1. 4,950

Front-page

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is almost here, and there's so much to the game that hasn't yet been revealed yet. Today's Animal Crossing Direct aims to give us a few new details as to what to expect when the game launches next month. Let's see what the Direct reveals!

• Just like previous games, there are differences within your town throughout each season.
    • You can pick where your animals live now.
    • You'll be able to create custom designs on your furniture.
    • There's an airport, where you'll be able to visit other friends' islands online.
    • Nook Miles are earned from completing objectives, where you can redeem them for special items.
    • Gulliver will show up on the coast again on occasion.
    • You'll be able to upgrade your tent into a house, and the house decorating options from Happy Home Designer are back.
    • There's mystery island tours that'll take you to new islands with all sorts of exotic items you can bring home.
    • A new mobile app called NookLink will be released where you can use QR codes to share custom art designs.
    • You can build the Museum, Town Hall, and shops from the previous games.
    • Isabelle will help out in the Town Hall, where you can pick where to place your facilities.
    • Nintendo will be offering patches that add new seasonal events throughout the year.
    • You can build bridges and stairs to help you get around your town easier. You can even add land, or dig out chunks you don't like, to really customize your town to your liking.
    • You'll be able to have 8 different houses on one save.
    • Amiibo and amiibo cards are supported.
    • Photopia allows you to pose your favorite villagers in cute photos.
    • You can't use axes or shovels in other people's towns...unless you're marked as a "best friend".
    • Nintendo won't allow the use of cloud saves, but there will be a special save recovery service for those who might unfortunately lose their save file.
    • The game will have a launch day update that'll add an Easter event.
    • You'll get special items if you play the mobile game Animal Crossing Pocket Camp.

2. Discussion (37 replies)

3. DJPlace

DJPlace the hater of something i can't recall.

United States
    amiibo's still a thing?

also that's cool if you make random friends online you can't use axe's or shovel's to mess them up unless you allow it. about time nintendo about time

Last edited by DJPlace, Feb 20, 2020
  4. chartube12

chartube12 Captain Chaz 86

United States
    New Horizons = new leaf 2.0 with quality of life improvements. Confirmed by the direct it self.

5. smileyhead

smileyhead This is definitely not a robotic component!

Hungary
    Oh my God I can't wait, this game already looks amazing.

6. EmanueleBGN

EmanueleBGN GBAtemp Maniac

Italy
    At the beginning there aren't all the animals nor the buildings...
    Events must be periodically downloaded...
    oh, wow...

MarkDarkness likes this.
  7. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Sweden
    "Nintendo won't allow the use of cloud saves, but there will be a special save recovery service for those who might unfortunately lose their save file." This is just so confusing. Why won't it work with cloud saves?

8. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

Chile
    is their way to hide dlc and make it acceptable.
    amiibos are basically dlc in physical form.

DrHouse1337 likes this.
  9. altorn

altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Charge $20 a year and don't allow cloud saves on your biggest games!

10. PokeNev

PokeNev GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I feel like on the switch Nintendo is getting more cocky and is becoming less and less consumer friendly. I think Doug Bowser has SOMETHING to do with it. Every since the “switch” between Reggie and Doug Nintendo has been becoming, slowly, less consumer friendly.

Der_Blockbuster likes this.
  11. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    Can't care less tbh.
    I'm better up expanding my factory in Factorio than adjusting an island in AC. :D
    But I'm glad for those who are hyped for this.

SuinkaiVS likes this.
  12. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    Given the nature of the game it makes sense, in a way.
    Cloud saves would allow to exploit the game. Giving items alway, then restoring the save backup for example.

In this exclusive case, I fully support that choice.

13. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Gambia, The
    Nothing makes me want to throw up like Animal Crossing. :blush:

Jayro likes this.
  14. jt_1258

jt_1258 Human?

United States
    I can pick where there houses are now, rearrange the land, and place fences...time to make a pit and fence in the animal exhibit XD

Though I do wonder how tall the island can be. There has to be some sort of build height limit unless it's just as high as you can get to. Living at a mountain peak would be pretty dam rad.

15. sonicvssilver22

sonicvssilver22 You're myself, I'm yourself

United States
    Woo, I can pick where my villager's houses are! No more unwanted neighbors near my house or people moving their houses on top of a bunch of stuff I planted

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  16. banjo2

banjo2 little man

United States
    I don't care for most of this stuff, but having full control of where houses are and the landscape, along with choosing the island layout and customizing your character is really cool, I guess I don't have to use a save editor for those things this time.

I kinda fell out of Animal Crossing, I may like this one.

17. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Awesome, this is now out of the way and we can focus on a normal more general direct, thanks.

18. limpbiz411

limpbiz411 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    what do they mean that not everything is available immediately? what if i play offline only? how will this affect me?

19. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    That is actually some rather decent use of the phone app for once, scanning QR codes and allowing us to quickly type in messages. Obviously voice chat being relegated to the app is still dumb, but this is an instance where I'd say the phone app has a good reason to exist.

banjo2 likes this.
  20. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    Great Direct all around - pretty much everything fans asked for is presented here, from improved customization to all sorts of QoL features. Congrats on Nintendo for nailing that one!

Update the game in spare time, play offline later. Pretty much how it works with every Switch game.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Recovery service was mentioned, though. From what I understand, you won't be able to cheese the game with cloud saves, but you'll be able to retrieve them if your console gets legitimately stolen or broken. Sounds like a decent compromise, if you ask me.

Last edited by Pipistrele, Feb 20, 2020
    banjo2 likes this.
  21. jt_1258

jt_1258 Human?

United States
    I am not saying it is for sure your situation but am just making a point if it is the case and for those who have it as there situation.
    If it's because you are pirating it and can't go online then Nintendo's got ya hook line and sinker. It's free but requires something that could rat out the pirates/home brewers, going online.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - customization, Crossing, roundup