Hacking backing up NAND for a transfer in preperation for a restore (wiiU related)

Mercenaryx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I plan to take the advice of another programmer on this site and back up the NANDs on my wii using bootmii (which i've already done) then using the transfer software that nintendo has so graciously provided for us to move all my legal stuff over to my wiiU then restore all my NAND using bootmii again on my original wii so that i can keep the good stuff on it (like wiiware) as well as have it on the wiiU.

i've now used bootmii to backup all my nand but im concerned weather or not ill be able to restore my stuff because whenever i go to bootmii it gives me the option to install it on ios... im not sure if i've ever actually installed bootmii or not but will this be a problem when i attempt to restore my nand? Or does the fact that i just backed up my nand already indicate that i've got it installed...

im just makin 1000% sure that im doing everything right. I don't want to lose certain games to my wiiu... i'd prefer to pick and choose which games go to the new system but unfortunately nintendo couldn't make it that easy for me.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Yes, if you backed it it up then you have BootMii installed and should have no problems. Even if you didn't, it's really easy to just install it again to be able to restore OR you could even use Casper to run BootMii without installing it so no worries. You'll be fine.

Mercenaryx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just did it all and attempted to recover my NANDS and all it says is try harder hashimoto-san ... i swear to god if after that week of preperation i'm not able to keep my games on my wii after the transfer im going to be so pissed.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Restoring via bootmii ios can be dangerous. You should only do it if you really really need to. Your best option would be to extract the titles you want to keep on your wii with showmiiwads. You will need to extract your nand.bin, then pack the titles you want to install as wads. Then install those wads back onto your wii.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I just did it all and attempted to recover my NANDS and all it says is try harder hashimoto-san ... i swear to god if after that week of preperation i'm not able to keep my games on my wii after the transfer im going to be so pissed.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/bricked-wii-cant-restore-nand.273208/
Enter the Konami Code to restore your backup.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konami_Code

Next time, google first.

This error appears because you're using BootMii IOS to restore, it's not recommended to do that because if anything goes wrong, you have no brick protection.

Mercenaryx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well all im doing is restoring what my NAND was like 20 minutes ago before the wiiU transfer. I don't really see the danger in doing that as long as im pretty straight forward. Can i get someones blessing before i do this now? I don't want to do something thats too dangerous but i've decked out my wii with Priiloader and all kinds of things to prevent brickage. My wii has been hacked for 6 years now i think and I never did something that I considered dangerous or risky with it. I only really use original apps and play some emulators (of games from generation 4 and earlier consoles)

an explanation of how a brick could happen would be nice...

scooby74029

wanttabe dev
Trophies
Website
www.wiithemer.org
XP
Country
United States
when restoring from bootmii IOS if the power fails then the wii is just a door stop. If restoring from bootmii/boot2 boot2 bootmii remains intact and therefore you can try again. i personally only have IOS bootmii and have restored a few times without indecent but it is just not recommended.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Yeah, lots of hacks have a warning that they might brick it if something goes wrong. Priiloader is one of them but just like this, basically the power has to go out while you're installing it for it to go wrong (same with an official Nintendo system menu update but they don't go warning you about anything) OR it has to be a NAND.bin that you messed with or built yourself (which it's not in this case) for it to be REALLY dangerous so I'd say it's small enough a risk to be able to take.

If you're REALLY worried about it you can always do as mentioned above and extract your nand.bin file with showmiiwads and IIRC it also has an option to pack those extracted titles into WAD files that you can then install separately back on your Wii.
You could also hack your vWii on your Wii U and use BlueDump to extract the transferred titles into WAD's and try installing them back to your old Wii individually.
here's a link to the bluedump for wiiu I found if you choose to go that route. http://downloads.nanolx.org/bluedump-alpha04.tar.bz2 and the IOS236 installer if that's needed http://www.mediafire.com/?4y7vebckurr2m9c

Edgard C.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I am new to this forums, please I need help with my Wii U.
It wasn't reading games out of my HDD so I was trying to fix it. I formatted my memory card to later realize I had the nand backup there!
I did a stupid system reset and now I have a bricked wii u and my nand backup it's gone too.
Is there any way you guys can provide me with a nand backup of yours to try and see if I can return this baby to life?
Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BigOnYa series S is the way to go, its a bargain for a capable system