Atmosphère version 0.8.4 has been released

37918415.png

Happy June 15! @SciresM has released a new update for his Atmosphère Switch CFW, which is now able to boot on firmware 7.0.1 and 7.0.0 without the need for end-users to provide any keys.

For those out of the loop, initial 7.0.0 support was already added some time ago (31st of January) but it did not include a key derivation algorithm for said firmware, relying on a bring-your-own-keys (BYOK) approach instead. Said keys were private and only a few individuals had access to them, meaning the average user was not able to make use of this feature. Some time later a minor firmware revision was released, 7.0.1. The update contained very few changes and the TSEC was left untouched, meaning whatever key derivation algorithm was being made for the previous firmware would work painlessly on the newest one aswell.

Now, said algorithm is finally complete and has been included in the aforementioned release. The new approach relies on a payload called "sept" (which is french for "seven") which gets automatically executed by fusee-primary if the CFW detects it needs to get the 7.0.X keys from the TSEC. It only adds around a second to the total boot time without the need of any user interaction. It comes pre-signed on release builds, thus making it a full non-BYOK solution for regular users, however if you're a developer or power user who likes to compile unofficial builds directly from the source you will still need the appropriate keys to sign it.

The new release also comes with other improvements and changes, some of which were already pushed to the repository sometime ago (for example, the improved reboot to payload function). The full changelog is as follows:
0.8.4 is Atmosphère's tenth official release.

fusee-primary was last updated in: 0.8.4.

The following was changed since the last release:

• Support for 7.0.0/7.0.1 was added.
    • This is facilitated through a new payload, sept, which can be signed, encrypted, and then loaded by Nintendo's TSEC firmware.
    • sept will derive the keys needed to boot new firmware, and then load sept/payload.bin off the SD card and jump to it.
  • Recognition of applications for override/mitm has been improved.
    • Nintendo's official Title ID range (0x0100000000000000-0x01FFFFFFFFFFFFFF) is now enforced.
  • A deadlock condition was fixed involving libstratosphere mitm sysmodules.
  • Kernel patches for JIT support were added (Thanks, @m4xw!).
    • These loosen restrictions on caller process in svcControlCodeMemory.
  • set.mitm and fs.mitm were merged into a single ams_mitm sysmodule.
    • This saves a process ID, allowing users to run one additional process up to the 0x40 process limit.
  • A bpc.mitm component was added, performing custom behavior on shutdown/reboot requests from am or applications.
    • Performing a reboot from the reboot menu now reboots to atmosphere. This can be configured via system_settings.ini.
    • Performing a shutdown from the reboot menu now works properly with AutoRCM, and does a real shutdown.
  • General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.

This version can be downloaded from Atmosphère's releases page on its GitHub repository (link in the sources below).

:arrow: Source
:arrow: GBAtemp thread

Last edited by RattletraPM,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Its not dependant on the gamecard. As soon as any firmware higher than 3.0.something boots on your switch, without the nogc patches applied, it updates your gamecardslot. The gamecardslot then becomes unusable on 3.0.something or lower firmwares.

(Posting this, because you could be updating using downloaded firmware.)

If you are on firmware 3.0.2 and are only using your gamecards, then this is a weird bug you've found.

Last edited by notimp,

axiomjunglist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So all this time I've been playing online at CFW ?!

Not sure about SX, but in Atmosphere I could definitely use OFW through hekate 4.6. This was under firmware 6.2.0 using autoRCM. It's autoRCM to my knowledge that prevents fuses from burning on boot no matter what you are launching to.

I say OFW because under the system menu there was no reference to atmosphere version, just the firmware. It also wouldn't launch hbl.

I could reboot & launch Atmosphere in hekate, and then be able to use hbl and see the atmosphere version number in system menu.

That all seems to have disappeared (stock & atmosphere both launch Atmosphere in hekate now) after updating to 7.0.1. so maybe I was wrong the entire time? Maybe it was always CFW? Someone out there who can enlighten?

Update: It seems "stock" is no longer possible :/ at least, this is how I'm reading this.
https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/issues/189#issuecomment-466826549

Update 2: Booting to "stock" in hekate v4.8 seems to be working again. System Menu -> System -> Current Version now displays 7.0.1 without any reference to Atmosphere. Homebrew launcher is also disabled. Booting back to Atmosphere shows 0.8.4 version number next to 7.0.1 and homebrew launcher is working again.

For those updating — I recommend a clean copy of SDSetup.com files (which is what fixed it) if you're going from 6.2.0 to 7.x.x.

Last edited by axiomjunglist,
Reactions: bundat and OvOvOv

OvOvOv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Not sure about SX, but in Atmosphere I could definitely use OFW through hekate 4.6. This was under firmware 6.2.0 using autoRCM. It's autoRCM to my knowledge that prevents fuses from burning on boot no matter what you are launching to.

