An SSBB control topic - GCN or Wii+Nunchuk?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by falco123, Feb 4, 2008.

Feb 4, 2008
  1. falco123
    OP

Member falco123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This is a topic pleading for you all of you who are too afraid to try something new, to try out the wii remote and nunchuk controller configuration. Most of you have played with the GCN controller for a very long time, and that's great, but you should see what else is out there. I've really taken a liking to the nunchuk setup, and I'm pretty sure I can do anything the GCN controller can do, maybe even better. Especially now that the B button isn't so far from X so that aerial B can be done quicker, as well as very easy shorthopping.

Changes to default I made:
    -Turn off UP to jump, blah
    -Change Down to Grab. Either shield+atk or down works fine to grab, this game is much slower so it doesn't make too much of a difference IMO.

In fact, the game being slower facilitates the freedom and usability of the wii remote and nunchuk, if it were Melee it would NEVER work obviously, but it feels very nice in this game.

Also, C-stick is for noobs [​IMG] If it turns out that it's really not for noobs, well, maybe i'll have to get a Classic controller. How is that controller, anyway? Bottom - jump, left - reg atk, up - spec atk, right - grab, that's what i hear is a good config. but does it play well...

2. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    I'm sure people don't like the nunchuck and Wii remote combination, as they're used to playing with the GameCube controller, and are better if they use it.

I've yet to play SSBB, but when it comes out in US, I'm definately NOT going to be using the Wii Remote to play it - just because it's so different from "normal" Smash Bros controls.

3. falco123
    OP

United States
    The remote only sucks, everyone knows that.

Also, I've been playing what, a grand total of 10 hours, and I got comfortable with the controls a while ago. That time will be meaningless over the span of SSBB's lifetime, so it's not like it's a big issue to change. And having the detached control setup (and wireless, AND rumble) is just even better, and GCN can't beat that.

4. lordkieranos

Newcomer lordkieranos Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    C stick for noobs, yep i agree, but all my mates, all ps3, 360 ownwers use nothing but the c stick so, yep defo agree.
    Was quite enjoying using the wii-mote nunchuck combo but batteries running low so switched back to gc controller, also wavebird ideal for doing the 1 hp flower trick to get characters cos you can do it while doing other stuff and what not.
    can see myself sticking with gc controllers for now, only cos my joytech batttery packs KILLED 4 wiimotes

5. venn

Newcomer venn Newbie

help! How do i do the final smash with wiimote + nunchuck?

6. gotissues

Newcomer gotissues Member

Netherlands
    pressing b usually does it for me.

7. svaver

Newcomer svaver Member

Netherlands
    wii mote onli works fine for me [​IMG]

onli problem is that i push the button at the back sometimes... to connect it with a wii >.

8. NeoWoeN

Member NeoWoeN GBAtemp Regular

France
    GC Controller....the only & best way.

9. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Wii + Nunchuck allways been my favorite.
    But i must try the GCN [​IMG]

10. alkah0lik

Newcomer alkah0lik Newbie

Netherlands
    I really REALLY like the classic controller setup, makes it alot easier for me to short hop. Also it responds faster to my feeling then a gc controller.

11. darkpaladinmfc

Member darkpaladinmfc GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I use Wiimote and Nunchuck, it took a bit of time to get used to (About 20 mins) but now after playing for 15 hours, getting every character, every stage and almost every event on hard I definetely prefer it to the GC controller. I'm gonna get a Classic Controller for my birthday this Saturday though (We're all gonna play Brawl [​IMG]).

12. StacMaster-S

Member StacMaster-S GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I gave the classic controller a whirl... but honestly after so many years of playing Melee it's hard to imagine using anything but the GC controller.

I think Classic might be a good option for new players who are planning to take the game seriously.

13. Soopy

Member Soopy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    im sticking to GC controller. tried the other ways and they dont even compare IMO. im pretty sure that serious SSBB players will use the GC controller.

14. falco123
    OP

United States
    I didn't realize A+B could grab as well. I think it's probably better than the GCN controller now.

Of course all the old ssbm "competitive" players will only use the GCN controller, in fact i'm sure they had it plugged in since the first second. But I'm here to tell you that the remote+nunchuk combination is just as good and could even be better.

15. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Here's something fun. When you have a group of people playing, play this hectic mode (not in the game) where you change the controllers into something totally random. Up would be left, Right would be down and etc. Have some competition going on within the group or a bet. Winner does whatever, losers do whatever. Just a random idea I thought of on the spot. Seems like fun. [​IMG]

I'm gonna do this with a bunch of friends when I get Brawl. It's fun to mess around once in a while.

16. Dingler

Member Dingler GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    Classic Controller all the way babe! Made me change from GC, and I've played Meele forever. Was my first GC game ever

17. Alfangus

Newcomer Alfangus Member

Australia
    I'm playing Remote + Nunchuk, with C mapped to Grab and Down mapped to Jump.

Works well, and I'm liking it over my GC controller at the moment, if only because my GC controllers all have busted up control sticks [​IMG]

18. falco123
    OP

United States
    How can you shorthop effectively with Down as jump? The C button is really great for it.

19. falco123
    OP

United States
  20. Edwii

Member Edwii GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    right now i still love my wavebird(gnc) (and never use C lol) but i think ill get used to mote+chuck later on. havent tryed mote only might be good. BUT
    i actually think id be awesome if i had a N64 controller, that thing was responsive. maybe some day ill get something like it [​IMG]