Apple to drop YouTube app in iOS 6 firmware

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
In the latest iOS 6 B4 firmware, Apple has dropped the YouTube app in the system software. Apple has also confirmed that YouTube will no longer exist in the final iOS 6 build.

However, there's no need to worry. Google is actively working on a YouTube application on the App Store. iOS devices running below 6.0 will continue to have YouTube built in.

SOURCE: http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/8/6/3223775/apple-youtube-ios6

This is really good news IMO. The built-in app seriously sucks. Having it on the App Store also allows consistent updating.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I'll just stick with the Cydia clients.
Not surprised, as I heard they were integrating all Google stuff into the nexus tablets.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Isn't this kinda throwing away a major selling point of the devices?

The fact that you have to download the Youtube app separately can impose a usage barrier on a lot of hopeless users.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Not a bad thing if they allow constant updates to the app and make it non mandatory for people who don't use it.

(I actually use it a lot so don't mess with my youtube apple. :teach: )

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

The fact that you have to download the Youtube app separately can impose a usage barrier on a lot of hopeless users.
Well, I don't remember YT being a selling point for iOS devices (besides Apple TV if you count that).

The built-in app just sucks. You can't set HQ over cellular, you can't do this you can't do that.

Google did a good job for Chrome on iOS, so I have the confidence that they'll make YT splendid too.

Reactions: 1 person

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

I doubt anyone ever bought an iOS device because it had a built in YouTube app. If they know YouTube exists, they'll be able to find it in the browser (the website is already superior to the built in app according to articles I saw on the matter).

EDIT: Plus, if they can't manage to download an app from the App Store, there is zero point in them having an iOS device.

Reactions: 1 person

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm guessing they removed it since Youtube belongs to google and stuff?
Since Google is Apple's main OS rival, I guess they could remove it from the system because of that... Well, iOS users will get an even better Youtube app because of this since Google is working on one themselves now. ^^

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since Google is Apple's main OS rival, I guess they could remove it from the system because of that... Well, iOS users will get an even better Youtube app because of this since Google is working on one themselves now. ^^
the youtube app on android is pretty crappy fyi

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
the youtube app on android is pretty crappy fyi
I have an Android phone, so I know how it is.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
According to Apple, their license with Google ended for having YouTube on the OS.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
The app has been needing updated for years and Apple were loath to do anything to it. I stopped using it after a few months when I discovered that the website was so much better.
Glad its been dropped. It means Google can write one more like the stellar Android version

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Epic 4GTouch and the built in Youtube app is the best one I've ever used - I literally have zero complaints with it. I wasn't sure what people were talking about when they said 'most youtube apps suck' because I assumes they were all like mine.

And then I picked up my friends iPhone. Needless to say, I think this is good news.

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No doubt this is in correlation to Google/YouTubes push to get mobile advertisements working across all platforms by the end of the year. I'm actually very happy about this, The Youtube app on iOS is terrible and I don't like YouTube mobile that much either, I hope google creates an app that will give you almost as much access as the full site does, as a YouTube Partner being able to access every inch of the site on the go would be a dream come true.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has nothing to do with Apple vs Google.

Anyone can get the youtube api and make an app [as seen on android, there are tons of crap clients and some good ones] They want google to make one for themselves to update, because the ios app was so far behind. It apparently couldnt support ads, so a lot of vevo music stuff wasnt available, and other things like that.

Im sure everyone is able to find and download a youtube app from an app store...

D

Deleted User

It doesn't bother me. But if they incorporate ads into the new YouTube app, I'm staying on ios 5.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm okay with this. I would prefer it to be an optional install.
Precisely. As far as I'm concerned, there should be only the bare minimum of apps preinstalled in any OS. The manufacturer of a device shouldn't try to guess what the user will want, they should just leave it to the user to install the apps they want. (IMO)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place