root of my SD Card, then copied "Backup_launcher" & "cIOS_Installer" sub directory in an apps\ directory of your SD Card.

So basically, you should have at the end :

X:000001\
X:\apps\Backup_Launcher\
X:\apps\cIOS_Installer\

Where X is the letter of your SD CARD on your computer.

- Powered on my Wii with the SD CARD in it, then loaded the Homebrew Channel.
- Installed the cIOS by selecting the entry in the homebrew channel, then waited until the end of the installation)

And it's over, then I just selecting the backup loader entry, put the DVD-R in the Wii then loaded the game and it worked fine.

But before, I had installed the first beta of Waninkoko/Wiigator Loader so maybe it helped, don't know at all (the one which needed DVDX), but from what Wiigator said, it's not needed to have installed the previous one before to install the new one.

If you always have some problems, you could always try to download an appz which can uninstall cIOS, maybe the few attempts of installation put some garbage or other, which the appz will clean, then you can start to install it again.

I think I show some peoples with some problems during the installation of the cIOS so you will probably be able to find a way to run it (by trying what I say or by searching on this forum).

The only thing which can actually prevent the loader for running (if I'm right) is people who have 3.3 and who did the last Wii Shop Channel update (and which didn't have a custom cIOS installed before on their Wii, which prevent them from downgrading)

Mkay... I'm not sure where to go from here then. I'm a bit in both situations xD. Before I started with homebrew, I had no cIOS and also updated to 3.3U. I'm not sure if updating to 3.3 automatically applies the Wii Shop update or not (I updated using only the System options menu). After updating I ran the cIOS installer that came with Wiigator's package, and it started downloading the necessary files. Once it got to the installation, it failed at the error code in my previous post. I decided to look around the forum and realized that my fatal mistake was installing the 3.3U update. Eventually, I managed to downgrade back to 3.2U using the guide in here. I tried running the cIOS installer again after downgrading , but got the same error. I'm not sure if there's some remaining IOS or cIOS there that I don't know of. I'm not sure which one to remove either
frown.gif
. I have AnyTitleDeleter, Waninkoko's cIOS Uninstaller 1.1, Waninkoko's cIOS Downgrader 1.2 to use, but again, I'm not sure which cIOS to remove (if any). Any ideas on where to go from here?

Thanks for the response davhuit
smile.gif

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
is your problem with the beta 3 install or the fact that you updated your wii ??

Try downloading the zip file i have in my sig and read the How To and follow all of that and see if it fixes things ... back up what you have on your SD card beforehand.

apu2009

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
djtaz said:
is your problem with the beta 3 install or the fact that you updated your wii ??

Try downloading the zip file i have in my sig and read the How To and follow all of that and see if it fixes things ... back up what you have on your SD card beforehand.

Thanks a lot for the response djtaz
smile.gif

I'm not sure whether the problem is with the beta 3 install or the update process... I'm leaning slightly more towards the update process blocking something (even though I've downgraded). I'll download the zip and give it a shot
smile.gif
. Should I follow the how to exactly, or would I have to add/skip steps since I've installed certain things already?

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
apu2009 said:
djtaz said:

Thanks a lot for the response djtaz
smile.gif

I'm not sure whether the problem is with the beta 3 install or the update process... I'm leaning slightly more towards the update process blocking something (even though I've downgraded). I'll download the zip and give it a shot
smile.gif
. Should I follow the how to exactly, or would I have to add/skip steps since I've installed certain things already?

Id try the lot again - re-installing something if its there wont make any difference.
I know i had to re-install a cIOS a few times to get it working properly so worth giving it a go again.

apu2009

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
djtaz said:
Id try the lot again - re-installing something if its there wont make any difference.
I know i had to re-install a cIOS a few times to get it working properly so worth giving it a go again.

Mkay, I ran into a problem with the how to... I installed the homebrew channel successfully, and then I went on to run the Safe Update 3.3 (I know it's optional, but it definitely is handy to have). I got this error message:

QUOTEFound new-school ES hash check @ 0x5aea, patching.

Download complete. Installing to Title 00000001-00000033...
1...\:
ES_AddContentStart(0000000100000033, 0) failed: -1017

install returned -1
Installation complete!
Something failed. Sorry.
Press any key to quit.

Not sure what to do with that xD. I could always proceed with the steps, but by the looks of it, I'll run into the same error I was running into before...

*UPDATE*
Out of curiosity, I tried downgrading to 3.1U to see if it would work, and the same error message occurs.
Something else that may be of interest is that running AnyTitleDeleter also a similar error messages (not all of them are written):
"Informing Wii that I am God...Error! ES_Identity (ret = -1017)"

redoxoder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello

wiigator do you have news on your backup launcher

do you working on v0.3 (new ios??) or v0.4

can you give us info on your progress

thks

ps: v0.3 is already good new version will be great
:-)

Cyberxion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I obviously don't get this stuff, so it's all going over my head. The only game I've managed to get running properly to any satisfactory degree is Wii Music. Mario Kart, Paper Mario and Carnival Games: Mini-Golf all fail to run. They get to the warning screen about proper use of the strap and whatnot, and then go to a black screen before turning out a disk-read error in the end. Well, not all the time, and that's the frustrating thing. I got in-game with Carnival Games and Paper Mario. Once each game. After that, they've continuously given me disk-read errors. Mario Kart has never gotten past the warning screen at all. Interestingly enough, the games that don't work are all PAL, and my console is NTSC. Could that be causing problems?

