Atlus bought by SEGA

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by ShadowSoldier, Sep 18, 2013.

1. ShadowSoldier
    OP

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    To nobody's surprise (though I know some of us wish it was someone else, perhaps even Nintendo), Sega bought Atlus for 14 billion yen, too lazy to convert that, and the acquisition will take place in November.

Source

Who knows what this means for Atlus games in the west. Perhaps we won't see them anymore. Perhaps Fire Emblem X SMT will be canned?

Friendsxix likes this.

2. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    As long as they let Atlus be Atlus, then it shouldn't be too bad. :/

BAHIM Z 360 and Satangel like this.
  3. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    GameWinner quoted a post in the SB about them having interest in using ATLUS things for smartphone apps/games...

no no nO

If they leave them alone and just throw money at Atlus for future projects then hey this can be good. We just don't know much about it yet until something happens...

4. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    The title is very misleading. Sega Sammy Holdings, bought them, not publisher Sega. It even says so in your quote.

Sega Sammy Holdings is a holdings company just like Index. If you had no problem how Index ran things (besides going bankrupt) you shouldn't have a problem with Sega Sammy.

5. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

Geez, as if Atlus didn't have enough on their shoulders already...

BortzANATOR likes this.
  6. Aqua1234

Aqua1234 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    Canada
    Eh, when you're not under someone it's more easy to be yourself. Because of the new transaction they'll change for sure and have to adapt to the way of SEGA. I'm sure the effects won't be noticed by us.

7. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    You're to lazy to convert it? Am I the only person who noticed that 14 billion yen converts to roughly 141 million dollars? And since Sega bought Atlus for that much money, then they should definitely get back into making video games and even a new console... Oh my god, epic... hardcore Sega... the Sega Epic Box (or something similar) While I'm on the topic of Sega, I really love the Iron Man game they made for the Wii; it's great. Don't like the second one as much though...

8. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Great we probably wont see even half of their games now.
    Sega is about as incompetent at localizing good games as Bamco.

RIP Atlus

9. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Dreamcast 2.0. The original was freaking awesome.

calmwaters likes this.
  10. CompassNorth

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Too bad Sega does not own Atlus so you guys are wrong.

11. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Then I guess the title needs to be changed because buying something implies ownership.

12. CompassNorth

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Sega =/= Sega Sammy.

13. DJ91990

DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

Feb 9, 2009
    United States
    Oakwood Region
    So does this mean 7th Dragon, 7th Dragon 2020, 7th Dragon 2020 II and 7th Dragon II/7th Dragon 2020 III will be coming over to the states? I sure hope this acquisition does not affect Atlus much at all. I loved Atlus, but I'm starting to greatly dislike SEGA West, and even though SEGA East was the corporation that acquired Index, they are guilty by association.

Hey, maybe the first project Sega-Index will be FIRGGEN RELEASING PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2 EPISODES 1 AND 2!

Also a fair warning to SEGA EAST: If you DARE to cancel the (Sekaiju no Meikyuu) Etrian Odyssey Series, You'll make my little black book(Deathnote). Don't do it! (Actually, I'll just think angry thoughts and refrain from buying another game from you, new that is.)

14. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Well we all know what this means, games being Japan only from now on. Also, Sega may subject Atlus to making icky mobile games with iron curtains for region locks. Sega doesn't like games that are too niche or look too niche to be localized most of the time.

15. DJ91990

DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

Feb 9, 2009
    United States
    Oakwood Region
    Hop2089 I sure hope that you're wrong. I loved what Atlus did, and if what you assume becomes fact, then SEGA would have just automatically made it's name in my DEATH NOTE. (I'M ONLY KIDDING ABOUT THE DEATH NOTE STUFFS! ELL OH ELL!) Guess that means Etrian Odyssey: The Melinium Girl will be the last Etrian Odyssey game.
    :gun:SEGA

16. Bryon15

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    Meh. I was hoping nintendo would get them. I wonder why they didn't go for atlus. Knowing that they lack third party support, and have admitted that they are understaffed. It would have been the prefect opportunity to increase resources. Seems dumb to me.

17. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    I'm calling it now. Main character's Persona in Persona 5: Sonic the Hedgehog. But seriously, I sure hope everything works out well for Atlus. The Megami Tensei games always end up being the favorites of each console for me.

18. Mirby

Mirby BDFF Hype~ :3

Feb 9, 2011
    United States
    That One Place
  19. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    This doesn't seem like such a bad thing. SEGA puts out some great games, and I am sure they will take full advantage of this.

20. Mirby

Mirby BDFF Hype~ :3

Feb 9, 2011
    United States
    That One Place