Anime - Help me out!

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I only watch dubs because i think you get more connection to the characters and plot if they're speaking your language so i can't comment on the Japanese audio of the following but the English versions are rank as some of my favourites that i think you may like. Contrary to you i didn't think much of Elfen Lied...try these (although i have a hard time grasping Japanese classifications of anime so if i hit a shonen anime i've no idea that i did so) I won't rescan this entire topic but i'd say you've definitely been recommended some of these already...

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimya is probably my favourite anime probably because of the characters themselves. I even loved the "difficult" sequence in season 2.
Planetes is another great tale with fantastic characterisations
Baccano - somewhat difficult to get your head around because it's nonlinear but it's a fantastic set of plots and characters
Durarara - same as Baccano but more straightforward. Kari Wahlgren's acting in this really sold me on the emotional tie, especially the final monologue.
Beck Mongolian Chop Squad - best music anime out there
Great Teacher Onizuka - this is one of those weird anime's where you start off unimpressed with it but after a few episodes (i think it was number 9 with me) you realise that it's actually brilliant. The characters really come to life. If you watched the dub of Bebop then the same guy voices Onizuka in this (Steve Blum)...no idea if that's true of the Japanese va (probably not)

More "actiony"
Ga Rei Zero - Kind of dark and pretty fast paced
Corpse Princess - sort of like the above but longer
Canaan - i really liked this but you might like it less. It's better than Elfen Lied though.
Black Lagoon - ditto the above. Revy is awesome though.
Birdy the Mighty Decode - another i really loved although it seems more hit and miss. It's a nice blend of sci-fi with slice of life

and on a limb (since this is a gaming forum) The Aegis of Druaga and the Sword of Druaga. An anime based loosely on the videogame but it plays fast and loose with it. The first episode is golden so if you hate that maybe this isn't for you.

Ah I've been meaning to see Haruhi actually.. And Planetes and Baccano :D Thanks for the other suggestions.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I see you updated your first post.
what to watch next depends on your mood :P

You could start by watching the movies instead of the series, that way you'll see more different things.

I will add another movie I watched, I think I didn't suggested it to you yet :
Welcome to the space show : children who visits space after encountering an alien.

(I think one part of the movie is based on "Night on the Galactic Railroad" story from Kenji Miyazawa, that book/story is often mentioned in anime)

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I see you updated your first post.
what to watch next depends on your mood :P

You could start by watching the movies instead of the series, that way you'll see more different things.

I will add another movie I watched, I think I didn't suggested it to you yet :
Welcome to the space show : children who visits space after encountering an alien.

(I think one part of the movie is based on "Night on the Galactic Railroad" story from Kenji Miyazawa, that book/story is often mentioned in anime)

Since then I've seen both series of Haruhi, but not the film. I really enjoyed it (I'm finding that I love most KyoAni stuff) but the endless eight was a real drag.
I've caught up on some currently airing stuff such as Henneko and SnK, along with Aku no Hana. I'm enjoying all 3, despite thinking SnK wouldn't really be for me. The pacing has gone a little off in the later episodes, though.
Saw AnoHana, cried. I'm now waiting for the upcoming film.
Started watching Great Teacher Onizuka, only a few episodes in but I already enjoy it a lot.

As for films I've started watching some of Makoto Shinkai's stuff. So far I've seen Voices of a Distant Star, 5 Centimeters Per Second and The Garden of Worlds. I loved all 3 of them, they're definitely my type of films. My favourite non-anime films are usually ones that aren't based around the narrative, and more on atmosphere, emotions, and a select few characters and how they interact with one another - so I really enjoyed these 3. The latter 2 were visually stunning to boot. My friends struggled to enjoy them but I think they're used to, and were expecting throughout the whole thing, films being primarily a storytelling medium (thanks, Hollywood!). I'm probably going to watch one or two more of his films then move onto The Girl who Leapt Through Time, the Haruhi movie and of course your earlier suggestion of Welcome to the Space Show (unless you have any other film suggestions, based off that?)

Edit: OH SHIT. And Serial Experiments Lain. I don't really know how to write down how I felt about it, but it was pretty amazing.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is

* Toradora!
* Oreimo
* Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
* A Certain Magical Index and its spinoff, A Certain Scientific Railgun
* Shakugan no Shana

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since then I've seen both series of Haruhi, but not the film. I really enjoyed it (I'm finding that I love most KyoAni stuff) but the endless eight was a real drag.
You really should watch the Haruhi movie. I really enjoyed it, probably even more than the series itself.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm glad you are still enjoying watching new anime, being series or movies.
you seems to like a lot of different things, it's good to be open minded.

I didn't know there will be a movie for Ano Hana.
I'll have to check what's new, I didn't follow releases for past six months.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm glad you are still enjoying watching new anime, being series or movies.
you seems to like a lot of different things, it's good to be open minded.

I didn't know there will be a movie for Ano Hana.
I'll have to check what's new, I didn't follow releases for past six months.

Yeah, it's basically the story re-told from Menma's point of view. Comes out Aug. 31st, and hopefully it will actually show another side to everything rather than be just a recap :D

You really should watch the Haruhi movie. I really enjoyed it, probably even more than the series itself.
I plan to, probably tomorrow!!

Camplord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
I just finnished watching Angel Beats, it was F***ing awesome.
I am about to watch Clannad the After Story, im all set to get depressed i know.
I was wondering was there anything similar to Angel Beats? With the awesome opening intro aswell :P.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum