Apple to drop YouTube app in iOS 6 firmware

Sevael

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If they know YouTube exists, they'll be able to find it in the browser (the website is already superior to the built in app according to articles I saw on the matter).
This.

On every version of the iPhone, I've always gone into General > Restrictions in the Settings app and disabled the YouTube app. That way all YouTube links go to the browser. Then I access it via a browser bookmark, just as I do on my PC. You have the option of putting a shortcut icon on your springboard too.

The browser version of YouTube has always been excellent on iPhone. It's faster than the standalone app and doesn't have the limitations. You can choose high quality right on the video. I never saw a single reason to use the app version over the web version.

Reactions: 1 person

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This seems like a step backward for Apple, but considering all the complaints about the built in app, this is probably a step forward for the customers. So yeah, I'd call this a win-win.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This seems like a step backward for Apple, but considering all the complaints about the built in app, this is probably a step forward for the customers. So yeah, I'd call this a win-win.
It's not really a step backwards for Apple. For years, their built in app has been outdated and far inferior to the web site. But yet, they've presumably had to do at least some work on updating it. Now they won't have to. It's "outsourced" to Google. Apple don't really lose anything, but now don't have to worry about doing anything with rubbish, outdated app. Definitely a step forwards in my eyes.

Just use your browser. Cant chrome and shiz handle youtube?
Emm true but sometimes using your PC has a lot of cons

Getting your ass up, walk to your PC, turn it on, 5min later.. Yessssss! YT is on (depends on pc speed)
He meant a browser on your iOS device (Chrome has been released for iOS, yes. Safari also does the job perfectly well).

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TBH I was wondering when this would happen. I was even surprised they used Google Maps for so long, despite Google being a direct competitor and all.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Getting your ass up, walk to your PC, turn it on, 5min later.. Yessssss! YT is on (depends on pc speed)
What are you smoking? Your mobile browser. Just use your mobile browser to surf youtube. Keep a tab open in safari or chrome or whatever you use.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country

What are you smoking? Your mobile browser. Just use your mobile browser to surf youtube. Keep a tab open in safari or chrome or whatever you use.
Seriously, this. Youtube apps on near everything totally suck. I find the in-browser, mobile site to work far better in terms of pretty much everything. I use nothing but the default browser on my Nook Color with CM7 (I tried other browsers, but I find the default to actually be pretty good). I've never had an issue with the mobile site, while the Andorid app was always a pain to use. I can't imagine the iPhone app has ever been much better. Sticking to the mobile site is the way to go.

D

Deleted-236924

I'm guessing they removed it since Youtube belongs to google and stuff?
Since Google is Apple's main OS rival, I guess they could remove it from the system because of that... Well, iOS users will get an even better Youtube app because of this since Google is working on one themselves now. ^^
the youtube app on android is pretty crappy fyi
I guess that explains why I've never had any problem having it do what I want.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing they removed it since Youtube belongs to google and stuff?
Since Google is Apple's main OS rival, I guess they could remove it from the system because of that... Well, iOS users will get an even better Youtube app because of this since Google is working on one themselves now. ^^
the youtube app on android is pretty crappy fyi
I guess that explains why I've never had any problem having it do what I want.
except if you need to manage comments, edit your own video settings, edit your account details, click on in video links

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont care im an android user :)
Wow if that post was any more helpful or meaningful we would have to make that a sticky.

The youtube app has been gathering virtual dust for ages now. I have it hidden with "Poof" along with the rest of the apps apple thinks people use...
moreapps_stocks.jpg

Stocks, im looking at you.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
except if you need to manage comments, edit your own video settings, edit your account details,

Ah so you mean it sucks as a broadcaster? Yea, I don't think the apps are designed for that purpose

click on in video links

You can't follow in video links in the Android app? Awesome! Can you hide them all together?

Beldr

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.darkcookies.com
XP
Country
Wow if that post was any more helpful or meaningful we would have to make that a sticky.

The youtube app has been gathering virtual dust for ages now. I have it hidden with "Poof" along with the rest of the apps apple thinks people use...
moreapps_stocks.jpg

see it like this
why having a youtube app if you can load youtube via ur Browser?
same for android

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States

moreapps_stocks.jpg

Normally I would agree with you on his meaningless post, but remember these are forums to express your opinions.

Anyway, as someone else mentioned, using the google chrome browser on your device is a good alternative. Protube HD actually goes to youtube.com in mobile format.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I never used YouTube.app on my iPod touch but I will miss it on the iPad. I literally use it every day and I love it. But I hope the one Google makes is good(and universal).

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I never used YouTube.app on my iPod touch but I will miss it on the iPad. I literally use it every day and I love it. But I hope the one Google makes is good(and universal).
I am sure the one Google will make will surpass the old version. Mainly because I generally find that the owners of a particular service do a better job of making apps for it, and keeping them up to date with all the latest features etc.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am sure the one Google will make will surpass the old version. Mainly because I generally find that the owners of a particular service do a better job of making apps for it, and keeping them up to date with all the latest features etc.
The only reason in scpetical is because Google's Offical Gmail app for iOS is just a UIWebView.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: if i have time for that