Back to the wii scene

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by funnystory, Oct 20, 2010.

Oct 20, 2010

Back to the wii scene by funnystory at 5:17 PM (1,522 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. funnystory
    OP

Banned funnystory Banned

United States
    Hey guys i havent checked up on the whole wii scene in a while and my wii has been collecting dust for almost a year. currently my wii has 4.0 firmware,Bootmii,cioscorp, and usb loader,custom theme. What else is new?What am i missing to get the latest features of wii hacking and how would i go on in updating?

2. Category

Member Category Trainee Romhacker

United Kingdom
    Well, best thing to start is to remove cioscorp, then use ModMii to get back to a nice softmodded state.

cioscorp/darkcorp is EVIL.

3. funnystory
    OP

Banned funnystory Banned

United States
    haha why whats wrong with it i think its sweet

4. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    fyi, using modmii will overwrite cIOSCorp/DarkCorp anyways, so no need to uninstall it in advance (although it shouldn't hurt any if u do run the darkcorp uninstaller)

5. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    the only thing that's wrong with cIOSCORP/DARKCORP are the people who use it.

6. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    No idea why people seem to hate it. If you want to use it, then do so.
    I've used it myself in the past, never had any problems with it.

The only thing you might want to update are your IOSs (and perhaps install a System menu 4.1 Wad).
    Other than that, make sure your Homebrew is up to date and you're done.

7. versapak

Newcomer versapak Newbie

United States

Why is that?

I am new to Wii modding, and have recently installed DARKCORP.

What is wrong with it?

8. Presto99

Member Presto99 You slammin, bro?

United States
    well, it's pretty bad....

9. Nintendo_Chick

Member Nintendo_Chick GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It's not great, but I think the worst part of it is you don't know what your doing, and later you'll spend more time trying to figure out what you did. I would update to 4.1 and do some reading about cIOSes.

10. versapak

Newcomer versapak Newbie

United States

Pretty bad how though? That is a pretty vague statement that doesn't really say anything.

It works.

In what way is it bad?

Is there any other option to run backups from the main disc channel?

11. funnystory
    OP

Banned funnystory Banned

United States
    why should i update to 4.1 over 4.3?and i just want to be able to run new games.Also if my drive is formated to wbfs is there anyway to switch to fat32 without formatting the drive?

12. darkspirit456

Member darkspirit456 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    so don't update to 4.3 ^.^

13. funnystory
    OP

Banned funnystory Banned

United States
    wtf how can they remove bootmii? Nintendos got me fucked up [​IMG]

14. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Let's see if I can make things a bit more clear than those vague replies earlier...

Darkcorp (1.1 is the latest, AFAIK) is cioscorp, but a newer version. The thing isn't "bad", but it's the way that it does its thing that isn't very ethic. Basically, it is a whole bunch of IOS'es and cIOS'es, hacked and updated to a certain version ("the latest"...at the time of the release date of darkcorp). At that time, it is perfect. However, as newer versions of IOS'es or cIOSes come out, things can get a bit messy. They overwrite the older version, or they do NOT overwrite because those older versions have hacked numbers that make the wii think it IS the latest, and so on. And because those hacked versions aren't built for decent stability with the newest homebrew channel (1.0.8), it can be considered bad.

...unless you're not thinking of updating HBC, and you're perfectly fine on whatever version you have (1.0.5?).

The more important question is: why do you need it? It says in the description pretty clearly that it's purpose is to allow for backup disc loading from the main channel. If you're using an USB device, it helps nothing. And I mean that literally: it helps NOTHING. It doesn't speed up the drive, add compatibility or anything. All that stuff is taken care of by the cIOS'es you're using (latest version of hermes is 20, and Hermes is at 5.1, IIRC).

As for your other questions:
    -4.1 fixes one bug in wii sports resort. Hardly worth doing the update from 4.0, as not even everyone has it. But it is still better than updating to 4.2 or 4.3, as those literally have no purpose whatsoever aside making your wii hack-proof. And thus far, no game has a requirement of an update (though I'd say it's best to use priiloader to block games trying to lure you into updating whatever firmware is on the disc).
    -if a drive is formatted into wbfs, there is no way to switch to fat32 without reformatting (those similar names are no coincidence).
    -afaik, there is no way to load backups straight from the main disc channel (well...maybe sneek is able to do exactly that...I don't have firsthand knowledge about it, though). But with priiloader, you can set it so your wii boots straight into your USB loader. Honestly...I haven't seen my wii menu in months, no matter how often I play on it (well...aside from the couple times I want to change some settings).
    -I think you're confusing bootmii with boot2, which is part of the boot sequence of the wii. boot2 obviously can't be removed without bricking, but it can be updated. I don't know how that actually works...I've heard that if you were able to install bootmii as boot2 before, you can reinstall it in case it gets deleted. But don't quote me on that...I don't know for sure.

15. markehmus

Member markehmus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    speeking of bad
    "newest homebrew channel (1.0.8), " sends info out too when you instal it and go online , sending you system menu version and stuff to people who 'just wanna survey" ??

i prefer to use other methods besides the HBC , my info should stay my info, not shared with any1 for thier purposes.

like anything in this world , you may think is 'bad'(darkcorp) but to each thier own way.
    (my car is great... but not for a family of 10 with no abilitiy to speek english , and has no expirience with useing a screw driver to start ait.... so my car is only great by opinion... darkcorp is great by manies opinioons who just want to load from disk channel)

make you own decisions by reading up , and definately check out the moddmii thread... but htis is just my opinion ;-P""

16. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i've been using CC/DC in conjunction with the most recent of everything (HBC 1.0.8, WiiMC 1.1.0, IOS58 and all the no_reload stuff) and have never had a problem (save the flipping HBC before DC4.1 and the various installers which whine about non-vulnerable IOSes, which requires a fresh IOS58, then reCORPing, which is dumb)......i understand it's hated by the more elder-modders in the scene and that it's a pretty intense modification on the more vital components of the software, but until i experience any first-hand stability issues or erosion of my Wii experience, it stays....

17. funnystory
    OP

Banned funnystory Banned

United States
    bootmii is what team twiizers created a year ago so that you would never brick your wii and its supposedly not supposed to delete but idk