Monster-collector RPG 'Cassette Beasts' gets release date

cassette beasts.jpg

Indie developer Bytten Studio’s retro-styled monster-collector RPG Cassette Beasts has been given a release date today. A brand-new trailer was aired for the occasion:

Cassette Beasts puts a unique spin on monster-collector RPG adventures. On the remote island of New Wirral, people can use cassette tapes to transform into strange creatures and battle. You’ll need to explore the island and record a menagerie of mighty monsters to your trusty cassette tapes to gain their abilities and find a way home!

Discover over 100 awesome monsters to collect and transform into during turn-based battles. You can even combine two creatures together to make powerful new forms with shared elemental types, stats, and move sets using Cassette Beasts’ Fusion System! Some of your opponents have this ability, too, so you’ll need to get creative to win.

Features of Cassette Beasts include:
  • Transform into Monsters…with Cassette Tapes?! Faced with the constant threat of monster attack, the residents of Harbourtown can fight fire with fire. Record a variety of special creatures, then play them back in battle to take on their forms!
  • Fuse Monsters Together: Merge with your companions’ monsters to transform into unique, fully animated fusions combining the strengths of both forms! There are thousands of creature-fusion combos to experiment with and discover.
  • Explore a Rich Open World: Some monster abilities can be used in human form, which you'll need to get around, solve puzzles, and more. Glide, fly, swim, climb, dash or turn magnetic in a colorful land brought to life with beautifully crafted monsters, ‘80s vibes and a synthy soundtrack!
  • Master a Deep Battle System: Use elemental chemistry to apply advantageous buffs or debuffs with your attacks, or even alter your opponent’s elemental type.
  • Travel with a Diverse Cast of Companions: Never fight alone! Forge bonds with your partners and help them complete personal goals to become a better team. The strength of your relationship determines how well you’re able to fuse!
  • Play Couch Co-op with Friends: Team up in local multiplayer for up to two players. Explore the open world, transform and battle together as a duo!
Cassette Beasts will launch on PC (Steam, the Microsoft Store and PC Game Pass) this April 26. A Nintendo Switch, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and Xbox Game Pass launch is planned for later this spring.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The amount of pokeinspired games coming out is so huge that it's just a matter of time until one or some of those became mainstream. Maybe this is the one.
Pokémon is the biggest franchise on earth.
As much as I'd like to, but to get another game, or rather franchise, to take its spot, you'd need to wipe out everyone's memories and then the Pokémon Company.

Ducolamia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to stress that just because a new monster-taming game comes out doesn't mean it's a Pokemon clone. LOL
Pokemon is multimedia franchise. Of course, people are going to take some inspiration from it. It's a part of pop culture. Most people have played a Pokemon game in form, but it doesn't mean other monster tamers don't exist outside of that.
Turn-based monster-taming RPGs aren't really given a lot of spotlight because of that stigma, even when they're really good and unique.

...But I digress!
As someone who's play other indie Monster-Tamers like the Nexomon series, Coromon, etc., I welcome this new edition. The demo was surprisingly stable and I think the game has a lot of potential. A bit surprised it's coming out so soon, but if the demo gave any indication, they were probably already well into development. Hopefully things pan out for the best

Reactions: Garro

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pokemon has the mostly unbreakable advantage that stuff like Superman has bc they're the first one to do it pretty well. Being there first is huge and most pokemon clones fall to the wayside because people go back to what they know after a while. Pokemon will never be killed off, but other stuff can sit alongside it if they're good enough. Digimon was pretty popular back in the day, there just needs to be a monster collecting game that fills a different niche like fossil fighters or bakugan or something

Reactions: x65943

NumberXIIIEdwin

Jack In! MegaMan, Execute!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don’t know what’s up with me, but honestly none of the designs in any of these new monster collecting type games ever really captured me. I feel kinda bad cause I know people worked really hard on them, but they just don’t click with me. Same thing happened to me with Temtem. I can admit it’s probably me being biased towards Pokémon.

Reactions: orangy57

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
it looks unique
I don’t know what’s up with me, but honestly none of the designs in any of these new monster collecting type games ever really captured me. I feel kinda bad cause I know people worked really hard on them, but they just don’t click with me. Same thing happened to me with Temtem. I can admit it’s probably me being biased towards Pokémon.

the probelm is pokemon has dug in to our minds so much. any clones or even new gen of pokemon just feels wrong.

Reactions: NumberXIIIEdwin

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Pokémon is the biggest franchise on earth.
As much as I'd like to, but to get another game, or rather franchise, to take its spot, you'd need to wipe out everyone's memories and then the Pokémon Company.
I do agree with you. Nothing will take pokemon's throne so soon. What I believe is that with that number of games coming out, eventually one will be big, and maybe will have a chance to have this continuity thing that is so great on pokemon (to take your monster collection to future games is fucking AWESOME and in my mind is the secret of pokemon success).

Gozaburo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
Every second pokeclone which came out in the last years is better than the new original ones. The only exception is PLA.
Hopefully this one is going to good as well.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Not even worth discussing whether any Pokemon-like can compete on sales/revenue, but one-upping modern Pokemon in terms of gameplay is exceedingly simple. Just needs any sort of actual difficulty curve to grab a niche audience.

Reactions: x65943

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dang, a ton of Pokeclones have been coming out lately
What was that other one that was announced a while ago that got everyone excited? All I can remember is that the graphics were particularly realistic. (Because of course graphics are all you need, amirite?)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over