Hacking Any way to make a homebrew app that can bypass the stupid 292 game limit?

Powerful

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your first problem is if you have the Wii U homebrewed than you should use emulators! They are better anyways, add a lot more features to the roms/system. This will free up a shit ton of room for you to put the rest of your games on.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
except that there is no expecting other people to fix problems for you if you do have 12,000 snes games, you simply grab an emulator and you can play what you want from the list, now if emulators could only list up 300 games due to a limitation of windows and someone was saying "urgh someone hack windows so I can have a list of 12,000 games" then I'm sure they would get a similar reaction...i.e delete the stuff you don't want right now/ever.
Funny thing about that: There was an anti-feature in the initial release of Windows 10 (v1507) that limited the Start Menu to 512 items. This included every single shortcut in the Start Menu (and some programs install a lot of shortcuts), so more than 512 items is common. Which 512 items are displayed? random();

http://www.samlogic.net/blog/2015/1...menu-is-gone-in-the-latest-windows-10-update/

This was fixed in the "Threshold 2" update. (v1511)

Also, regarding OP: Every single post I've seen of his has been whiny and entitled. I would not be surprised if someone who was currently working on a hack for this decided to throw it out in spite. (I know he'll respond to this post bitching about me being "rude", but respect is a two-way street: you don't respect anyone else, you don't get respect in return.)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well people do have a point, The emulators are better in the since that roms are lot smaller, VC games are a rom including other fancy stuff to make it bigger file size than maybe needed or intended, simply to have stuff like save states, game suspended and the manual or controls and everything else, and is varies between console emulation and is injected into each installed VC game, while something like retroarch has one emulator for any rom you want. VC is equal to having multiple SNES games with one cart inside, retro arch is normally like having retron 5 console, where you can play any game you have a from file for with ease. Save more room and more features.

But since the use of emulation isn't the point of the thread, i said it before, NO ONE IS GONNA PLAY EVERY SINGLE GAME ON THAT CONSOLE. I may be wrong, i seen that twitch streamer speed runner The mexican runner play 700+ Nes games from start to end live, so what do i know. Worthy of a platinum trophy on playstation network. Speaking of that, you know those super hard achievements that take forever to unlock, this is basically one of them, playing every wii u game, is not even about the wii u "games" is just VC games, only featuring 6 consoles, NES, SNES, N64 GBA and NDS, also not every game for each of them is available on vc anyway. Having that many was not intended, regardless of why the limit is placed, the internal storage can't even hold that many with 8GB or 32GB. There is already many more options to preserve classic gaming.

I don't have to repeat this cause many people said so already, perhaps buy multiple USB HDD, also don't expect those to last forever either, they eventually do fall. *Remember how many sd cards lost* :hateit:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,
Reactions: AmandaRose

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
a cupboard with 100 spices
an iPod with 5000 songs
a cabinet with 500 blurays

the point is not to use them all
the point is one morning 7 years from now I could wake up with a feeling to use one particular piece of the collection
I may read something in an article or see something in a youtube video

a lot of people in these very hours are playing for the first time 7-year-old game "Nier" for ps3, because of ps4 title "Nier: Automata". guess hoarding it back in the day worked out well for them.

The wiiU checks a lot of checkboxes to be an almost perfect "videogame jukebox". The wireless controller with the best battery life since the wavebird (the Wii U Pro). Low lag second screen mirroring. Compact, quiet. Native GC and Wii retro gaming. Completely offline once set up with CBHC. Analog video outputs.

I don't know and I don't care if the OP is a whiny entitled pirate hoarder or a completionist with OCD or whatever.

But to always read over and over in this kind of threads people pretending to completely miss why someone would have 100 spices TO PICK FROM in his cupboard, it's kind of annoying...

Last edited by GBA rocks,
Reactions: bostonBC

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
a cupboard with 100 spices
an iPod with 5000 songs
a cabinet with 500 blurays

the point is not to use them all
the point is one morning 7 years from now I could wake up with a feeling to use one particular piece of the collection
I may read something in an article or see something in a youtube video

a lot of people in these very hours are playing for the first time 7-year-old game "Nier" for ps3, because of ps4 title "Nier: Automata". guess hoarding it back in the day worked out well for them.

The wiiU checks a lot of checkboxes to be an almost perfect "videogame jukebox". The wireless controller with the best battery life since the wavebird (the Wii U Pro). Low lag second screen mirroring. Compact, quiet. Native GC and Wii retro gaming. Completely offline once set up with CBHC.

I don't know and I don't care if the OP is a whiny entitled pirate hoarder or a completionist with OCD or whatever.

But to always read over and over in this kind of threads people pretending to completely miss why someone would have 100 spices TO PICK FROM in his cupboard, it's kind of annoying...
But the Wii U is just a smaller cupboard, that can only old 33 1/3 spices, so you have to buy three cupboards to get all 100, the cupboard being a USB drive. It's possible, just requires 3 USB drives. Plus, they can be archived on any HDD forever, and you can install them whenever too. You don't HAVE to have them all installed at once. The internal memory is at most 32GB too, which when he bought it, he must have known that it would only hold a few games on the internal storage, requiring the use of an external USB drive anyway to get more. So if you can get one USB drive, why not three? USB flash drives are dirt cheap these days. I bought a 128 GB one for really cheap recently.

Last edited by brienj,

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
But the Wii U is just a smaller cupboard, that can only old 33 1/3 spices, so you have to buy three cupboards to get all 100, the cupboard being a USB drive. It's possible, just requires 3 USB drives. Plus, they can be archived on any HDD forever, and you can install them whenever too. You don't HAVE to have them all installed at once. The internal memory is at most 32GB too, which when he bought it, he must have known that it would only hold a few games on the internal storage, requiring the use of an external USB drive anyway to get more. So if you can get one USB drive, why not three? USB flash drives are dirt cheap these days. I bought a 128 GB one for really cheap recently.

People were debating the very idea of hoarding more digital games than you can play for preservation purposes.

As for the technical solution, since all VC games are less than 292, my advice to him is a second WiiU dedicated entirely to VC and connected via official Nintendo Component cable to a CRT trinitron. With games being stored on a USB HDD. (HDDs, if they don't break down mechanically, are more probable to be still readable in 15 years than SSDs or cheap flash thumbdrives)

Or yes, a second HDD.

As for installing games "on demand", who knows 7 years from now if it will be a hassle for some reason, technical or not. Better put as many eggs in the basket as possible from the get go.

Reactions: SommenRider

MartU

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not entirely true, I still have a PSP 2000 which I use regularly when I'm not at home using the emulator

The argument of "My kids may play them one day" is.. a little silly.. just get a computer as you have mostly VC games anyway it'll all run, and I'm not saying this to be rude but by the time you have kids I'd assume CEMU will run as great as the ps2 emulators do

Well I got to say, I do not like emulation on PC, just because of the console feeling and easy way a (softmodded) console works. Especially for kids. My 2 year old soon will start to play the WiiU a bit, will not play a PC for many years to come.

Reactions: Shikkichu

BlackZero500

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, now i have a simple question. Why is collecting useless shit like stamps, coins or even cups legit, but if someone collects games its crazy? Answer: its Not. Its exactly as ilogical as collecting any other stuff. I collect games myself. Not as many as op but i too hate to uninstall games. I Do it with ones i only played like one hour in years, but i like to replay games and hate it if I wanna play one and have to search and install it First Cause i deleted it. Dammit i hate even the time that is lost by switching discs. Thats why i buy all my games in eshop, PlayStation store and so on so i can just choose from the dashboard. Hell i even modified my ps2 to play my collection from hdd. And yeah ive got about 900 games on all consoles, handhelds and my PC together and played nearly all of them and completed the majority. I could delete them but why? Cause i may Not play them again? And if I want? And even if I dont all i lose are som tb of virtual space. You dont have to be Bill gates to buy another hdd or two.

TL;DR
All of you who didnt answer the question but felt you have to Post your thread irrelevant nonsense here: if you dont know shit, shut the fuck up.......please. Lets be civilized here ;-)

To topic: would it really Ruin the Order if you used 3 hdd's? Arend they sorted as before when you change back to the previous one? If Not i dont really See how you could Bypass that Limit. I cant even think of a good reason for such a Limit.

Last edited by BlackZero500,
Reactions: bostonBC

GbaFan2017

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you really own all of these games why don't you contact Nintendo's customer support? The answer is likely you don't own all of these games and thats fine. If it bugs you that much learn to hack and spend all the hours required to try and get something to bypass the limit. Based on the feedback already in this thread it doesn't look like you will get much support for someone else to get around this limit.

As someone else pointed out if you have a lot of VC titles there is an easy fix....use an emulator in the homebrew browser to play all of these games instead of having all of them on the main menu.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are like the 5 person I saw ask this including myself
I don't believe there is a patch and I don't think there ever will be and here is why....
I believe this limit is based upon the limits of the wii u hardware, the wii u is a very weak console it has power more equivalent to that of a 7th generation console
so im sorry you have reached this limit and i hope you find a way to combat it

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are like the 5 person I saw ask this including myself
I don't believe there is a patch and I don't think there ever will be and here is why....
I believe this limit is based upon the limits of the wii u hardware, the wii u is a very weak console it has power more equivalent to that of a 7th generation console
so im sorry you have reached this limit and i hope you find a way to combat it

I already posted something like this. :P ur right. it's most likely a stability issue. u can have 300? if u count the default icons which is probably y it's an odd number.

Last edited by godreborn,

RepeatingDigits

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Jesus Christ people, he's asking a question to get a technical answer, not a bunch of dumb useless holier-than-thou replies like "omg you'll never play them all" or "you're hoarding! hoarding is bad mkay? get help!".
If he has the money and wants to do it it's his choice, who gives a crap. Either answer the question or just don't reply.

DrkBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Jesus Christ people, he's asking a question to get a technical answer, not a bunch of dumb useless holier-than-thou replies like "omg you'll never play them all" or "you're hoarding! hoarding is bad mkay? get help!".
If he has the money and wants to do it it's his choice, who gives a crap. Either answer the question or just don't reply.
Jesus Christ.
  1. Reverse-engineer IOS-MCP, the HOME menu, and whatever else comes up as a dependency to try and find where the title limit is implemented.
    • As a prerequisite, you'll need to know and understand both ARM and PowerPC Assembly. You'll also need to pirate IDA, a piece of software that goes for thousands of dollars, to start the process. Don't forget to brush up on the Wii U's hardware.
    • Start reading and searching through the thousands of lines of machine code to find the title check. You may be able to recognize it by the distinctive 292 number (0x124, o444).
    • If you're lucky, it's a software check. If you're unlucky, there's a decent reason behind the limit. If you're mildly lucky, the reason will still be about software. If you're anywhere else on the luckiness spectrum, there's a hardware limitation meaning you can't progress further.
  2. Conceive and write up a patch to work around the check.
    • This, like the rest of the program, would need to be either in ARM or PowerPC Assembly. Watch out for the stack pointer on the PowerPC.
    • The specifics of what such a patch would entail depend on what you found in Step 1. Try reading through some of the patches in iosuhax to get an idea of what might be needed.
    • Keep in mind that you can't test a patch like this - be very thorough and prepare for the leap of faith.
  3. For ARM patches: Add the patch to your CFW of choice. Maybe add loading of kernel.img from the SD while you're there, would make step 4 way easier.
  4. For PowerPC patches (no kernel.img): Write up a HBL application to overwrite the instructions.
    • You'll need to know the exact ins and outs of the kernel exploit, memory addressing, the PowerPC cache system, and the block address translation registers. Most of these are only accessible via Assembly. If it's not kernelmode, you might be able to use COSSubstrate (when I finish writing that up).
    • HID to VPAD may be able to help.
  5. For PowerPC patches (kernel.img): Add the patch to your CFW (modified to load kernel.img, of course).
  6. Take the leap of faith and run all this on your Wii U.
  7. Install more than 292 titles.
    • If it didn't work, restart from Step 1.
    • If it did work, keep following these steps. Do not stop here.
  8. You must now leave your console on. Permanently. You're running a system with too many titles, and rebooting will lose your patches, likely rendering all titles inaccessible. No, you can't use CBHC, since that is also a title.
  9. Enjoy your games, and enjoy the reason Nintendo added a title limit. 292 is a bit weird for anti-piracy, don't you think? Why not 300?

Now, here's a few problems you might face, just off the top of my head.
  • Nintendo uses a proprietary filesystem on both USB and NAND. Nobody has made it known that they have reverse-engineered it. Long story short, we have no idea how it works. There could easily be a limit - number of directories, number of files, maximum size of a single file, maximum number of files/directories in a subdirectory... the list goes on.
  • The HOME menu has to read and process meta and icon data for each title before it can start to render or index them. This might take too long. There might not be enough system memory to hold more than X icons. There might be some shoddy programming involved - a band-aid over a buffer overflow.
  • There might not be enough memory for the MCP module to index and process all these titles. IOSU memory is already tight as it is.
  • If there's only X slots on the HOME menu, having more than X titles would become a problem if the folders get removed.
  • There's almost certainly some catastrophic bug that's been taped over here. It smells like "not my job".
Well, there you go. I hope that answers your question.
They replied with a valid answer @RepeatingDigits

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I forgot about that. If he legally owns the games he should call Nintendo. Those that got the games through hacking have no ground to stand on, but he could at least be able to defend the validity of his problem, and tech support has to do something about that. For all we know it could be enough to get Nintendo to release a patch, or maybe they will show him a bypass of some sort which he can share with us.

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
he could at least be able to defend the validity of his problem, and tech support has to do something about that.
Since the limitation is specified in the electronic manual (section 4, point 5 - Software Icons), it would be up to the customer to either buy fewer than 300 games, or be prepared to manage the games to stay under the limit.

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually only care about having all of the VC games. eShop games, I only get the good ot decent onnes. I really wish you could switch between two or more drives while keeping the folders sorted. How can I go about doing this? So far, I have these folders

NES (2 folders)
SNES
N64
GBA (2 folders)
DS
TG-16
Utilities (For Mii Maker, Wii Mode, Settings, etc.)

Last edited by 03bgood,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually only care about having all of the VC games. eShop games, I only get the good ot decent onnes. I really wish you could switch between two or more drives while keeping the folders sorted. How can I go about doing this? So far, I have these folders

NES (2 folders)
SNES
N64
GBA (2 folders)
DS
TG-16
Utilities (For Mii Maker, Wii Mode, Settings, etc.)

there's an app to sort games, but I think it just does it alphabetically. I've never tried it. I sort mine manually. the sorting will remain even if u unplug the drive if that's what ur asking.

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's an app to sort games, but I think it just does it alphabetically. I've never tried it. I sort mine manually. the sorting will remain even if u unplug the drive if that's what ur asking.
What's it called? I'd like to sort my VC, Wii, Wii U, and eShop games, but with the folders I name them, between 2 or 3 USB devices. Like one has NES, SNES, N64, GBA, and DS VC games, the other has TG-16 and eShop games, and the other has Wii and Wii U games.

Last edited by 03bgood,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo