Hacking Are there any advantages to having an Original PS3 model?

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really, back in 2007 many of my mates had the phat PS3, bought in Portugal, with full support for PS2 games hardware-wise.
There's 2 models of the Phat, the one that does software emulation (the Phat PS3 with 2 USB ports) and the other with hardware emulation (4 USB ports).
Like I said, if you're looking to buy an early model, you know damn well what you're getting and how well it does for your best interests.
I also replaced the thermal paste of one of my friends's model and the EmotionEngine chipset was right there, proving it wasn't software based but hardware.
Limited compatibility has nothing to do with the fact that it plays on hardware, of course some games are gonna have their share of troubles perhaps because its not being ran on an actual PS2 console

2 USB ports were later models such as the 40GB which didn't officially support PS2 playback in any way. (Unless you buy officially licensed PS2 games from PSN).

There were two kinds, hardware based and software based. Japan and America had the hardware based models and the EU had software based. It's best for you to research within the support links on the official Sony website so you don't get confused. The link I sent earlier shows which EU models were officially able to play PS2 games. Japan and American can be found by a quick google.

https://support.us.playstation.com/...ne-and-PlayStation-2-Games-on-a-PlayStation-3

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
2 USB ports were later models such as the 40GB which didn't officially support PS2 playback in any way. (Unless you buy officially licensed PS2 games from PSN).

There were two kinds, hardware based and software based. Japan and America had the hardware based models and the EU had software based. It's best for you to research within the support links on the official Sony website so you don't get confused. The link I sent earlier shows which EU models were officially able to play PS2 games. Japan and American can be found by a quick google.

https://support.us.playstation.com/...ne-and-PlayStation-2-Games-on-a-PlayStation-3
That might be so, however that still doesn't explain why my European country was selling such models.

YOUCANTSTOPME

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Unless you really care about better PS2 compatibility, then no. No extra advantages. I'm sure most people wouldn't notice the difference anyway in the way it plays PS2 games tbh.

At least they're all hackable though, can't say the same for all Slims and Super Slims. (Yes I know about the exploits for Super Slims, it's not full CFW though).

Those fats are for the most part unreliable now.

Last edited by YOUCANTSTOPME,

zeveroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depending g on fw, you might be able to install otheros. The scene has come a long way since the days of teensy and such. Just don't connect to psn if you get cfw. I know first hand that they don't like that .lol

VictorMoreno015

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually own a CECHA01 model and the only upside I can say is that you play your physical PS2 games.
The cooling is bad, the airflow is terrible, its too loud, it makes my room too hot.
Its still cool to have.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I actually own a CECHA01 model and the only upside I can say is that you play your physical PS2 games.
The cooling is bad, the airflow is terrible, its too loud, it makes my room too hot.
Its still cool to have.
It's cool to have for sure, but also somewhat useless.

I actually own both and have CFW on both. Owning a Slim makes you realise how impractical the original console is in terms of size and inefficient cooling. Pretty much the only way to stop my Phat from killing itself is to crank up the fans, making it sound like a rocket ship and yet the temps still aren't close to the Slim. When the exploit dropped last November for newer consoles, I almost ran to the store to get a Slim CECH-2500A and stick that damn Phat in the closet.

D

Deleted User

It's cool to have for sure, but also somewhat useless.

I actually own both and have CFW on both. Owning a Slim makes you realise how impractical the original console is in terms of size and inefficient cooling. Pretty much the only way to stop my Phat from killing itself is to crank up the fans, making it sound like a rocket ship and yet the temps still aren't close to the Slim. When the exploit dropped last November for newer consoles, I almost ran to the store to get a Slim CECH-2500A and stick that damn Phat in the closet.
The early models are great for collecters since being able to pop in a ps2 disc on a ps3 and play it is a great feature,but its not an ideal model if your looking for longevity.

Last edited by ,

RealLatias

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The original could be treated like a collectors model I guess, I mean it does show how the PS3 has evolved from the original to the slim to the super slim.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Remember to take your meds like AncientBoi.