AYANEO announces AMD 8840U upgrades for the AYANEO KUN, 2S and AIR 1S handheld gaming PCs

ayaneo upgrades.jpg

AYANEO has announced the launch of upgraded versions of some of its existing handheld gaming PCs. These include the AMD 8840U-equipped variants of the AYANEO KUN, AYANEO 2S and AYANEO AIR 1S. Starting early-bird pricing of the KUN is at $999, the 2S is at $799 and the AIR 1S is at $699. They are now available to pre-order on their respective Indiegogo campaigns, with an estimated shipping for August 2024. As usual, caution is advised with crowdfunding campaigns.

:arrow: SOURCE

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, yes. Flood the market with more identical or nearly identical devices. Not only AYANEO.
It is interesting to see the dichotomy between Anbernic and AYANEO's multiple devices. Anbernic throw the same hardware into 20 different shells, AYANEO throw 20 different CPUs into the same few shells lol

NotUsingAnAltAccount

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
It is interesting to see the dichotomy between Anbernic and AYANEO's multiple devices. Anbernic throw the same hardware into 20 different shells, AYANEO throw 20 different CPUs into the same few shells lol
This is exactly what I had in mind. Anbernic is ridiculous, this should be forbidden. Not even plain Chinese manufacturers spit out so many devices, whether they're some low tier ones or not.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is exactly what I had in mind. Anbernic is ridiculous, this should be forbidden. Not even plain Chinese manufacturers spit out so many devices, whether they're some low tier ones or not.
I mentioned it in the Anbernic thread but I do think they could get away with it if they did one big yearly release where they just say "here's the chip we're using, here's all the shells you can get it in". That way people have a good range of choice, they only buy the one they actually want, and there's (ideally) less waste. I doubt that'll ever actually happen though, since they'd almost certainly make less money where people double dip for designs they didn't think were in the pipeline.

Reactions: Azael_inf and Xzi

NotUsingAnAltAccount

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I mentioned it in the Anbernic thread but I do think they could get away with it if they did one big yearly release where they just say "here's the chip we're using, here's all the shells you can get it in". That way people have a good range of choice, they only buy the one they actually want, and there's (ideally) less waste. I doubt that'll ever actually happen though, since they'd almost certainly make less money where people double dip for designs they didn't think were in the pipeline.
Well, you know. Looking at all the YouTube videos where people have ten or more identical hardwares in different shells. I'm always wondering, why the f would you need so many devices? They probably don't even play on any of them and just use Steam Deck, ROG Ally or Odin 2. Hoarders, nothing more. It's also people as clients who are to blame.
Yes, they won't change it. People are too stupid and buying most of them, because they're cheap. This one has a little bigger screen, battery or whatever else. Companies know that, so that's why there should be financial penalties to cut wasting resources and stop making more e-waste.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to wonder how well these are selling where they can just keep pumping a new model out every month when someone can just buy a steamdeck for less than half the price (or rog ally, lenovo, ect)

Reactions: The Catboy

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is hard to keep up when one company does multiple versions and upgrades for those versions, let alone when multiple companies do it.

It still confuses me that people want a Steam Deck 2 already.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I see peoples talking about AYANEO's rereleases, and it makes me wonder...

Do you think it will soon be possible to build a Portable gaming PC just like we can build a Desktop Gaming PC?
Because right now, we have some standards for Desktop PCs (ATX, mini-ATX, micro-ATX for the cases, motherboards that fit said cases, PCI-E ports for GPU and other addons, DDR ports for the RAM, etc..), but do you think we will see those kind of standards for portable PCs?
I know that right now, we could build a portable PC on our own, but we would need much more knowledges as an individual to make all components fit in such a small package, right?

Well, I hope we find out someday
EDIT : Quick question, around which year was it common for gamers to build their own PCs?

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to wonder how well these are selling where they can just keep pumping a new model out every month when someone can just buy a steamdeck for less than half the price (or rog ally, lenovo, ect)
cheaper? yes
severely outdated by now and needs a new model that's more powerful? definitly yes

(the oled doesn't count as a new model it's a redesign with an oled screen and a 1tb option to buy)

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
How are they not getting bankrupt?

They sell great products and use crowdfunding to "backfund" their devices.
The Deck is still easily the winner in the cost/benefit ratio, but it was lacking in power even at its launch.
It's outdated now.

Well, I hope we find out someday
EDIT : Quick question, around which year was it common for gamers to build their own PCs?

It'd certainly be a thing (assembling portable PCs) I'd get into (right now even, if I could speak Chinese and lived in Shenzhen), but I don't see it getting a standard any time soon.

That said, gamers built their own PCs since forever. At least everyone I know that was serious about PC gaming.
Even me when I was 12yo back in '97 already did it with the help of my father.
To me that was post the Intel pentium II era IIRC, right after the death of the 486s.

My first PC (as in it was only used by me, not the family) was a 500MHz AMD K6-2 with a GeForce GPU around mid '99.
Having that run SNES emulation at 100% speed was all I needed back then.

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
People are too stupid and buying most of them, because they're cheap.
??????? wdym cheap? most of these things are more expensive than the steam deck 1tb option, and you know there aren't enough that are cheaper than the deck for people to be hording like 20 of them... I don't even think there's 20 models from all the portable PC brands that are less than $800

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Do you think it will soon be possible to build a Portable gaming PC just like we can build a Desktop Gaming PC?
Because right now, we have some standards for Desktop PCs (ATX, mini-ATX, micro-ATX for the cases, motherboards that fit said cases, PCI-E ports for GPU and other addons, DDR ports for the RAM, etc..), but do you think we will see those kind of standards for portable PCs?
I know that right now, we could build a portable PC on our own, but we would need much more knowledges as an individual to make all components fit in such a small package, right?
I don't see that happening any time soon.

The way to bring all that hardware down to a compact size and to fit into the desired casing is to design it all on a single board and solder (or have robots solder) it all together. Modular components would need plugs, sockets, interfaces, cabling, protocols etc. which would also make everything bulkier, and each individual component more expensive. And you would need manufacturers to agree on new standards and so on.

Framework Computer is making laptops where everything is swappable and replacable and modular, but so far they are the only ones making the components. I don't know if other manufacturers will join in, or launch their own alternatives or what.

NotUsingAnAltAccount

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
??????? wdym cheap? most of these things are more expensive than the steam deck 1tb option, and you know there aren't enough that are cheaper than the deck for people to be hording like 20 of them... I don't even think there's 20 models from all the portable PC brands that are less than $800
I meant Anbernic devices.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Hopefully your not like south of Tampa they got flooding