Any tips from translators?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Kazetsukai, Aug 25, 2009.

Aug 25, 2009

Any tips from translators? by Kazetsukai at 3:53 AM (1,103 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Kazetsukai
    OP

Newcomer Kazetsukai Member

New Zealand
    We never really realised exactly how tricky it would be to translate until we started. We are finding stuff like 'yoroshiku' very difficult, we can't come up with an equivalent social convention in english.

And then the game threw 'futsutsukamono desu ga' at us... our reaction was identical to our translation.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    I guess the idea would be to just change the scene around in a way to keep the feel and the important content while changing the cultural side of things.
    The game has voiced sections so it would be nice for it not to be too different from the original Japanese.
    Does anyone have advice for dealing with these kinds of phrases?

2. pitman

Member pitman Addicted to Magical Girls

Israel
    Its awesome that you are translating this, good luck with that ! (screen looks good [​IMG] ).
    Sadly I can't help you I have almost 0 knowledge in japanese (probably on a weaboo level [​IMG] ).

I tried playing it but only got into 3 battles (and 3 party members) and didn't want to continue (and this game has tons of text).
    When you say "we" do you have several people working on it ?

3. Kazetsukai
    OP

Newcomer Kazetsukai Member

New Zealand
    Just me and a friend. Both programmers, both interested in Japanese. I would say we are pretty set on completing the translation, but in about 4 months I will probably be leaving this town so it comes down to whether we can build up enough momentum by then to continue together online.

Haha, there is a lot of text. You are further through the game than I have been so far XD
    Ah well, I will at least make the promise that if we do end up stopping the project, we will make all of the work we have done available to others.

4. chexxor

Newcomer chexxor Member

United States
    If it were me, I don't try to do a literal translation. I imagine the tone of voice that it would be said in, and then think of the idea/feeling/emotion that is trying to be communicated and try to find something similar in English. Of course, if you haven't lived in Japan or have a lot of experience with Japanese, that would be a tall order, yeah? If that is the case, then all you can do is translate the best you can, then have other people review it for you. 頑張って!

5. N-TG

Member N-TG GBAtemp Fan

Greece
    Well, this game is a great one. And a first for cosplays [​IMG]
    If you try to do a translation I can say that the first thing is a menu translation. It will help a lot for non-japanese to play it and if somebody who can help sees that u can work maybe he will help u.

Because a lot of pl say that they will translate a game and stop at the first week or even the first days.

I suggest making a costume name + effects, objectives, names etc etc. Everybit here and there to translate it and leave the story for last. If you can, translate random lines that they are easy but still don't make that your main objective and since a lot of players play some games without even caring for the story it will make the game more popular in here and somebody who can help you will.

6. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    My knowledge of Japanese is pretty small but doesn't yoroshiku just translate literally to "please take care of me"? I guess a way to make it work in English is "Nice to meet you" since it's usually something you say to someone meeting them the first time.

7. Theawesomeo

Newcomer Theawesomeo Newbie

Australia
    I think you should translate the meaning behind the words. Words are pointless if they don't hold any meaning. Translating isn't going to be easy and there are many Japanese phrases you can't replicate in English without having a paragraph of translation notes. I wouldn't recommend you obsess for days over a few phrases. There is not way you can perfectly translate something from one language to another but you should try to get as close to the original meaning as possible. Good luck on your translation.

8. azerty1

Member azerty1 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    you should probably ask manga translators or anime subbers for tips on jap--> eng trnaslations. they're more likely to be able to provide some actual tips.