Hardware Anyone using a USB hub ?

AdamBrunt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

As above really.

I will shortly find myself in the position of having 3 USB devices (2 x mic and 1 x USB LAN adaptor) but only 2 slots on the Wii.

I suppose I could take out the LAN adaptor when we were using both mics but is anyone currently using a usb hub successfully with their Wii which they could recommend ?

Also, speaking of the mics, I got them off eBay before christmas and despite claiming it allows 2 people to sing at the same time the Wii only recognises both of them as 1 mic
frown.gif
So I now have to either get another mic or a "mic -> usb adaptor".

Regards,

Adam Brunt

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Any USB hub should work fine. Mine works, I have a keyboard and mouse connected.

Just note that according to the Nintendo, LAN adapters must be directly connected to work, not through a USB hub.

So you should leave your LAN adapter on one of the ports, and chuck in a USB hub for the other port
smile.gif

Also you wouldn't want to get anything less than 4 ports really, who knows how many USB devices you'll want in the future
happy.gif
But also note that according to Nintendo, bus powered USB hubs may have issues with too many devices connected (I don't know how many, but i guess it depends on how much power is being drawn from the wii). I would guess you're pretty safe with 4 ports though.

AdamBrunt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well as a test (and cos it was cheap) I have tried the official Singstar 'dongle' (which apparently included a USB hub) but the wii didn't seems to recognise it at all.

I have a mini 2-port bus powered hub on the way from eBay which will hopefully work. But agree it might be worth getting a 4--port one instead (and this should probably be a mains powered one to be safe]. I did see the note on Nintendo's site about potential issues with bus-powered hubs (and how the LAN adaptor must not go through a hub).

I am also wondering if the RB and RB2 hubs are RB specific or just general usb hubs ?

AdamBrunt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cool. Looks like the RB1/2 hubs are just generic hubs then - good to know.

The 2 port usb hub (off ebay) has, apparently, arrived at home so I will test that tonight.

UPDATE: That seems to work fine
smile.gif
And moving the mic between different USB slots is picked up straight away as different players

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...