Analyst Attack! What they think about the WiiU

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Opinions of the games industry's top analysts appear to be divided when it comes to Nintendo's latest hardware offering, Wii U.

Piers Harding-Rolls from Screen Digest said the console is a "compelling proposition" and has "strong potential to innovate".

Doug Creutz from Cowen and Company acknowledged Wii U's "promise" but questioned the machine's power. "I'm not sure how revolutionary it will be," he said. According to Creutz, Wii U is "on a par" with PS3 and Xbox 360 rather than "a step up".

Wedbush Morgan's Michael Pachter applauded the "smart" blend of tablet and console, saying it will be "hard" for others to copy the design. "Nintendo will have a head start for a while," he said, "and it will be interesting to see if they can exploit it."

Jesse Divnich from EEDAR lauded Wii U as "a very original and unique system and a perfect transition for consumers from the Wii". Nintendo shares might have fallen "substantially" after the Wii U announcement, said Divnich, but: "I believe investors are going to get this wrong".

All four analysts have concerns, however. Divnich "truly hopes" there aren't too many PS3 and Xbox 360 games ported to Wii U. "The Wii forced developers to be original and unique," he said. "The Wii became successful because it offered so many differentiating features and software that was different and original from its competitors.

"I'll say it flat out: any core-port over to the Wii U will be minimally successful." Conversion costs may be low, but "no port will reach blockbuster status on the Wii U console" Divnich also questioned the "overlap" between the 3DS and Wii U controller when at home.

Piers Harding-Rolls thinks Wii U may confuse people with its "complex vision". "I don't believe that this proposition is as mainstream as the original Wii," he said, because Wii had a "more simple message". Existing Wii owners may even be confused into thinking the Wii U tablet works with Wii, Harding-Rolls added.

To that end, "consumer education is key" for Nintendo, said Harding-Rolls - but also a "significant challenge and expense". A two-screen, two-device vision puts Wii U on "more directly competitive footing" with Apple and its new AirPlay idea, too, pointed out Harding-Rolls.

Mainstream success concerns Doug Creutz as well. He sees Wii U as "Nintendo's attempt to re-enliven their appeal to the core gamer market". But by doing so, Nintendo may sacrifice a larger slice of the pie. "I don't know that this gets people who are not Nintendo fanboys - granted there are a lot of those - to run out and buy the console if they already have Xbox 360s or PS3s," said Creutz. But he expects Wii U to be "somewhat successful" nonetheless.

And Nintendo has to do something, said Michael Pachter, because it is "falling behind" Xbox 360 with Kinect and PS3 with Move. With Smash Bros. the only Nintendo Wii U game announced, Pachter finds it "hard to know if the launch software will be compelling".

Success also depends on price - currently an unknown. But the analysts are unanimous in their conviction that Nintendo cannot break the $300 barrier.

Creutz said Nintendo "absolutely must price sub-$300 given the Wii U is really a lateral move from current competitor consoles rather than a step up".

At $300, Pachter said Wii U "may" be pricier than future Move or Kinect bundles. "At more than $300," he added, "it will almost certainly be too expensive."

"I don't think the Wii U can go higher than $299," offered Divnich, "it just can't and won't happen. I haven't seen the full specs, but no way it crosses that $299 price point."

Harding-Rolls stated the obvious: "A good price would be one that makes it a mass market proposition while delivering strong profits from launch."

Assuming the price is right, can Wii U not only follow in the footsteps of Wii but also outsell its predecessor?

Harding-Rolls doesn't think so, but partly because the appetite for consoles themselves will diminish as net-connected tellies, set-top boxes like OnLive and tablets running OnLive take off. "Wii U will inevitably launch into a more competitive market than the Wii," he said, "and therefore at this stage I don't believe it will surpass Wii sales."

Creutz isn't sure anything can beat the early adoption rate of Wii. "The Wii caught lightning in a bottle," he said. "I doubt it will be more successful than the Wii, at least in terms of the initial adoption curve."

"Ask me in three years!" exclaimed Divnich. "The Wii is one of the best selling consoles of all time and it may be too early to make any 'official' prediction on overall sales just quite yet."

Nintendo announced the Wii U console - formerly Project Cafe - at E3 this week. The new console will be released next year. [/p]

Source

It's a lot of text that's hard to summarize so I'll keep it in USN.

It does outline a lot of the concerns I have for the system.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
lol loads of mixed feelings and comments
tongue.gif
the price could be a concern.. but hey, no comments till we know more
smile.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main problem right now is that we really don't know anything about the WiiU. But they have some really good points; The WiiU really stupid in the fact that it's targeting the core audience. A console can't have an appeal THAT broad. It'll either shine in one area, or just sit in the background and be mildly successful in both.

Nintendo, what are you doing?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
The main problem right now is that we really don't know anything about the WiiU. But they have some really good points; The WiiU really stupid in the fact that it's targeting the core audience. A console can't have an appeal THAT broad. It'll either shine in one area, or just sit in the background and be mildly successful in both.

