Hacking Australian Serial Number <4.5 ?

AceRTB

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys I posted this in the ongoing "where to get 3ds with 4.5 fw thread" but thought I would create a new thread as well beause I need this info asap as I need to know whether to take the plunge on a console on ebay.(so sorry if this additional thread isn't deemed necessary).

Anyway, I know there are guides out there on US and EU serial numbers to check against but I can not find anything on Australian Serials (starting with SAF). So any aussies out there with a bit of knowledge in the area would be greatly appreciated. I have a console lined up with 2012 copyright (which I know is a good sign but not bulletproof) so I asked for the serial number off the box and it is SAF1020xxxx x .. System is Blue/black and BNIB and sealed, so can anyone tell me if this will definitely be below the 4.5 FW ?
Cheers Guys

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
probably, but idk tbh, i think it was like xxx12000 for ther regions that started being past 4.5 so that seems low in comparison, but again idk when it comes to Australian consoles

AceRTB

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
well that was my thinking as well , with a 2012 copyright and what seems to be a relatively low serial I am tempted to just buy it, however will wait it out a bit to see if anyone else has some knowledge of aus serials

AceRTB

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That is what I am hoping , The guy selling it seemed to think it would be around 4.3 but obviously wouldn't guarantee anything. Thanks for the comparison that is helping me think that it will be fine. Will wait out tonight and tomorrow morning to see if anyone with an aussie console can give me some more info , if not then I will just bite the bullet and hope for the best !

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are the return policies in Australia not as lax as in the states? Here, we would be able to purchase the console and return it within a specified amount of time without much hassle. Is that not an option for you?

AceRTB

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That is an option, however as it is off ebay I'd rather avoid the hassle and time it would take to get it sent to me , get the wrong firmware and send it back. Waiting a day to find out for sure might save me a lot of time.

AceRTB

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If I hear from one or two more aussie consoles with similar serials I think I will pull the trigger tonight... Will still be nervous though !

yabbitboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought my blue/black 3ds XL from Big W around August 2013, came with the 4.4 firmware.... my SAF was at "SAF10144****"

netnerd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Are we talking XLs or regular 3DSes??? Probably XLs, because originals have different serials, don't they (because mine's a CAH), but you didn't say (or if you did I missed it because it's 3am)?
If we're talking XL units, ignore this, if not, I can guarantee that a CAH1013 is below 4.4 stock (I think around 4.1 or 4.2, but I might be wrong).

AceRTB

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yer sorry didn't mention it , bought an XL .. BNIB got a good deal because the box is slightly damaged and soiled so have pulled the trigger on it. with easter long weekend and all, I'm hoping it arrives before ANZAC day next week. will provide an update of how it goes, hopefully it's a happy update haha

Dinomite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fingers crossed for you man.
I've bought 2 3DS' and knew the firmware before I bought them. Both are regular 3DS', I don't like the XL's.
The first I got pre-owned from EB Games and asked in the store if I could check the firmware/menu before I bought it, the guy in the store had no problems with me doing this. It was running 4.2 I believe.
The second I got off Ebay and asked the seller if he could tell me which firmware it was running. He had no idea and so I explained the steps to check and he came back and told me it was running 2.1.
For future reference anyone, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Reactions: IronClouds

filthy_freak_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There is no difference between AU and EU 3ds. Infact, there is no such thing as an AU 3ds. Every 3ds sold in AU is a EU 3ds.

Just look up serials on EU consoles and go from there.

I could be wrong though as I haven't properly researched.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well not that im sure on how the serials are worked out but
SAFxxxx -> australian
SUFxxx -> uk?

so even though hardware/software wise they are the same the serial numbers seem to be different

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no difference between AU and EU 3ds. Infact, there is no such thing as an AU 3ds. Every 3ds sold in AU is a EU 3ds.

Just look up serials on EU consoles and go from there.

I could be wrong though as I haven't properly researched.

Lol your post contradicts itself :P

"Hey guys, this is how it is

....but I could be wrong 'cause I haven't looked into it."

At least you're honest about it, though.

AceRTB

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I had a few used ones that I was looking at on ebay and at cash converters, folks there were more than happy to check firmware for me, so suggestion to any one looking for used just get them to check it (and explain how to do that if need be). A brand new console appealed to me more though and obviously they can't open it up to check. I know that Aus consoles are obviously PAL too so that Aus and EU are the same however I must admit the serial numbers (and the EU chart) confused me a bit. But as the faq states:
"any <= SEx1153xxxx x or SUx1035xxxx x Nintendo Serial Number should come with <= 4.5.0."

So if they are the same serials with only difference being the SAF at the front then I should be in the clear with a "1020" . Fingers Crossed !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!