Hacking Anybody else feel that the cyclo has a shorter batter life than most f

MrSpud

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
cutterjohn: You don't NEED to have the last word, please understand the difference between the facts that you are quoting from other people's official battery test and personnal facts that users are reporting. We know what the battery life should be, we are just reporting what it is for us, our experience.

I would also like to know why most people are not having issues with their batteries but few of them do. You know, it's how you say it, not what you say, nobody is arguing with me...

BTW, I'm not JJBro1 or Enter260, I mean, come on, is that your argument? Battery life is fine...

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure why this discussion has turned so personal, but there really is an easy way to find out if your Cyclo has a battery problem.

Buy a real f*cking game!

Test your battery life on a real game (run it on the intro, for example), and run the same test on the same rom in the Cyclo.

If you're adventurous, and actually give a shit about the results, test it once with regular microSD and once with microSDHC

In case you can't figure it out, this will isolate any problems with the CycloDS itself, since the DS and battery in question remain unchanged.

The people who have taken the time to actually test battery life in a logical manner have reported good results with the CycloDS. Any claims to the contrary need to be substantiated by testing against a real game before they will be entertained by rational people.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I also noticed a drop in battery life when switching to the Cyclo Evolution. I had an R4 before, where there was a slight but noticeable battery life drop compared to retail (and it would frequently run out of battery overnight in sleep mode when I'd forget to charge it, which seems to be worse with the Cyclo).

Shortly before I received my Cyclo, not too long ago, I tested my R4 by fully charging it, putting it in sleep mode, and carrying it with me as I went around campus that day, and I found it lasted the whole day (7 hours), with some time to spare when I got home (I got in a nice, long game of Advance Wars: Dual Strike before I had to put it on the charger). (Black DS Lite, R4 firmware 1.13 or 1.14, 2GB Sandisk MicroSD)

However, I recently (and inadvertently) ran a similar test with the CycloDS. I had left it in sleep mode overnight while charging. In the morning, I unplugged it and took it with me to campus with plans to play it, but I never got the chance to. When I got home about 7 hours later, the power indicator was blinking red, and while I was fishing out the AC adapter, it flat-lined. (Black DS Lite, Cyclo Evolution firmware 1.3, 8gb Sandisk MicroSDHC)

So anyway, that's my experience, and why I've come to the conclusion that the Cyclo is a bit of a power hog when compared to other FC's. I will concede though that I played the DS some between these two events, so to what extent the battery's degradation played a part in this is unknown to me.

maxpowersin

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Szyslak said:
I'm not sure why this discussion has turned so personal, but there really is an easy way to find out if your Cyclo has a battery problem.

Buy a real f*cking game!

Test your battery life on a real game (run it on the intro, for example), and run the same test on the same rom in the Cyclo.

If you're adventurous, and actually give a shit about the results, test it once with regular microSD and once with microSDHC

In case you can't figure it out, this will isolate any problems with the CycloDS itself, since the DS and battery in question remain unchanged.

The people who have taken the time to actually test battery life in a logical manner have reported good results with the CycloDS. Any claims to the contrary need to be substantiated by testing against a real game before they will be entertained by rational people.

This is actually a very brilliant idea..
I think jjbro and enter260 need to do this once. Get a real game and compare battery lifes with a real cart and the original game. If they are about 30 min apart then it's all ok coz that is to be expected. I think jjbro and enter260 didn't actually try this still. I hope they do soon and post the results here.
smile.gif

Enter260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why has this thread turned so personal? Because the ill-informed cutterjohn decided to attack me out of nowhere under the grounds that I did not read the thread. And then, (in case you aren't up to date) he started making accusations about how I'm a troll and other bullshit he pulled out of his ass. But luckily, I think he'll stay out of this discussion now.

There is no need to test using a real game cart since my M3 Simply and Supercard DS 1 receive significantly longer battery life than my Cyclo. It has been shown (numerous times in this thread by a certain someone) that flashcards get slightly less battery life than a real card. I don't know exactly how much longer battery life I get with my Supercard, but I remember getting about 10-12 hours on my M3 with the 2nd highest brightest lcd setting. As for the supercard, I just know from real hand experience that I don't have to charge my DS as often as when I play with my cyclo.

If my cyclo gave me the same amount of battery life or close to what I got with my M3 Simply, I'd be a very happy camper.

JJBro1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Szyslak said:

Buy a real f*cking game!

ya i already did that loser, so next time try reading the whole thread... http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=1089299

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
JJBro1 said:
Szyslak said:

Buy a real f*cking game!

ya i already did that loser, so next time try reading the whole thread... http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=1089299
You have not, in this thread, posted any test results where you compared the battery life of your DS with a CycloDS in vs a REAL GAME.

Same game, same part of the game, same brightness setting, leave the DS on.

