Atlus bought by SEGA

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This doesn't seem like such a bad thing. SEGA puts out some great games, and I am sure they will take full advantage of this.

Sega also hates tasking risks on localizations.
Best example being Valkyria Chronicles 3. A guaranteed success at the time. All because VC2 (a much lesser title in all aspects) didn't do so well.
They fail at business.

Considering how niche most Atlus titles are, we probably wont see anything outside of the big, main titles like Persona or established series.

mario5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who knows what this means for Atlus games in the west. Perhaps we won't see them anymore. Perhaps Fire Emblem X SMT will be canned?

Unlikely as it was probably an already done contract with Nintendo, so I don't see Sega renigging on that. Also Sega and Nintendo have a pretty good relationship, so I don't see that changing any plans laid out right now either.

I just hope Sega uses their new IP well, and doesn't put all of the Atlus brand on handheld only. If this was DC-era Sega I'd be yelling from the mountain tops, but this is the Sega of today that doesn't take as many chances and throw the money around as much as they used too.

And to the doom and gloomers decrying Sega as Atlus' new overlord, and killing off Etrian Odyssey and other smaller titles, I'm sure Sega looked at all of the books before plunking down that kind of cash just for the good feeling they'd get from rescuing one of Japan's finest RPG producers. Ya know seriously....I think they would have thought things out first. I hope anyway.

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best example being Valkyria Chronicles 3. A guaranteed success at the time. All because VC2 (a much lesser title in all aspects) didn't do so well.
They fail at business.

The example you are using here is really flawed. VC2 didn't do so well, as you said, so that in itself is a good reason for SEGA to have been cautious about VC3 being localized. VC3 was released in Japan in 2011, and the Vita came out in the US almost 12 months later. By time localization would've been complete, the PSP would've been very close to being a completely dead system (although it was pretty much dead by in the West by 2012 anyway), and the game could've been entirely overshadowed by the new and shiny Vita that was around the corner, which didn't even play PSP games outside of PSN purchases. There are probably more PSP users who don't purchase their games off-of the PSN than people who would've bought VC3 if it got localized.

Alot of people who play games seem to be under the assumption that because a small handful of people say they would buy a copy of a game, that it'd make it a worthwhile investment. Not taking a gamble that isn't guaranteed =/= failing at business. It's actually a pretty good move from a business POV.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
They fail at business.

Considering how niche most Atlus titles are, we probably wont see anything outside of the big, main titles like Persona or established series.
That might be true, but it's not like that's not common these days. Far too many games from various publishers never see the light of day outside Japan...
I guess this won't make things better in that aspect, but they can't get a whole lot worse either.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Many of you chaps seem to be forgetting about Atlus USA (or Index Digital Media Inc, if you want to get technical), the company responsible for publishing Atlus games in the US. Unless Sega plan on absorbing this subsidiary into the parent company, then there's a good chance very little will change for you guys regarding localisation.

Near as I can tell, the first link doesn't deny the sale, it just says there's nothing to announce right now.
The title is very misleading. Sega Sammy Holdings, bought them, not publisher Sega. It even says so in your quote.
Actually, the transferee is named as 'Sega Dream Corporation', which is a subsidiary of Sega, a subsidiary of Sega Sammy Holdings Inc.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
141 million dollars? And since Sega bought Atlus for that much money, then they should definitely get back into making video games and even a new console...

Did they stop making games? Also 141 million, with who knows much loans and other things used to get there at this point, is probably enough for a marketing campaign in one of the smaller big markets, not even remotely close to developing a fully fledged console in the 2010's.

Either way though Atlus going to a platform agnostic company works for me. If they are being tapped to improve the mobile phone and tablet world then even better.

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
btw what's the latest sega games? is it selling well?

Total War: Rome II, seems like a well-selling game to me.
Add all the good Sonic games coming out recently, the Dreamcast remakes that come out on every platform possible and the Vocaloid games, which sell like hotcakes in Japan as far as I'm aware, and I can see where thay have all that money from.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I hope Nintendo buys Capcom.
Given Sega now seemingly have announced it such a thing seems unlikely for the time being. Also why would Nintendo be a good fit for Atlus? Most of Atlus' fare is somewhat apart from what Nintendo usually deals in and such a move would almost certainly also see it restricted to Nintendo consoles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4