Hacking Back to the Wii after not using it for a year or so...

xboxinoz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok, please don't flame me and tell me I should read the forums better... I've tried but, having been out the scene for so long, it seems to me to be very confusing as to what I should do first so a little helpful guidance in the right direction is what I am after.

I have a PAL Wii on 3.2E with a Wiikey installed. I've added a few wads in the past using Wani's wad installer but these are very old now and probably long out of date. I don't have the homebrew channel or any other loader type channels installed...

Last game I probably truly played was Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart and the former I recall having to update the wiikey firmware.

That is about the last thing I've ever done to it.

I'm now aware that some of the current games need higher wii firmware/IOS stuff but don't want to blindly upgrade and lose the ability to use trucha signed discs of which I do have a couple.

Therefore, what steps should I be taking... I see there are now custom IOS files etc and all sorts of other clever looking stuff but, after reading a few guides (many of which seem directed at newbies who have no hacks whatsoever installed) I'm a bit lost at where to go from my particular position.

Any assistance would be appreciated as, with 3 small children and wife, I hope you understand I just don't have stacks of time to get deeply engrossed in reading 670 pages of the hacking forum and don't really know the best way to 'search' for where I need to go from here either.

Thanks in advance.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first thing you should do is install the Homebrew Channel. You should do that right away.

From there it just depends on where you want to go. I recommend installing the latest cIOS (which is a custom IOS for software-based loading of game backups) and try out the USB Loader, which allows you to dump your games to an external HDD and play them from there. The advantage to that is your games will load faster than they do even with a chip.

Once you've done that you can either stay on 3.2 and use a disc update blocker like Starfall or Preloader (if your chip doesn't already block updates), or look into Waninkoko's 4.0 updater and Preloader, which preserves the trucha bug.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...