Homebrew ARM9Loader -- Technical Details and Discussion

Nintendo4DSXL

Pokémon-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I done a lot more reading of this topic which I should probably have done before going head first off a cliff to get my OTP!

Basically I now understand I'm just going to have to be patient and wait for a payload that can boot directly into sysnand.

But hey thanks to the guys in the beginning who got all of this working.
Hello i have emunand and now i have recopy all the rei files and now it works i can boot directly into emunand now i have to wait for SysNAND payload

Audioboxer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello i have emunand and now i have recopy all the rei files and now it works i can boot directly into emunand now i have to wait for SysNAND payload

Yeah If you had emunand from the start it would work. Issue is I have no emunand! But I'm glad to hear your 3DS is back up and running.

We were brick buddies for a while lol.

Nintendo4DSXL

Pokémon-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Audioboxer

Trophies
XP
Country
You still need the rei folder on sd root with firmware.bin in it of course. :)

Yeah I used rei-N3DS from Aurora (renamed to rei of course), and firmware.bin from latest official Rei build. Think it might be the firmware.bin that is wrong. Don't I need a specific one for FW 9.2? Can't remember 100% as I've been using emunand 10.x for ages.

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I used rei-N3DS from Aurora (renamed to rei of course), and firmware.bin from latest official Rei build. Think it might be the firmware.bin that is wrong. Don't I need a specific one for FW 9.2? Can't remember 100% as I've been using emunand 10.x for ages.
Not sure. i just used the firmware.bin from the aurora build.

Reactions: Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Trophies
XP
Country
Slight technical question, and a noob one, I'm pretty sure I know the answer though. Nintendo can't force this hack out of our sysnand can they? With something like a FW update? I know a sysnand restore can remove the loader, but Nintendos FW update process cannot? Seeing as Shadow is on 10.5 on sysnand it seems I do already have this answer.

Reactions: TaintedByte

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Slight technical question, and a noob one, I'm pretty sure I know the answer though. Nintendo can't force this hack out of our sysnand can they? With something like a FW update? I know a sysnand restore can remove the loader, but Nintendos FW update process cannot? Seeing as Shadow is on 10.5 on sysnand it seems I do already have this answer.

If you stick with an emuNAND solution, then probably not. However, if you opt to go the sysNAND CFW route (like most probably will), I guess they could maybe try to look for it and remove it, but would it really be worth their time? I doubt CFW users are so numerous that we really pose a huge problem compared to the amount of PSP CFW users there were.

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
Updating via system settings WILL atm brick your system.
How I did it was... update with 10.5 cia's MINUS the native firm one...with sysupdater cia.
then eshop was bitching at me about updating so i THEN installed the native firm cia with devmenu.
fully functioning sysnand 10.5 with a9lh n3ds is the result.

Audioboxer

Trophies
XP
Country
If you stick with an emuNAND solution, then probably not. However, if you opt to go the sysNAND CFW route (like most probably will), I guess they could maybe try to look for it and remove it, but would it really be worth their time? I doubt CFW users are so numerous that we really pose a huge problem compared to the amount of PSP CFW users there were.

True. I mean just wondering hypotheticals, as running a FW update is at your own peril anyway. I guess even if they do, a sysupdater style CIA update will probably be made to get onto later FWs.

Updating via system settings WILL atm brick your system.
How I did it was... update with 10.5 cia's MINUS the native firm one...with sysupdater cia.
then eshop was bitching at me about updating so i THEN installed the native firm cia with devmenu.
fully functioning sysnand 10.5 with a9lh n3ds is the result.

Interesting to know how you done it, but without a hardmod no thanks :P At least not for now till things mature with arm9.

Out of interest can you restore a sysnand backup to go back down to 9.2, or do you need to use your hard mod to do so? I'd assume sysnand backup is okay.

Last edited by Audioboxer,

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
True. I mean just wondering hypotheticals, as running a FW update is at your own peril anyway. I guess even if they do, a sysupdater style CIA update will probably be made to get onto later FWs.

Interesting to know how you done it, but without a hardmod no thanks :P At least not for now till things mature with arm9.

Out of interest can you restore a sysnand backup to go back down to 9.2, or do you need to use your hard mod to do so? I'd assume sysnand backup is okay.

It should be okay to use Aurora's mod to boot decrypt9 and do it that way with no hardmod, but I can't promise success (never tried it..).

Audioboxer

Trophies
XP
Country
It should be okay to use Aurora's mod to boot decrypt9 and do it that way with no hardmod, but I can't promise success (never tried it..).

Yeah I don't see why not considering the arm9loader is allowing us to execute everything "prior" to boot regardless of the sysnand FW version.

I'll probably just setup an emunand again to keep my noob self in check and leave sysnand until the actual devs continue their work.

Last edited by Audioboxer,

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
D9 won't boot after the firm has loaded because it's too high so brahma fails and therefore D9 won't load.
D9 DOES load as arm9loaderhax.bin though but you can't see shit on screen yet obviously. lol

Reactions: Audioboxer

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
D9 won't boot after the firm has loaded because it's too high so brahma fails and therefore D9 won't load.
D9 DOES load as arm9loaderhax.bin though but you can't see shit on screen yet obviously. lol

What about holding the button which launches the FIRM from the actual sysNAND and not the SD?

Kayak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Audioboxer if you update through system settings it can lead to a brick, Shadow updated using Sysupdater with the Native_firm.cia removed, later he installed the native_firm but I would advise against it at the moment.

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
What about holding the button which launches the FIRM from the actual sysNAND and not the SD?
That isn't in this build as far as i know. and any builds I've compiled myself for some reason won't load. (NFI why...)
Either way if your sysnand is above 9.2 brahma will still fail... wtb brahma for >9.2 lol

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That isn't in this build as far as i know. and any builds I've compiled myself for some reason won't load.
Either way if your sysnand is above 9.2 brahma will still fail... wtb brahma for >9.2 lol

I see. Hopefully we'll see a build that supports launching FIRM from sysNAND then, so restoring is an option (not that I'd want to personally).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!