Hacking Arm11 Crashes with B9

D

Deleted-351540

Legacy is essentially the same as 7.1 updated to run on b9s 1.2.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Alright, I'll take a look at the dump once I get back. In the meantime, try out the other debugging options I mentioned.
I'm in the process of making a NAND backup so I can try formatting the 3DS. Should that fail, I don't know what to do. I'm unsure whether or not I can restore a B9Sv1.1 backup safely.

Reactions: astronautlevel

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Looks like 8.0 and 8.1 "stable" are a whole mess and the developers are unable to fix it. https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/issues/682
While I dislike the "works on my machine(TM)" response to the issue, as an issue isn't invalid just because it can't be reproduced by one person - especially when it affects multiple users - I wouldn't say they're unable to fix it, we just need to narrow down what exactly causes it. It's not Rosalina, as it still affects legacy build users.

I'm in the process of making a NAND backup so I can try formatting the 3DS. Should that fail, I don't know what to do. I'm unsure whether or not I can restore a B9Sv1.1 backup safely.
Alright, let me know how it goes

toto621

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@bobdamnit: Sorry it didn't fixed your homebrew issues, I talked about game's issues in my post, all the problems/errors I had with games using "stable" branch got all fixed by using legacy branch, as many other users. Since I use only FBI (installed CIA) as homebrew (and it work perfectly fine on my o3DS and my n3DS, both using legacy build) I cannot help you more about homebrews, I never used them a lot at all.

Anyway, Luma "stable" branch definitly have serious issues due to untested/pushed too quickly changes (like Rosalia), Astronautlevel already aggreed with me on another thread about it (Rosalia) that's why I stick to Legacy branch and recommand it to all Luma users I know.

Like I already suggested, "Legacy" should be renamed as "Stable" and current "stable" as "Testing" until serious 8.x debugging/bugfixing since it's clearly the case actually.

Last edited by toto621,
D

Deleted-351540

While I dislike the "works on my machine(TM)" response to the issue, as an issue isn't invalid just because it can't be reproduced by one person - especially when it affects multiple users - I wouldn't say they're unable to fix it, we just need to narrow down what exactly causes it. It's not Rosalina, as it still affects legacy build users.

Alright, let me know how it goes
I agree that it isn't Rosalina. In fact, Rosalina seems to be operating perfectly and is the only way I can open the Homebrew Launcher. I don't know what is causing so many issues for us, but Rosalina isn't it.

Two questions:

1. Why does formatting the console take longer than making a NAND backup? Good job writing code, Nintendo!

2. Can anyone confirm that a NAND backup made on B9S version 1.1 is safe to restore on a B9S version 1.2 console?

We are formatted. SD card is formatted. Starter pack is freshly downloaded from 3ds.guide and placed on my SD card. Luma3DS 8.1 is the only boot.firm on the SD card and I have not placed Luma3DS on CTRNAND (Ever! I prefer the 3DS being unable to boot without the SD card inserted.)

I have FBI in the homebrew folder on my SD card. Injecting HBL into Download Play worked and I am able to open the HBL app this way. I can launch FBI 2.4.8 from within HBL also. Using this, I was able to install the one homebrew app I can't live without (you might see a theme here) TWLoader. No go at all. Immediate crash. I'm not even going any further installing more homebrew CIA's. I'm just going to assume the issue is persistent and CFW based and not my console.

I don't know what to do any longer. I am unsure whether or not a B9S 1.1 backup can be restored and I know an A9LH backup cannot be without a hardmod. I do not have a hardmod, nor would I like one. I plan on restoring my previously made NAND backup because at least most of my games worked even if none of the homebrew did. And then it will probably sit on my end table for a few weeks while I'm disgusted with it and play Rocket League instead and eventually I'll look back into it.

Last edited by ,

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what to do any longer. I am unsure whether or not a B9S 1.1 backup can be restored and I know an A9LH backup cannot be without a hardmod. I do not have a hardmod, nor would I like one. I plan on restoring my previously made NAND backup because at least most of my games worked even if none of the homebrew did. And then it will probably sit on my end table for a few weeks while I'm disgusted with it and play Rocket League instead and eventually I'll look back into it.
An a9lh backup should be able to be restored without any issue, but I'm not positive. It just needs to be a complete restore (including FIRM0/1) in order to work. I'd like to test it on a console with a hardmod first, though.

For now, I'd wait until I'm able to look into the dumps and test out restoring a9lh. I'll respond to this thread with any new information (or any other way that you find convenient).

D

Deleted-351540

An a9lh backup should be able to be restored without any issue, but I'm not positive. It just needs to be a complete restore (including FIRM0/1) in order to work. I'd like to test it on a console with a hardmod first, though.

For now, I'd wait until I'm able to look into the dumps and test out restoring a9lh. I'll respond to this thread with any new information (or any other way that you find convenient).
Any way is convenient. I'll bookmark this thread and check back periodically. A DM is perfectly acceptable also, however. I appreciate it astronautlevel. And I hope that something comes from this and can be passed along to Aurora for everyone else with similar issues.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is there nothing we can do? Essentially, we have to wait for a new Luma update from devs?

u may be able to choose which luma version is the most stable and go with that. 8.0 and 8.1 can be changed by simply dumping the boot.firm on to the root of the sd card. luma 7.1 can be used on b9s through bootctr9 (never tried doing that). so far I haven't experienced any of these crashes. the dev's name is @Aurora Wright . I think she's still a member here, but I'm not sure. I think some drama happened, so she probably won't respond.

toto621

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@godreborn: No need to use bootctr9 for a clean Luma build, just use legacy builds, they are fully compatible with B9S 1.2 and far more stable (3DS game's side) than 8.x builds (for example, rosalia is NOT included in legacy builds).

Last edited by toto621,
Reactions: godreborn

Trojaner

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
nop ... this crap is random ... But for Arm Crashes you Can try, Restore Full Clean Nand Backup, Format SD, reinstall all apps/games (decrypt Games before install it) ... tryed different ways and Decrypting all games worked for me and No Arm Crashes anymore ... tryed some time before with with a encrypted Ever Oasis... installed encrypted game and ARM Crash sayed Hello to me instead of the Infinite Hang Screen (no TMD or defect file) ... maybe something get wrong with the TMD´s for games atleast or the full Encrypt/Decrypt Routine (ARM) ... possible that something wrong with BS9 itself ... the hole crap come up with BS9 1.2 and Luma 8.0 ...

sp3off

GBATemp's least active boy
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Not sure, but have you updated from a9lh directly to B9S v1.2 or did you do step by step ? (v1.1 and then v1.2)

Because i'm also unable to see what's causing it.

Last edited by sp3off,
D

Deleted-351540

@bobdamnit, just to confirm; you are using TWLoader v5.4.2, correct? I just need to know for debugging purposes :P
Yes. I am using exactly that version. I can also get you versions of other homebrew CIA's immediately crashing and randomly crashing.

Edit: Mario Sports Superstars is booting to a messed up screen again. No dump is made.

Second edit: I just found that TWLoader has a 3dsx version intended for Rosalina. I've downloaded this version and loaded it via Rosalina/HBL and this works perfectly fine. Updating TWLoader/nds-bootstrap will cause an arm11 exception (aborted data) but I expect that to happen as it is documented in the TWLoader thread. The CIA version either will not start (arm11 exception) or will crash very soon afterwords.

Last edited by ,

TuxSH

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Anyway, Luma "stable" branch definitly have serious issues due to untested/pushed too quickly changes (like Rosalia), Astronautlevel already aggreed with me on another thread about it (Rosalia) that's why I stick to Legacy branch and recommand it to all Luma users I know.

Like I already suggested, "Legacy" should be renamed as "Stable" and current "stable" as "Testing" until serious 8.x debugging/bugfixing since it's clearly the case actually.

The bugfixes has been made before 8.1, wtf are you talking about?

You shouldn't recommand an outdated version, and you bullshit you mentionned isn't gonna happen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: