ROM Hack Any tips from translators?

Kazetsukai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
We never really realised exactly how tricky it would be to translate until we started. We are finding stuff like 'yoroshiku' very difficult, we can't come up with an equivalent social convention in english.

And then the game threw 'futsutsukamono desu ga' at us... our reaction was identical to our translation.
t4.jpg
I guess the idea would be to just change the scene around in a way to keep the feel and the important content while changing the cultural side of things.
The game has voiced sections so it would be nice for it not to be too different from the original Japanese.
Does anyone have advice for dealing with these kinds of phrases?

pitman

Addicted to Magical Girls
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Its awesome that you are translating this, good luck with that ! (screen looks good
yaynds.gif
).
Sadly I can't help you I have almost 0 knowledge in japanese (probably on a weaboo level
laugh.gif
).

I tried playing it but only got into 3 battles (and 3 party members) and didn't want to continue (and this game has tons of text).
When you say "we" do you have several people working on it ?

Kazetsukai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Just me and a friend. Both programmers, both interested in Japanese. I would say we are pretty set on completing the translation, but in about 4 months I will probably be leaving this town so it comes down to whether we can build up enough momentum by then to continue together online.

Haha, there is a lot of text. You are further through the game than I have been so far XD
Ah well, I will at least make the promise that if we do end up stopping the project, we will make all of the work we have done available to others.

chexxor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it were me, I don't try to do a literal translation. I imagine the tone of voice that it would be said in, and then think of the idea/feeling/emotion that is trying to be communicated and try to find something similar in English. Of course, if you haven't lived in Japan or have a lot of experience with Japanese, that would be a tall order, yeah? If that is the case, then all you can do is translate the best you can, then have other people review it for you. 頑張って!

N-TG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
Well, this game is a great one. And a first for cosplays
tongue.gif

If you try to do a translation I can say that the first thing is a menu translation. It will help a lot for non-japanese to play it and if somebody who can help sees that u can work maybe he will help u.

Because a lot of pl say that they will translate a game and stop at the first week or even the first days.

I suggest making a costume name + effects, objectives, names etc etc. Everybit here and there to translate it and leave the story for last. If you can, translate random lines that they are easy but still don't make that your main objective and since a lot of players play some games without even caring for the story it will make the game more popular in here and somebody who can help you will.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
My knowledge of Japanese is pretty small but doesn't yoroshiku just translate literally to "please take care of me"? I guess a way to make it work in English is "Nice to meet you" since it's usually something you say to someone meeting them the first time.

Theawesomeo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think you should translate the meaning behind the words. Words are pointless if they don't hold any meaning. Translating isn't going to be easy and there are many Japanese phrases you can't replicate in English without having a paragraph of translation notes. I wouldn't recommend you obsess for days over a few phrases. There is not way you can perfectly translate something from one language to another but you should try to get as close to the original meaning as possible. Good luck on your translation.

azerty1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
you should probably ask manga translators or anime subbers for tips on jap--> eng trnaslations. they're more likely to be able to provide some actual tips.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: And that game stick i'm tired of mentioning