Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
vitaQuake v.2.0

CR2bT3LWEAACGog.png:large

Introduction:
vitaQuake is a port of Quake for PSVITA. It started as a direct port of winQuake but now it' a lot more advanced than this last.
At the moment vitaQuake has unique features like dualshock rumbling when player get hit, an fps counter and an internal render rescaler. It supports also double analogs for comfortable gameplay, online and locale multiplayer with featured servers, soundtracks support, sounds support and a lot more stuffs

Video footage (referred to an old version v.1.3):

Features:
- Native 960x544 resolution!
- Internal render rescaler
- Sound and Soundtrack support (READ BELOW FOR SOUNDTRACK USAGE)
- Support for shareware and full versions of Quake
- Support for mods
- Native support to both PSVITA analogs
- Unique features like dualshock rumbling, fps counter, ...
- Variable camera sensibility for right analog in option menu
- Touch and retrotouch support
- Danzeff keyboard for Quake console usage
- Different hidden settings unlocked in Options Menu (FOV, Depth of Field, Crosshair...)
- Multiplayer with support for both locale and online games with featured online servers
- Support for native Quake and ProQuake online servers

TODO List:
- Switch to hardware GPU rendering
- Add gyroscope support

Controls:
- Left Analog / Digital Pad = Move player
- Right Analog = Move camera
- O / X = Jump
- R Trigger / Square = Shoot
- Triangle = Change Weapon
- L Trigger = Run
- Touch = Show game status
- Retrotouch = Move camera
- Select = Enable Danzeff Keyboard in Console Menu for commands insertion

Credits:
- idSoftware for winQuake engine.
- MasterFeizz for ctrQuake source which i studied to understand how winQuake works.
- xerpi for vita2dlib.
- gnmmarechal for the video footage.
- Ch0wW for several improvements and code cleanup

Installation:
- Place the data folder in ux0:/

About Multiplayer:
Currently there is only one official vitaQuake server that uses only shareware maps and is a simple deatmatch with 16 slots. If you want to start a new server, please contact me.
If you want to join the multiplayer community, take a look here: https://rinnegatamante.it/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=29

How to use soundtrack:
- Create a folder in ux0:/data/Quake and call it cdtracks
- Place the audio tracks renamed as track001, track0002, ... in ogg or mp3 format in this folder.

You can find complete soundtrack in ogg format here: https://www.quaddicted.com/files/music/quake_music.zip

Screenshot:
CR3hDonWIAA0LOq.png:large

Links:
Download: http://rinnegatamante.it
GitHub Repository: https://github.com/Rinnegatamante/vitaQuake

Last edited by Rinnegatamante,

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Great, thanks for porting.
Time for the 20-years-of-Quake-anniversary-gaming-session :D

- Switch to hardware GPU rendering​
Would GLQuake then be possible?

- Add gyroscope support​
It would be great to have the sixaxis for precise aiming (and stick with the analogs for general aiming).
This way aiming is even more fun than using a mouse (at least it was in Uncharted: GA).
But I'm curious if this works out well with a game that fast.

Last edited by VitaType,

Rinnegatamante

OP
Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Great, thanks for porting.
Time for the 20-years-of-Quake-anniversary-gaming-session :D

Would GLQuake then be possible?

It would be great to have the sixaxis for precise aiming (and stick with the analogs for general aiming).
This way aiming is even more fun than using a mouse (at least it was in Uncharted: GA).
But I'm curious if this works out well with a game that fast.

I still have to look at GPU API in vitasdk but yes, i'm planning to switch to glQuake in the future if API are not so different from openGl ones.

Added a video footage recorded by @gnmmarechal of the game on OP if someone is interested in seeing frameate or other stuffs

Reactions: gnmmarechal

froggydarren

Trophies
XP
Country
Just a quick question really as stated 960x544 is the native res hopefully all vita homebrew runs in but is it at all possible to render higher for PSTV users?

I'm assuming it carnt and the pstv simply upscales the 960x544 to 720p/1080i but I'd thought I would ask anyways ;) would be a nice feature if possible if there wasn't much of a performance hit mind ;) ;)

Rinnegatamante

OP
Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Yayy! Really dumb question (since I know very little about Quake) but does this mean we can run modded versions of Quake with this? (eg Kurok, Halo Solitude)

A dev should edit the engine but in theory yes, it's possible. (I'm quite sure Kurok uses Quake II engine, not Quake I).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just a quick question really as stated 960x544 is the native res hopefully all vita homebrew runs in but is it at all possible to render higher for PSTV users?

I'm assuming it carnt and the pstv simply upscales the 960x544 to 720p/1080i but I'd thought I would ask anyways ;) would be a nice feature if possible if there wasn't much of a performance hit mind ;) ;)

Unofrtunately not, it's not possible cause as you said, 960x544 is the resolution used by PSTV too and then the console upscales (or downscale) it to adapt to the screen size.

froggydarren

Trophies
XP
Country
Yep thought as much tbh it scales rather well (more so in 1080i for me anyways) but thought I'd ask lol...

I assume running such a low resolution helps performance anyways?

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Installation:
- Place the data folder in ux0:/​

It would be nice either to be able to choose these location manuelly (since data is a pretty generic name, maybe used by other programs in future too) or at last to add these install introduction into the next release rar (if we want to play these some day again and don't know it anymore).

Last edited by VitaType,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
It would be nice either to be able to choose these location manuelly (since data is a pretty generic name, maybe used by other programs in future too) or at last to add these install introduction into the next release rar (if we want to play these some day again and don't know it anymore).
Actually, the files are under ux0:/data/Quake/
Say, Vita Doom stores its files under ux0:/data/Doom

It's perfectly fine.

Rinnegatamante

OP
Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Yep thought as much tbh it scales rather well (more so in 1080i for me anyways) but thought I'd ask lol...

I assume running such a low resolution helps performance anyways?

Probably it's just that Sony devs were too lazy to patch their API to allows bigger resolutions :P

@Rinnegatamante Talking about quake mods, do you know which version of quake is using Nazi Zombies Portable?

Quite sure is Quake II too like Kurok.

data will be used for Homebrew data. Such directory was suggested by xyzz to me, one of the HENkaku devs.

Could you possibly add vita keyboard support for the console?

ATm there's Danzeff keyboard cause when i wrote it first, keyboard was not properly RE. I'll take a look to vitasdk and, if it's possible, i'll replace Danzeff with PSVITA one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over