I say OFW because under the system menu there was no reference to atmosphere version, just the firmware. It also wouldn't launch hbl.

I could reboot & launch Atmosphere in hekate, and then be able to use hbl and see the atmosphere version number in system menu.

That all seems to have disappeared (stock & atmosphere both launch Atmosphere in hekate now) after updating to 7.0.1. so maybe I was wrong the entire time? Maybe it was always CFW? Someone out there who can enlighten?

Update: It seems "stock" is no longer possible :/ at least, this is how I'm reading this.

https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/issues/189#issuecomment-466826549

Tha's mean that would be not posible to play online without burning efuses anymore?

Jonesy123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm looking at the BCI.ini and it says

BCT0
[stage1]
stage2_path = atmosphere/fusee-secondary.bin
stage2_addr = 0xF0000000
stage2_entrypoint = 0xF0000000

[exosphere]
; Note: Disabling debugmode will cause parts of ams.tma to not work, in the future.
debugmode = 1
debugmode_user = 0

[stratosphere]
; To force-enable nogc, add nogc = 1
; To force-disable nogc, add nogc = 0

total noob question, but what do I change to make it nogc = 0

proffk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
keep thinking about converting to atmosphere as its always first to apply fixes but don't like to boot though hekate. I'll wait for sx os or reinx to be updated.

axiomjunglist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tha's mean that would be not posible to play online without burning efuses anymore?

I have no idea about SX but you can definitely go online within Atmosphere. If you have custom NSP's installed you'll probably run into the Nintendo ban hammer pretty fast. If you're using legit store bought (eShop or physical cart) games or just loading the homebrew menu using a pre-existing title to launch and keeping all your activities there using NRO's you'll probably be fine. At least so far so good for me.... No fuses blown yet.

I also have no idea about online play but I would assume the above applies to online play. Somebody else may want to chime in with their experience.

Last edited by axiomjunglist,
Reactions: OvOvOv

bomigoton

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wow, this makes me very excited for tomorrow's SX update!

Assuming TX doesn't have their own trick of having TSEC decrypt the firmware or keys to hardcode into their CFW, they would have to incorporate sept which has an Atmosphere splash screen embedded.

So this is day5 after atmospheres fix for 7.0.x
TX still struggling with Sept. Interesting to watch.

Reactions: Draxzelex

hOLYTHUNTER0X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there a guide to updating atmosphere .8.3 on 6.2 to .8.4 without upgrading fw i tried 3 times and don't make it past Nintendo logo any help would be nice thanks

bomigoton

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still need to update my atmosphere to this version but I just want to ask because I haven’t used autorcm since testing once so long ago with brikmiiv2, can someone confirm that is up to date and tested this, that there is no battery issue with atmosphere on autorcm. If there’s no battery issue I may think about going back to autorcm even though I only touch my switch like once a week.

Edit
Just updated but I’m still not sure if I’m going to use that autorcm feature. May not even matter if I use autorcm since I barely power off my switch.

Last edited by fst312,
D

Deleted User

TX can decrypt any TSEC blob from Nintendo, and can calculate any TSEC root key. They're just waiting to piss off all you lot lol

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still need to update my atmosphere to this version but I just want to ask because I haven’t used autorcm since testing once so long ago with brikmiiv2, can someone confirm that is up to date and tested this, that there is no battery issue with atmosphere on autorcm. If there’s no battery issue I may think about going back to autorcm even though I only touch my switch like once a week.

Edit
Just updated but I’m still not sure if I’m going to use that autorcm feature. May not even matter if I use autorcm since I barely power off my switch.
Autorcm is important if you wanna save fuses

I have been using it with no issue

Reactions: fst312

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Autorcm is important if you wanna save fuses

I have been using it with no issue
Thought about it and the next time I reboot my switch I’ll make sure I have autorcm enabled, I’m just hoping the switch really does close when I turn it off using atmosphere.

Akira

I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thought about it and the next time I reboot my switch I’ll make sure I have autorcm enabled, I’m just hoping the switch really does close when I turn it off using atmosphere.
It does if you are using the latest one. Just dont connect any cables once it’s turned off or else it will turn on RCM. So, if you want to charge it after turning it off, plug the charger/cable first before proceeding on turning off the switch.

Reactions: fst312

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to the latest update of atmosphere I switched back to autorcm and turned off my switch and seen it really didn’t go back to rcm. Had TegraRCMGui gui connected to test that for myself, so I didn’t have to overthink about it. Thank you for the replies @x65943 and @Akira .I finally don’t mind using autorcm.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show