It is a standard way to test the effect on battery life of a flashcart because it makes sense. That's why intelligent people include it in their flashcart reviews. It is the only way to isolate the flashcart as the variable in draining of battery life.

No one wants to see some half-assed test of your Cyclo vs your R4 with any number of other variables thrown in. If you would run a credible test, people might listen to you.

And yes, I did unfortunately read this whole thread. Something I will remember not to do again when you have created the topic.

BTW, you should really learn to disagree with someone without calling them names. My suggestion was not an attack on you or anyone in particular.

maxpowersin

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Don't mind him Szyslak. He is just a guy who calls people names who try to help him. In my opinion these people don't deserve any kind of respect.

Everybody in numerous threads suggested him to test with a real game. But what he does is put a r4 with 1 gb Microsd and Cyclo with 4gb microsdhc. People have also stressed that this is not a fair comparison. But no... this won't go through his head...

I think mods should close this thread...
dry.gif

Enter260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a test is performed correctly, I don't see why another flash cart can't be used as a substitute to a real card when comparing to the Cyclo. If the other flashcart gets significantly longer battery life, something is wrong, no?

maxpowersin

Trophies
XP
Country
India
You are totally right Enter260. If a test between 2 flashcarts is done FAIRLY then there is no use of a real cart. What jjbro is doing is putting a 4gb microsdhc in cyclo and a 1/2 gb microsd in r4 and comparing. Now everybody knows that isn't a fair test. You must know this too... the microSDHC draws more power
smile.gif

But jjbro isn't doing that. In fact he fought about why he couldn't use the 4gb microsdhc in cyclo in spite of ppl telling him the reason.

I hope that atleast you understand the situation dude (enter260).. You can do the suggested test and report back.

JJBro1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Szyslak said:
JJBro1 said:
Szyslak said:

Buy a real f*cking game!

You have not, in this thread, posted any test results where you compared the battery life of your DS with a CycloDS in vs a REAL GAME.

Same game, same part of the game, same brightness setting, leave the DS on.

It is a standard way to test the effect on battery life of a flashcart because it makes sense. That's why intelligent people include it in their flashcart reviews. It is the only way to isolate the flashcart as the variable in draining of battery life.

No one wants to see some half-assed test of your Cyclo vs your R4 with any number of other variables thrown in. If you would run a credible test, people might listen to you.

And yes, I did unfortunately read this whole thread. Something I will remember not to do again when you have created the topic.

BTW, you should really learn to disagree with someone without calling them names. My suggestion was not an attack on you or anyone in particular.
srry about that its just the way you worded it made me think you were being an ass. And i did do that test i just gave you the link.

JJBro1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maxpowersin said:
Don't mind him Szyslak. He is just a guy who calls people names who try to help him. In my opinion these people don't deserve any kind of respect.

Everybody in numerous threads suggested him to test with a real game. But what he does is put a r4 with 1 gb Microsd and Cyclo with 4gb microsdhc. People have also stressed that this is not a fair comparison. But no... this won't go through his head...

I think mods should close this thread...
dry.gif
i did test it with a real game and it lasted longer than both carts so what is the point? and obviously you didn't read my test. First of all its a 2GB not a 1GB and i used both the 2GB and the 4GB in the cyclo and they lasted about the same. I've done all your tests its just that you guys are not reading my results.

JJBro1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maxpowersin said:
QUOTE said:
i did test it with a real game and it lasted longer than both carts

Exactly how long..
exactly i can't tell you because i just left it in sleep mode and when i came back from school the r4 still had the green light whereas the cyclo had the red light and the r4 lasted all the way to the next morning.

maxpowersin

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Again that's not a fair test. Everybody knows that cyclods or any other flash cart draws more power from the ds in the sleep mode..

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Enter260, you should send your Evo back to RHS. You said you've only had it for a month now, and they have a 3 month return policy. So return it and get a new one. If the new is still giving you the same results, then I don't know what to tell you. If you can't live with it, then just return it for your money and continue to keep using your SCDS1. Since this cart is just as good, if not better, than the Evo(*waits for all the diehard Evo fanboys to chime in*).

And JJbro1, I suggest you do the same. If you still can. Just send it back for a new one. It is very possible you two got(and many others that we don't know about) got defective Evo's. Because as we all know, their first couple batches had a ton of defective of Evo's. So defectives from their newest batches are definitely possible too.

Enter260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I just e-mailed RHS. I'm so torn over the Cyclo. It has some great features but this battery thing is annoying the hell out of me.

So has anyone dealt with returns to RHS? Do you only pay shipping there? Or do you have to pay shipping both ways? If it's the latter case..... I might as well just try and sell it.

JJBro1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maxpowersin said:
Again that's not a fair test. Everybody knows that cyclods or any other flash cart draws more power from the ds in the sleep mode..
then explain how the r4 lasted significantly longer than the cyclo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: