ROM Hack ANOTHER DragonBall Kai Ultimate Butouden Translation

pokeblade Z

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When you finish the whole Translation if u are since your going to replace the F word from Raditz attack moves can you make a separate rom file that will have the F word in it? and for any other words that your going to replace?
yay.gif
can you reply

SABERinBLUE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Kosheh, could I ask you a favor? Could you change "Tien" to "Tenshinhan" in the patch? Just a personal preference on my part, but I do believe it's the preferred transliteration of most fans of the original.

SylentEcho said:
Hey SABERinBLUE, your post there really points out the difference between the personalities the dub gave us and their true personalities. I'm putting that up on my blog crediting you. Can you do Freeza and a few others too?

Cool, where's your blog at?

Heh yeah, in truth I kind of like what they did with Piccolo in the dub in a way, I mean, I certainly like the japanese version of the character better, but given that they started with DBZ that really wasn't an unreasonable direction to go. It's not inconsistent with the tone and flavor of the Dragonball universe for there to be a green dude with pointed ears who hangs out in the wilderness for no reason who doesn't much care for other people, even without the backstory of the character. I grew up on the American broadcast version of the show, and while I've now seen the original, my only REAL problems with the dub are the smaller dialogue changes that at best water down what characters are saying and at worst make us miss out of fundamental character moments. Piccolo's speech to Dr. Gero comes to mind, as does my personal go-to comparison involving Vegeta.

When Vegeta shows up to help fight the Androids and reveals he's attained SSJ, Krillin expresses bewilderment at how he could have done it since he's so different from Goku. This is handled very differently in the two versions.

Dub: Krillin calls attention to how pure and calm Goku was when he transformed (I don't really know why since Goku was anything BUT calm). Vegeta just talks about how he wanted to be SSJ so badly that in the end he got what he wanted.

Original: Krillin says something to the effect of "Goku was pure of heart and mind when he became SSJ, and you're not pure at all!" Vegeta sneers and counters with something like "Goku was pure in his simpering goodness, yes, but I was pure as well: pure evil."

See, the original really gives us a more complete picture of what the Saiyans are and honestly it makes a lot more sense that such a warlike race's ascended form can be triggered by EVIL as well as good. The dub just confuses the issue because simply WANTING to be SSJ was specifically what wasn't working for Vegeta. It took a mind battered into zen-like purity of hatred and rage by months of torturous and brutal training and a transcendant survival instinct for him to ascend.

All that said, I maintain a healthy fondness for the dub since it's so nostalgic for me. And HFIL? Seriously? It's stupid they couldn't say Hell, sure, but that's a BRILLIANT edit in its simplicity. Just apply white-out to the signage in the underworld and change the dialogue. Genius. Oh, and the dub music is FANTASTIC. And now,

BECAUSE YOU DEMANDED IT,

FRIEZA

-Is Powerful

The Frieza Saga was originally meant to be the end of the manga, and it's still my second-favorite fight in the show. As I understand it, King Cold, Frieza's father, wasn't invented until after Toriyama knew the manga would be continuing, and even if you INCLUDE Cell and Buu, they're not active at this time, so Frieza was, as written, the ultimate power in the universe until Goku went SSJ after Frieza pushed him too far.

-Is Cold-Blooded

I'm not entirely sure if Frieza's race is meant to be reptilian or not, but there is obviously a "cold" motif at play with the names of all three characters of his race. While the Saiyans are hot-blooded and full of fury, Frieza is the ultimate contrast in viciousness: He's already won. He's already the most powerful being in the universe. He's already got the finest warriors of the universe COMPLETELY under his heel. He doesn't NEED to be angry, he just needs to sit and watch and ENJOY as everyone does EXACTLY the fuck what he says. When someone defies him, it's just one of the simple pleasures of life for him to extend the TINIEST FRACTION of his might and crush the offender utterly. The sequence where he brutalizes and savages Vegeta's entire body before killing him is probably the most chilling part of the entire series, mostly because while it's not romanticizing the violence at all, Frieza is simply smiling the entire time, wider and wider with each bone that breaks.

-Is Completely And Utterly Arrogant

Frieza is more arrogant than Vegeta. That means he has a much longer way to fall when someone puts him in his place. Even when he still has Goku completely outmatched, when Goku manages to actually cause him pain, he flies into a frightening rage. And then, when Goku overtakes him with SSJ and he's suddenly faced with entirely new emotions like fear and desperation, he has no idea how to process things and regresses to utterly child-like behavior.

-Is Despicable

Frieza is probably the "worst" of the villains in DBZ. Let me explain: It would be difficult to argue that people like Piccolo Daimaou and Buu aren't more EVIL than Frieza, since they're both incarnations of the entire concept of evil. Also, there are other villains that are STRONGER than Frieza. However, Frieza is the only character that sinks to the depths he does while having no EXCUSE for it. The Androids and Cell were programmed to kill. Buu isn't even really a person, he's a demon, an idea, and the only real intellect he has is that he absorbs from other people; in his purest form he's completely mindless. Frieza is just despicable. He is completely without honor, completely without compassion of any kind, and he casually destroys worlds for fun, or because someone looked at him wrong. And it's not just genocide, he relishes causing pain on a personal scale as well; he tortures people, kills people they love in front of them, and enslaves them. Just to be a dick.

KRILLIN

-Likes the Ladies

When Goku and Krillin found themselves training together under Kamesennin, Krillin found in Kamesennin a kindred spirit. While not nearly as "dirty" as Muten Roshi, he is by no means "pure of heart", and is frequently Roshi's partner in, well, not CRIME as such, but they do tend to share magazines a lot.

-Is Brave and Loyal

As the "sidekick" character of a good deal of the series, Krillin can't possibly be as strong as Goku. They're rivals at first, yes, but Goku quickly outpaces Krillin both in fighting skill and heroism. Krillin starts out somewhat cowardly, but his loyalty to his friends, and especially to Goku, causes him to fight even when he is horribly outmatched if there is any chance at ALL that he can make a difference. Even in the Cell Saga, when he is so insignificant power-wise that he might as well be an insect, he sneaks onto the battlefield for the defining moment of his character:

-Loves #18

When Bulma figures out a way to destroy #17 and #18 so Cell can't use them to reach his ultimate form, Krillin undertakes the role of getting close enough to pull the trigger. However, even building off of his first horrifying encounter with the Android twins, he is smitten with #18, and is forced to choose between definitely saving the universe from Cell's ultimate form or definitely killing someone who is, in all honesty, fairly innocent. Goku's influence is certainly present in him, but he makes the decision entirely himself to say fuck it and damn the world if he must, but he won't kill #18. And good for him, because he totally taps that later.

TENSHINHAN

-Is Kind of a Dick

Now, this is a case where it's not that the dub changed anything, but the original Dragonball anime changed things a little bit. In the anime, an episode was added to introduce Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu which had them conning villages of unsuspecting people for money, faking an external threat so they could pretend to defeat the threat and save the village. This really wasn't necessary and makes them look like total assholes. In the original manga, they're really basically just like the students of the rival school in The Karate Kid, taught by a heartless and ruthless master (Tsurusennin) that power is everything. After fighting dirty and causing unecessary injuries at the Tenkaichi Budokai, he realizes, through the actions and words of Goku and Kamesennin, that his master is wrong, and he lightens up, and is even reluctant to accept a victory over Goku in the finals that was due to luck.

-Has Some Unbelievable Balls

Tenshinhan's ultimate attack, the Kikohou, is actually pretty dangerous to use as it drains the life force of the user. After (well, even during) the Saiyan Saga he's pretty well outclassed by the villains of the series, even declining to face the Androids at all to no dishonor because it would just be a complete joke for him to try to match their power. However, during the Cell Saga, he shoots onto the battlefield in a complete and total batshit insane move, blinds Cell with the Taiyoken, and then proceeds to REPEATEDLY blast Cell with the Kikohou, almost killing himself in a desperate attempt to prevent Cell from attaining perfection. Fucking brass balls. I love this guy.

CHIAOTZU

chaotzu.png

nappa.jpg

"Look, Vegeta, a Pokemon!"

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheHunted1 said:
machomuu said:
SABERinBLUE said:
rofl.gif

We'll miss you, Nappa (even though he haunts Vegeta now).

When Nappa came back in GT, he should have became a ssj and he and vegeta should have had a proper fight instead of 1 kiblast kill >_>
GT? Those are the Devil's letters.

TheHunted1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
machomuu said:
TheHunted1 said:
machomuu said:
SABERinBLUE said:
rofl.gif

When Nappa came back in GT, he should have became a ssj and he and vegeta should have had a proper fight instead of 1 kiblast kill >_>

It may be bad compared to the other two, but still it was good and I liked it. Better than allot of animes nowadays.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheHunted1 said:
machomuu said:
TheHunted1 said:
machomuu said:
SABERinBLUE said:
rofl.gif

It may be bad compared to the other two, but still it was good and I liked it. Better than allot of animes nowadays.
Are you kidding, EVERY DB/DBZ fan watched it all the way to the end. It wasn't nearly as good as the prequels (as it wasn't created by Akira Toriyama), but it wasn't terrible either...that said, if Toriyama had made it, it would have been a masterpiece (and canon).

Sorry to get off-topic, Kosheh
tongue.gif

TheHunted1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
machomuu said:
TheHunted1 said:
machomuu said:
TheHunted1 said:
machomuu said:
SABERinBLUE said:
rofl.gif

Are you kidding, EVERY DB/DBZ fan watched it all the way to the end. It wasn't nearly as good as the prequels (as it wasn't created by Akira Toriyama), but it wasn't terrible either...that said, if Toriyama had made it, it would have been a masterpiece (and canon).

Sorry to get off-topic, Kosheh
tongue.gif

it would be another epic movie if Toriyama made it
tongue.gif

And yea sorry kosheh, couldnt resist myself, I just love DB
biggrin.gif

SABERinBLUE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind GT and it had some moments, but I vastly prefer Dragonball Multiverse as an unofficial continuation of the story. I mean, it's JUST fights. That's ALL. It's WHAT-IF DREAM MATCHES. It's FANTASTIC. Oh, and they make Pan Goku's heir. She dresses like he did at the beginning of the series and carries the Nyoi-bo.

Keram

Newcomer
Trophies
In the wetter and more windy parts of Germany
XP
Country
Gambia, The
sinnoh62 said:
Sorry if this is a noobish question but
-I didn't feel like reading 17 pages-

Can i have a clean patch?
You know, instead of directly going to the last page and saying you are too lazy to look up anything, you might have at least read the opening post of Kosheh that holds all the information you need, especiall a BIG, FAT, DOWNLOADLINK.
tongue.gif

alexg1989

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell yeah, that scene in the Cell Saga when Tien was blasting Cell into the ground with that move is one of my favorite DBZ moments... it's freakin epic and I think of that episode whenever I do that move in one of the Tenkaichi games...

haaa. Dragon Ball Multiverse eh??? never heard of it... sounds interesting... will check it out...

Dann Woolf

Deadpan Snarker
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Again, kosheh, if you need info about the characters, take a look at this. It's the Dragon Ball Wiki.

Also, you might actually want to, you know, watch Dragon Ball Kai.

SylentEcho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
saberinblue said:
Dub: Krillin calls attention to how pure and calm Goku was when he transformed (I don't really know why since Goku was anything BUT calm). Vegeta just talks about how he wanted to be SSJ so badly that in the end he got what he wanted.

Original: Krillin says something to the effect of "Goku was pure of heart and mind when he became SSJ, and you're not pure at all!" Vegeta sneers and counters with something like "Goku was pure in his simpering goodness, yes, but I was pure as well: pure evil."
Yeah, this and Goku's Superman speech to Freeza was also so abysmally handled. "I am the light in the darkness, I am truth." etc. I grew up watching the Ocean dub, disliked the Funi dub although I thought the music was cool. I've shared my views on my website about the 3 different dubs. My website is www.sylentecho.webs.com

Hey, you forgot about the fact that Freeza has a lot of patience and is always polite and suave in the Japanese version. Could you add your views on that too to your post? Since that entire article on my website is yours, I wouldn't like to add anything of my own to it.

Oh, and btw, I love Multiverse and Abridged.
biggrin.gif

N-TG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
That's why I prefer the original dragonball.

Amerika either made dubs changing stuff or removing scenes.

I remember that Vegeta said that the Inventor of the light ball that makes the Saiyans to Oozarus is created by Bardok. Goku's Father. In fact it's not!

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SylentEcho said:
saberinblue said:

Yeah, this and Goku's Superman speech to Freeza was also so abysmally handled. "I am the light in the darkness, I am truth." etc. I grew up watching the Ocean dub, disliked the Funi dub although I thought the music was cool. I've shared my views on my website about the 3 different dubs. My website is www.sylentecho.webs.com

Hey, you forgot about the fact that Freeza has a lot of patience and is always polite and suave in the Japanese version. Could you add your views on that too to your post? Since that entire article on my website is yours, I wouldn't like to add anything of my own to it.

Oh, and btw, I love Multiverse and Abridged.
biggrin.gif
Wait...in the Ocean Dub he said he became an SSJ because he wanted it really badly?
rofl.gif

Of course, I grew up with the first 3 seasons of Ocean and the rest Funi (IMO, Sean Schemmel is the best Goku out of any dub and the original, and Brian Dummond from Ocean was amazing as well, especially in the third season, though Cristopher Sabat is awesome as well). Funi pretty much said the same as the original when Vegeta became SSJ.

I still have tapes of when Ocean Dub was still aired in my area (As well as the Ocean version of The Tree of Might, still haven't seen the Funi version).

SABERinBLUE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Wait...in the Ocean Dub he said he became an SSJ because he wanted it really badly?
rofl.gif

Well, Funimation, but yes.

At least I assume it's Funimation. It's whatever the Tri-Audio (Dub with english music. dub with japanese music. original) releases from Anime-Fanrips were.

Oh and Sylent, I won't mind if you edit that about Frieza into the thing on your site (As a paranthetical "Editor's Note" if that makes you feel better) but I think the politeness is kind of contained in my point about him being cold-blooded. He's so completely in control that he loses nothing by being polite.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work