I agree, and the core appeal isn't much. Nintendo fans regardless will buy Nintendo systems because of Mario and Zelda. But for anyone who doesn't see those as system sellers, they're shit out of luck. They promised loads of third party support and to make the WiiU basically a "band aid" for the third party issue, but by the time it comes out, it'll be trying to compete with consoles that have far superior and established third party libraries. It offers no real edge on the other systems outside of some funky ideas, but funky ideas aren't gonna make people slap down at least $400+ (for the console and some games). If anything it's just trying to give current Wii-only owners games they weren't able to play before.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see this happening:

Launch - Several casual games (maybe some Ubisoft, possibly a Mario) and several "core" games (if ported, maybe MW2 and Assassin's Creed)

Six months in - Casual games start to dominate, core games slowly fade

One year in - No more core games to be found, completely casual

It's like the Nintendo curse or something.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Slyakin said:
I see this happening:

Launch - Several casual games (maybe some Ubisoft, possibly a Mario) and several "core" games (if ported, maybe MW2 and Assassin's Creed)

Nintendo has long set itself in the "Family Console" niche. You can't expect to switch gears and have people think you're doing good for the core audience.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
Slyakin said:
I see this happening:

Nintendo has long set itself in the "Family Console" niche. You can't expect to switch gears and have people think you're doing good for the core audience.
Isn't that what I just said? I put that the core games would show up at first and then fade. I hope I didn't word my post incorrectly.
ohnoes.png

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I really don't pay much attention to what analysts say. I still remember before the current gen consoles launched, they all wrote the Wii off and proclaimed that the PS3 would be the king of everything. The existence of the 360 was barely acknowledged.

Gen by gen its always hard to predict which console will come out on top, success in one gen never guarantees success in the next. Talk is cheap and means nothing.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
TwinRetro said:

Ahem.... Remember the GameCube? It had the most mature titles of all Nintendo consoles. Who is to say this new gen console won't target core audience? Sure, analysts say some smart stuff, but they're often wrong a lot, too. There's definitely potential for Nintendo to aim at the core audience, and that's also what I'm rooting for.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ace Faith said:
Ahem.... Remember the GameCube? It had the most mature titles of all Nintendo consoles. Who is to say this new gen console won't target core audience? Sure, analysts say some smart stuff, but they're often wrong a lot, too. There's definitely potential for Nintendo to aim at the core audience, and that's also what I'm rooting for.

If you remember the Gamecube, you should remember that it was beaten enormously by their old rival, Sony, and pretty thoroughly spanked by the newbies, Microsoft. If they were trying to make their next console like a Gamecube then they are doing it wrong.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Guild McCommunist said:
Ace Faith said:

If you remember the Gamecube, you should remember that it was beaten enormously by their old rival, Sony, and pretty thoroughly spanked by the newbies, Microsoft. If they were trying to make their next console like a Gamecube then they are doing it wrong.
The Gamecube had nothing new. The WiiU has this whole new tablet thingy. They want to go more hardcore, but in their own way, and they already achieved changing the market and they did it TWICE! Let's hope this will be the third time. ^^

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I really hope for something for the Wii U

For now saving for RE: The Mercenaries, MGS SE and the PSV (with a game). So launching the Wii U next year is considered pretty good for me
smile.gif

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Analysts are stupid. In everything. They don't know the word "Innovation". They criticized Wii and many people did (Just what the WiiU is receiving now because of its controller and possible price? I mean come on, you can't expect Nintendo consoles to stay under $300 till the end of time....), but it flourished where as PS3 and XBOX 360 were left to savour the success shadows left out by the Nintendo Wii.

Of course the Wii is near dead now, not only 'cause it has no games, is too out dated in terms of graphics or the fact that a successor is on the way. It's just that almost every casual gaming driven family out there already has a Wii, you can't expect a current owner to buy a second Wii.

Moving onto WiiU, it'll break records on its first month, and to what heights it goes from there. Depends solely on third party and first party developers.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
QUOTE said:
Doug Creutz from Cowen and Company acknowledged Wii U's "promise" but questioned the machine's power. "I'm not sure how revolutionary it will be," he said. According to Creutz, Wii U is "on a par" with PS3 and Xbox 360 rather than "a step up".

this right here is why all Analysts are fuck-tards and know absolutely jack shit what their talking about especially that ***t Pachter he is the biggest gfx whore on earth i can't stand him!

a step up? he doesn't know fuck all the next ps4/720 are not going to be that different from what they are now. games are already in 1080p and they will remain that next gen consoles have pretty much reached their limit. if these fuck-tards actually did their reasearch and did what their supposed to be paid to do they would know this.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bladexdsl said:
QUOTE said:

this right here is why all Analysts are fuck-tards and know absolutely jack shit what their talking about especially that ***t Pachter he is the biggest gfx whore on earth i can't stand him!

a step up? he doesn't know fuck all the next ps4/720 are not going to be that different from what they are now. games are already in 1080p and they will remain that next gen consoles have pretty much reached their limit. if these fuck-tards actually did their reasearch and did what their supposed to be paid to do they would know this.
+1 for typing out my thoughts
rolleyes.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SamAsh07 said:
Bladexdsl said:
QUOTE said:

+1 for typing out my thoughts
rolleyes.gif
And how do you know? Who knows, maybe tomorrow TV developers will make a way to develop TVs showing in 2160P and the PS4 and 720 will take advantage of that.

Nintendo stepped out of the gate waaaaay too fucking early this gen.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
they wont not until at least 10 years anyway
sonys next gen will be the ps3 B with a faster cpu and ripped off wii U controller
m$ will be 360 B with a faster cpu and gfx card to stop all the frameskips in the current games and prob better (and more expensive) online and prob something similair to wii U controller
tongue.gif

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
@Slyakin - You are wrong, technology is advancing greatly, true. But it won't come to higher resolution games that quickly. It'll take more than 4-5 years, by the time in which WiiU is probably 3-4 years old, with an year or so left for its successor WiiUMii to be announced.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries