Hacking Are there any advantages to having an Original PS3 model?

Seffo182

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just picked up an original phat PS3. Besides having the "emotion" chip , and being able to play PS2 disks are there any other advantages of this model? Can it use OPL to load PS2 games off of an external or something? If so is loading PS2 games off of internal better anyways? (more compatibility for example?)

I guess the 4 usb ports may come in handy, tho I guess a hub could be used on other models if needed.

Thanks!

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Well, one of the advantages is that it has more compatibility with PS2 games, and you'll be able to play some games that freeze or crash on NOR Phats, Slims and Super Slims, like PaRappa the Rapper 2 and Dead or Alive 2
Other than that I don't find any other advantage (NAND phat user here :P)

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
interested in info in this thread
i only go for the ps2 ones because it's easier to load my original ps2 discs or isos.. not sure if the ps2 isos can be loaded normally in multiman, or we have to go trough ps2 classic stuff extra programs..

-doenst include useless features
like what? 4 usb ports in the original model is actually useful.. and the sd card reader can also help to trasnfer stuff from a pc

-hackable
good point, only the slims can be hacked /sarcasm

Reactions: Seffo182

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i only go for the ps2 ones because it's easier to load my original ps2 discs or isos.. not sure if the ps2 isos can be loaded normally in multiman, or we have to go trough ps2 classic stuff extra programs..
You can run PS2 isos directly if you have a Cobra-enabled cfw AND backup manager, else Multiman will offer to make (half of) a ps2 classic instead (see the recent "easy way" tutorial)
(Webman rocks btw)
like what? 4 usb ports in the original model is actually useful.. and the sd card reader can also help to trasnfer stuff from a pc
It's very funny that the card reader is missing in all the models that don't have the luxury of 4 ports in the first place :D

Reactions: Seffo182 and migles

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
You can run PS2 isos directly if you have a Cobra-enabled cfw AND backup manager, else Multiman will offer to make (half of) a ps2 classic instead (see the recent "easy way" tutorial)
(Webman rocks btw)

It's very funny that the card reader is missing in all the models that don't have the luxury of 4 ports in the first place :D
isn't rebug the only good\worth option to go by nowadays? which is cobra enabled...

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
isn't rebug the only good\worth option to go by nowadays? which is cobra enabled...
I prefer Ferrox Cobra as I don't care for almost every Rebug-"exclusive" feature, but yes Rebug has Cobra (off by default, but install rebug toolbox and turn it on in 7 clicks)

TR_mahmutpek

medic
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
interested in info in this thread

good point, only the slims can be hacked /sarcasm
I didnt go for details. Some points you are right but mostly ps3 slim better than phat model.

D

Deleted User

Well you can jailbreak it to use webman which lets you run ps2,ps1,psp and ps3 games in iso format both internally and externally(4gb or lower limit due to fat32 i think for external,internal of course can be any size since its on the harddrive)You also might want to use fan controll homebrew on a nand console since the cpu tends to go over 80 degrees.Multiman also comes in handy for running games that are folder extracted and running them straight from your harddrive.

These are things you can already do on all other ps3's of course except the 3000 and ss,but besides being able to play ps2 games off the disk,theres not much else.

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

Then it REALLY needs thermal paste replacement (on both sides of the IHS), as I can get mine to a stable 74 even with the crappy stock fan control (or 65 at fixed 30% speed)
Are you on a nand? My nand does that but the old fat nor (k model) i just fixed stays around 70 with no fan controll

Last edited by ,

xwizit

Trophies
XP
Country
I have both a slim and an OG phat

The PS2 compat on the slim is horrendous at best. Most games have issues and some dont load at all.

And the PS3 is the best ps2 player. It upscales better than my OSSC does. Really helps make ps2 games not look like total shit.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I own both a original 60GB hardware compatible PS3 and a Slim CECH-2500 PS3 with CFW installed to both, and I think the negatives to owning the old 60GB PS3 outweigh the benefits.

The main advantage is the hardware compatibility with PS2 games, But I'm actually surprised by how well the software emulation on the later PS3 machines actually works through CFW. A massive amount of games work fine or with only minor issues. It's nice to use a machine that runs quietly, doesn't sound like a rocket ship, takes up less space, and isn't perpetually at risk of an YLOD. I'd go with a Slim.

Last edited by sj33,

Seffo182

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I already have 2 slims, one dedicated for online, and one with Ferrox Cobra. But I saw some1 was selling an original phat at a great price and figured why not. At the price I bought it at I could sell it easily for a bit more even, or I could keep it. I kinda wanna keep it : )
....If I were ever to go through the trouble of learning how to hardmod in some cooling, it technically would be the best of both worlds...

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If you get a Phat console, I highly recommend opening it up and replacing the thermal paste with something like MX4 or AS5. I'd recommend it with the Slim too but even moreso with the Phat because that thermal paste will be bone dry. Also, install WebMan and set the fan speed up quite high - something like 60% at least. It will sound loud but will help prevent a YLOD.

Last edited by sj33,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those who don't know, here's a summary:

-Original ps3 had ps2 hardware inside of it so it could play ps2 games. Think of it as two systems in one
-Updated ps3 had the ps2 hardware removed and just emulated ps2 games through software only.
-Updateder ps3 removed ps2 software emulation because of...reasons.
-psx (original playstation for you non-americans) is supported for all version, though I'm not sure if it's a hardware thing for the first or if it's software emulated throughout.

The only models that can play PS2 games natively are the launch 20GB and 60GB models. The 80GB model with 4 USB ports is the one that software emulates.

But really, it's not a huge deal. Custom FirmWare(CFW) lets you play them perfectly fine. Really, as long as you're using CFW there aren't really any benefits to a phat. Maybe with ease of replacing HDD, because ps3 slim is evil to disassemble. Super slim is cheaper quality, so just avoid that.

Yup. I like my phat.

Last edited by osaka35,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.