AYANEO announces AMD 8840U upgrades for the AYANEO KUN, 2S and AIR 1S handheld gaming PCs

ayaneo upgrades.jpg

AYANEO has announced the launch of upgraded versions of some of its existing handheld gaming PCs. These include the AMD 8840U-equipped variants of the AYANEO KUN, AYANEO 2S and AYANEO AIR 1S. Starting early-bird pricing of the KUN is at $999, the 2S is at $799 and the AIR 1S is at $699. They are now available to pre-order on their respective Indiegogo campaigns, with an estimated shipping for August 2024. As usual, caution is advised with crowdfunding campaigns.

:arrow: SOURCE

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

AYANEO has announced the launch of upgraded versions of some of its existing handheld gaming PCs. These include the AMD 8840U-equipped variants of the AYANEO KUN, AYANEO 2S and AYANEO AIR 1S. Starting early-bird pricing of the KUN is at $999, the 2S is at $799 and the AIR 1S is at $699. They are now available to pre-order on their respective Indiegogo campaigns, with an estimated shipping for August 2024. As usual, caution is advised with crowdfunding campaigns.

:arrow: SOURCE
I swear AYANEO and Anbernic release more sameish hardware than Chinese ear bud companies.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see that happening any time soon.

The way to bring all that hardware down to a compact size and to fit into the desired casing is to design it all on a single board and solder (or have robots solder) it all together. Modular components would need plugs, sockets, interfaces, cabling, protocols etc. which would also make everything bulkier, and each individual component more expensive. And you would need manufacturers to agree on new standards and so on.

Framework Computer is making laptops where everything is swappable and replacable and modular, but so far they are the only ones making the components. I don't know if other manufacturers will join in, or launch their own alternatives or what.
I'd rather have lighter devices for external use than heavier devices with built in power making the weight of it outweigh it's points to be more portable and compact. A single wire isn't going to kill a person to walk around with. We are getting extremely close but too much of a closed enclosure won't be good for performance.

VR/AR in the next decade maybe as powerful as a 32gbddr5,12core, 4060 for example, but will keep the Goggle type of look. It's like wrapping a blanket around your head it needs room to breath. I do agree it's going to be a few years out before we see anything like that. In the mean time we should stick with external devices with more stable compute use. For pocketable external displays such as smartphones. It's a shame windows phone never took off imagine a 4090ti type of power in your phones pocket with the ability to run .exe. I know windows phones were just a Linux distro but by today's standards they probably could've figured something out for a portable style phone with the ability to run windows games. Plus if a component fails well you're out an entire computer VS something that could still work. Guess that's true for any sealed device but at least you aren't sinking thousands into the msrp it would probably cost.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'd rather have lighter devices for external use than heavier devices with built in power making the weight of it outweigh it's points to be more portable and compact. A single wire isn't going to kill a person to walk around with. We are getting extremely close but too much of a closed enclosure won't be good for performance.
Not sure how that ties into my post, I was talking about building your own handheld out of parts the way we assemble desktop PCs from components.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure how that ties into my post, I was talking about building your own handheld out of parts the way we assemble desktop PCs from components.
Because people that go out and build their own don't think about added weight and airflow that could boggle the system down. I'm not saying you won't think about it but the average Joe could. I'd rather stick with products I know will last, already small enough, and has enough power to run what I want. Personal opinion.

Maximo101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The KUN top model is around $1700 and is a generation beyond the Steam Deck now. I'm seriously looking at the base model, which is $1000. It is pretty big for as handheld, though...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O