Anyone using a USB hub ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by AdamBrunt, Jan 9, 2009.

Jan 9, 2009

Anyone using a USB hub ? by AdamBrunt at 8:12 AM (1,092 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. AdamBrunt
    OP

Member AdamBrunt GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hi all,

As above really.

I will shortly find myself in the position of having 3 USB devices (2 x mic and 1 x USB LAN adaptor) but only 2 slots on the Wii.

I suppose I could take out the LAN adaptor when we were using both mics but is anyone currently using a usb hub successfully with their Wii which they could recommend ?

Also, speaking of the mics, I got them off eBay before christmas and despite claiming it allows 2 people to sing at the same time the Wii only recognises both of them as 1 mic [​IMG] So I now have to either get another mic or a "mic -> usb adaptor".

Regards,

Adam Brunt

2. Mike Shinoda

Newcomer Mike Shinoda Member

Canada
    well i use my wii with my dell multimedia keyboard which has a integreated usb hub and i tried a usb hub from linksys it works fine.

3. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Any USB hub should work fine. Mine works, I have a keyboard and mouse connected.

Just note that according to the Nintendo, LAN adapters must be directly connected to work, not through a USB hub.

So you should leave your LAN adapter on one of the ports, and chuck in a USB hub for the other port [​IMG]

Also you wouldn't want to get anything less than 4 ports really, who knows how many USB devices you'll want in the future [​IMG].
    But also note that according to Nintendo, bus powered USB hubs may have issues with too many devices connected (I don't know how many, but i guess it depends on how much power is being drawn from the wii). I would guess you're pretty safe with 4 ports though.

4. AdamBrunt
    OP

Well as a test (and cos it was cheap) I have tried the official Singstar 'dongle' (which apparently included a USB hub) but the wii didn't seems to recognise it at all.

I have a mini 2-port bus powered hub on the way from eBay which will hopefully work. But agree it might be worth getting a 4--port one instead (and this should probably be a mains powered one to be safe]. I did see the note on Nintendo's site about potential issues with bus-powered hubs (and how the LAN adaptor must not go through a hub).

I am also wondering if the RB and RB2 hubs are RB specific or just general usb hubs ?

5. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    You can use MPlayer / GeeXBox to watch movies that are stored on a flashdrive that are connected to the RB1/2 USB Hubs.

6. AdamBrunt
    OP

Cool. Looks like the RB1/2 hubs are just generic hubs then - good to know.

The 2 port usb hub (off ebay) has, apparently, arrived at home so I will test that tonight.

UPDATE: That seems to work fine [​IMG] And moving the mic between different USB slots is picked up straight away as different players