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the cIOS, and that's why I actually managed to get in-game in Carnival Games and Paper Mario. I've read that if it you run into excessive errors, it might be due to a faulty cIOS install. The trouble is, it hasn't seemed to properly install. What makes this all worse is that I'm a total n00b, and none of the information I've found, including that in this thread, is very newbie friendly. Which is no big deal mind you, but it would be fantastic if there was a tutorial for complete and total idiots like myself.
tongue.gif

If any of you have any insight into my problem, I'd be forever grateful. Could my system version effect this? Do I need any cIOS besides the one posted in the FAQ at the start of this thread? I'm completely at a loss.

Thanks for bearing with me guys. You've been great so far. I'm just having trouble working this all out.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
apu2009 said:
*UPDATE*
Out of curiosity, I tried downgrading to 3.1U to see if it would work, and the same error message occurs.
Something else that may be of interest is that running AnyTitleDeleter also a similar error messages (not all of them are written):

I think you may have the latest Nintendo updated IOS that was released on October 23rd that prevents you from doing quite a lot of things -
You will need to downgrade your system , but get confirmation off someone else before you do.

apu2009

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
djtaz said:
apu2009 said:
*UPDATE*

I think you may have the latest Nintendo updated IOS that was released on October 23rd that prevents you from doing quite a lot of things -
You will need to downgrade your system , but get confirmation off someone else before you do.

Ah okay... What's the proper process to downgrade the system? I guess using Waninkoko's cIOS Downgrader doesn't work so well if I still have the latest version despite downgrading to 3.1U. I'll PM WiiGator to see if he can confirm that downgrading is the best option and I'll post back afterwards.

Thanks again djtaz
smile.gif

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
apu2009 said:
You have updated your wii to 3.3, all ios have now been patched. You are unable to install any wads, including the cios.

Your only way out now is to use IOS16 as documented in a few threads around here.

And then in future don't update - there is nothing handy about it.

Cyberxion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Newbie here. How do I use the cIOS installer read retry file for the backup launcher? Like, where on my SD card do I put it, and how do I run it?

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cyberxion said:
Newbie here. How do I use the cIOS installer read retry file for the backup launcher? Like, where on my SD card do I put it, and how do I run it?

Its a DOL file so put it into the Apps folder in a folder called cios fix on your SD card and rename it to boot.dol - it should load that way from the homebrew channel.

Cyberxion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I had it in the right place, I just didn't rename the file properly. Alright, I'll give it a try. I'm about at my wits end here.
tongue.gif

I do appreciate the work of everyone involved, especially the guys who brought us these loaders in the first place. Fantastic stuff, even if I'm about to go insane trying to work it out.
biggrin.gif

I ran it. Can't tell if it made a bit of difference. Games still aren't loading. Thanks for the help though dude. You rock.

apu2009

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
quim69 said:
apu2009 said:
You have updated your wii to 3.3, all ios have now been patched. You are unable to install any wads, including the cios.

Your only way out now is to use IOS16 as documented in a few threads around here.

Yes, I updated to 3.3. However, I did downgrade to 3.2 and subsequently 3.1. I am able to install WADs, as I've confirmed by installing a few WiiWare titles. The issue has to be something else... It's very strange that I can install WADs but not install the cIOS I need... Also, by using IOS16, what would I accomplish?

WizardDani

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
quim69 said:
apu2009 said:

It isn't the only way out, I posted how I was able to downgrade 7 pages ago. (downgrade using waninkoko to 3.2, then install the wanin's ORIGINAL IOS36 wad).

wiigee

Trophies
XP
Country
so, hows the public beta testing going?,

its been out for a week now and i was wondering if it has provided a plan of action for an update?, or has it turned into a garbled mess?

is there a colation of problems bing created?

i personally am over the moon with the beta release so far, i can see my sons eyes now lighting up on xmas morning!!

apu2009

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WizardDani said:
It isn't the only way out, I posted how I was able to downgrade 7 pages ago. (downgrade using waninkoko to 3.2, then install the wanin's ORIGINAL IOS36 wad).

Dani, how did you go about doing that? I did the steps you did in this post:

QUOTE said:
In reality it is not necessary, I'll explain what I did:
1) Downgraded my wii to 3.2E using waninkoko's downgrader v1.2
2) Installed the IOS36-64-v1042.wad (not the rev5 one) using wanin's Wad manager v12.2
3) Then I was able to install the cios installer for the new backup launcher, and uninstall/install DVDx, etc. ....
4) Optional: I updated my wii to 3.3E, but, didn't install the shop channel update.

In one of my previous posts, however, I wrote the following:

I just tried installing Waninkoko's Custom IOS36 rev 06 and I get a -2011 error.

And that's why I couldn't get it running... D'you have any idea why that error might have come up? (Remember that I started homebrew after updating to 3.3U, which means I had no cIOS installed). What I find weird is that I was actually able to run the Homebrew Channel installation even after I installed 3.3U (again, without having any cIOS installed).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock