Avatool - Homebrew Tool to Change Avatars

This is a quick tool I threw together in my free time the last two days to make changing avatars to custom ones easier for myself. It works by terminating the account service on your Switch which will lead to a crash. While I have had 0 problems testing it, it does write to system save data, which some might consider risky. Also, guaranteed ban online. You've been warned.

Avatars are 256x256 JPG files. Place them in the folder sdmc:/avatar/. Avatool will only see files with the extension '.jpg'
Once on the main selection screen:
  • L and R change the targeted avatar image
  • Up and Down control the file menu
  • A will overwrite the target with the selected source image
If the write was successful, you will see the target image change. Reboot and it should show on the home menu and profile screens.

Keep in mind this isn't supposed to be anything fancy.

avatool.jpg

https://github.com/J-D-K/Avatool/releases

Last edited by JK_,

JK_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Attached is a hacky build for Avatool for FW 16.0.0 for testing.

Simply unzip the file below and place the .nro file in your /switch directory to try it out. :-)

Sadly, I’m told, this does not work. We will have to wait.
I wasn't aware people still used Avatool to be honest. You can actually pull it off using JKSV too, but it's a bit more complicated. I'm assuming it shouldn't take much to take JKSV's gfx.cpp file and get Avatool functioning again. Perhaps a weekend project?

Avatool was just a quick project to simplify the whole process. Same thing with biggestDump. They're just JKSV under the hood but targeting specific uses to simplify them. I had others too but they're long gone. RIP old laptop.

• Wow
Reactions: binkinator

JK_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, looking at it now, it's going to take a lot more work than I thought. Changing PlServiceType does get it up and running again, but I'm not really happy with the rest. I've also found an odd bug I don't remember. I'm thinking since it's such a small quick project, I might just rewrite and rework it some time.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, looking at it now, it's going to take a lot more work than I thought. Changing PlServiceType does get it up and running again, but I'm not really happy with the rest. I've also found an odd bug I don't remember. I'm thinking since it's such a small quick project, I might just rewrite and rework it some time.

Awesome! Appreciate your time looking into this. Obviously not mission critical but sure is a nice to have.
I have a freshly upgraded V2 and happy to Guinea pig for you if needed.

nianruoanzhi

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Hey I used this version on my file based atmosphere emunad, with 16.0.0 firmware and it works, (it does crash the console while doing it but my profile image was still changed, after restarting the console) I don't remember where I got it, because i did a full format of my old sxos emunand, and I downloaded so many things to bring back my console to live again, so I didn't keep track, but here it is, oh and i used this guide to make a working jpg file:
Thank you, I've been searching for a long time。

Reactions: tomx86

Mudkipzzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Hey I used this version on my file based atmosphere emunad, with 16.0.0 firmware and it works, (it does crash the console while doing it but my profile image was still changed, after restarting the console) I don't remember where I got it, because i did a full format of my old sxos emunand, and I downloaded so many things to bring back my console to live again, so I didn't keep track, but here it is, oh and i used this guide to make a working jpg file:
Mine just crashed, didn't work :/

Rodel

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
It works on 16.0.3 and 16.1.0 thanks
2023090119314200-CF99E5A89997DEB91E571D16DB468578.jpg

Last edited by Rodel,
Reactions: tomx86

JK_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Surprise everyone. I finally had some time to get everything up and running again. Avatool has mostly been rewritten. I will be checking out a small bug or two I stumbled upon in the next few days, but it is usable again. I'd love to update the menu code, as that is what causes them, but I don't really want to do that until I'm finished with JKSV (hopefully in the next couple of weeks).

Avatool 2.0.0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.