garbaj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Hey everyone,

I tend to use my PS4 Pro most of the time using Remote Play. I have had many cases when there is a power outage on my house or the PS4 decides to crash which make remote play unusable after that state. I can already force the PS4 to turn off through a remotely controlled power outlet if that happens. Yet the biggest obstacle for me is turning on a fully powered OFF PS4 remotely. This might be a very niche case and I could not find anyone or project focused on this problem.

Hence I am looking into doing a hardware mode for my PS4 Pro such that I could turn it on after a power shortage or a kernel panic using a raspberry Pi (through the GPIO pins).

So far I know that when the PS4 shuts down the only way to turn it on is by pressing the button or using a controller to power it on. However, if there is a kernel panic in the system, then the power button needs to be pushed twice to wake up the PS4 again and you cannot wake up the PS4 with a controller.

I already have some type of "KVM" for my PS4 using a raspberry pi which controls the PS4 by faking a keyboard or a controller (using a MayFlash Pro in case i need to go to the "BIOS" of PS4, aka the recovery screen. However side note that you cannot wake a PS4 through this method). The RaspberryPi also fakes the usb being inserted to the system and it works quite well. This work has already been done so it's not something new.

I have ruled two options out, one which is probably the normal way to do it and the other being super dumb thing that does not require soldering and taking apart the PS4.

The idea for the first option would be to modify the PS4 power module (picture below) by adding a transistor in parallel to the power button. In theory a button in a circuit just closes it when it is pushed/pressed allowing current to flow. But from what I know is that you can also make a "virtual" button using a transmitter to close circuit (through an input that in this case would be the raspberry pi) without the need to physically press a button. The only reason why I mention a parallel circuit is because I would like to still maintain the power button functionality. Also I would like to isolate this mod only to the power button module since it is an easily replaceable part.

I don't know much about electronics so I don't know yet how to execute this one. I will mention what I think is the right way to do it but feel free to correct me. This is likely child's play for someone in the electrical eng field. From what I read, i first need to figure out with a multimeter the way that the current flows (also the voltage) such that I know where to solder the emmiter and the collector of the transistor. Whereas the base of the transistor goes to the raspberry to control the flow. I don't know now if i have to add any additional resistor to the circuit and what happens on the edge case that BOTH the power button and the transistor are active at the same time (by accident). I am not sure either if doing this is safe for my PS4 Pro (as in i don't end up frying it). That is why I am looking out for suggestions from someone with a better knowledge than me. Maybe there is also a better way to do it as well.

The other second option, which is absolutely dumb, is to have a servo motor attached near to the power button of the PS4 that somehow physically presses the button when the motor rotates :rofl:. I don't want to go much into details about it since I am not really considering this one (YET).

Let me know your suggestions and ideas for this mod.

1706017922936.png

This is btw the PS4 Pro power button module. You need to strip down the ENTIRE console to take this component out AFAIK.

garbaj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
I'd invest in a UPS if I were to experience power issues.
No amount of modding can save hardware from a shitty power feed.
I could add that later, but sometimes a brutal forceful power off is still needed when the PS4 decides to panic. The good way would be to again somehow hold the PS4 power button to turn it off when it freezes. The chaotic evil would be to yank the plug :lol:

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the dumb method, there exists a gadget called a SwitchBot that pushes physical buttons when it gets an instruction to do so over Bluetooth. I had one on our old boiler and I still have one attached to a light switch.

EdgarLittle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely fascinating project you've got going! For the transistor mod, you're on the right track. Adding a transistor in parallel with the PS4's power button and controlling it with a Raspberry Pi sounds doable and smart. You'd want to measure the button's voltage with a multimeter to understand what you're dealing with.

Don't forget a resistor for the base of the transistor to limit current from the Pi – that's crucial. Regarding your concern about both the button and transistor being active, as long as the circuit is designed correctly, it shouldn't be an issue. But yes, ensuring you're not exceeding the PS4's voltage and current limits is key to not damaging it.

garbaj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Absolutely fascinating project you've got going! For the transistor mod, you're on the right track. Adding a transistor in parallel with the PS4's power button and controlling it with a Raspberry Pi sounds doable and smart. You'd want to measure the button's voltage with a multimeter to understand what you're dealing with.

Don't forget a resistor for the base of the transistor to limit current from the Pi – that's crucial. Regarding your concern about both the button and transistor being active, as long as the circuit is designed correctly, it shouldn't be an issue. But yes, ensuring you're not exceeding the PS4's voltage and current limits is key to not damaging it.
Thank you so much for your response. I will post an update soon when it is finished. For now, I think I am going for a setup using a relay since it was much easier and safer to do. For the transistor i need more time and planning as I would need to learn some more additional information until i gain some confidence. I did a setup on a breadboard which worked but I need to do more practice. In addition the relay, while it might be overkill, it gives much more control as I can operate many other stuff with it.

As of now I have partially resolved the software side using the Raspberry-Pi as KVM with a cheap chinese USB video capture and its OTG feature. It works really well. I want to improve it a bit further as I would like it to emulate a genuine controller instead of a keyboard (which works for most of the parts but it does not work on recovery menu). I have currently found some donor dualshock4 motherboard controllers. I know this has been done before with GIMX for spoofing a mouse and keyboard as a controller input :)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Talk about an over complicated solution for a simple problem. All you *really* need is a relay. If the input has power, the output relay contacts will close - there’s your button press. You can either add it to the power outlet itself (240V) or use a small relay on the PS4’s 5V standby which is high regardless of whether the console is on or not. You just have to make that input momentary and you’re golden.

garbaj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Talk about an over complicated solution for a simple problem. All you *really* need is a relay. If the input has power, the output relay contacts will close - there’s your button press. You can either add it to the power outlet itself (240V) or use a small relay on the PS4’s 5V standby which is high regardless of whether the console is on or not. You just have to make that input momentary and you’re golden.
As I said I know the bare minimum about electrical engineering hence why my initial solution was as complicated as hell. I did some research and I am going with the relay route and I already have all the parts to test it out.

I still think that the "transistor-as-a-switch" is better as you can simply hide it within the PS4 as its way smaller than a relay, although I find it more complex.

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
A relay for this kind of application doesn't have to be large either.
You could also opt for something like an ESP relay module.
Just Google for 'esp8266 esp-01/01s 5v wifi relay module'
These modules cost less than $4 USD .

Hardest part might be allowing such an app to connect to it from outside.

Reactions: garbaj

boagamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
remotely controlled power outlet
What I did was use a $5 mobile phone autoclicker powered with 5v usb connected to a phone charger with the PS4 smart power outlet.

The auto clicker will simulate touch on the power button sensor when powered with 5v.

This is the one.

EDIT: My bad, PS4 Pro is not using a touch sensor like OG PS4.
In that case, the best an elegant way is to use a SMD solid state relay on aliexpress,
1714106980986.png

Don't use relay lol, its too big to fit inside the ps4.

Last edited by boagamer,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto