Hacking An interesting rumor about the 3DS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
leeday100196 said:
then they could rock up to someone's house and ask them to present the specified card, or the actual game that the card pretends to be.

Ignoring the fact that this type of enforcement would cost more than they even claim to lose to piracy, simply installing a "slam" function to your front door could totally defeat this.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lets clear this up
the hardware is owned by the consumer

the os is owned by nintendo
you have the rights on hardware, they have rights to os
they could change the os so that it doesnt work
but that is a gray area, one ninty would not enter

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
They're not selling you just the hardware. They're selling you with the promise that it will function a certain way, and this relies on the software. The hardware will not function as advertised if the software does not work. Please check the court cases for Sony's removal of OtherOS to see that this is a real legal concern.

deathking

Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
bigpaws said:
lets clear this up
the hardware is owned by the consumer

the os is owned by nintendo
you have the rights on hardware, they have rights to os
they could change the os so that it doesnt work
but that is a gray area, one ninty would not enter

they can remove flash cart functionality
but they cannot remove or destroy their os so other games stop working

ingola

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it would be like windows saying you cannot run imgbrn because they didn't make it i can run whatever i want on my hardware.

JetBlckHrt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
machomuu said:
Yeah, people say that but it's yours and you can do what you want with it. That's like saying if I buy meatloaf I'm not allowed to add ketchup to it.

This is a great example. Even if its stolen ketchup (i.e. pirating) They cant take your meat loaf away from you. Furthest they could go is wiping the ketchup off your meatloaf...
hmm...that made sense I think.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JetBlckHrt said:
machomuu said:
Yeah, people say that but it's yours and you can do what you want with it. That's like saying if I buy meatloaf I'm not allowed to add ketchup to it.

This is a great example. Even if its stolen ketchup (i.e. pirating) They cant take your meat loaf away from you. Furthest they could go is wiping the ketchup off your meatloaf...
what type of monster would take away ketchup from meatloaf? who ask you, who?

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheDarkSeed said:
JetBlckHrt said:
machomuu said:

what type of monster would take away ketchup from meatloaf? who ask you, who?

What type of person would want ketchup on meatloaf? Tomato sauce is so much better!

tj445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
People keep calling the Flashcards as a pirate card.
I consider it a Third-Party extra add on for the system.

A good example of the case where you Own multiple game images you extracted yourself and wanting to make them portable, or even use the Flashcard to enable me the use of the DS as a multimedia platform for Movies or Music which the normal one would not allow me otherwise.

Telling to the customer "lol mang i herd ya usd a pirate thing, i r afraid i cannot fix dis" is not a plausible argument as the log will be hidden and the customer has not way to confirm it on his side, in this case it is very one-sided as nintendo can refuse any 3DS with the pretext that it has illegal things on it.

Same thing was with my internet a while back here in Japan, They sent me a letter saying that my internet will be cut due to me doing Pirate stuff. When i asked them for details it comes that they have no real proof that it was a pirate site or that i really did pirate anything off of it, The next moment i threat them for court and the next day i get a Letter of apology.

This is a very Japanese-esque way of treating things, they think that if you tell the client that you are using illegal things and we are not supporting you, the client will feel guilty and give up (Which is true on most of the Japanese people)
Too bad the Gaijin dont agree with that.

Its just like the AR Cheat device, It is sold on a wide variety of stores and its not illegal, even though it edits memory of the game and might cause problems on the OS.
Im still curious how they will handle "pirate" sites on the 3DS browser

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
tj445 said:
A good example of the case where you Own multiple game images you extracted yourself and wanting to make them portable, or even use the Flashcard to enable me the use of the DS as a multimedia platform for Movies or Music which the normal one would not allow me otherwise.

Same thing was with my internet a while back here in Japan, They sent me a letter saying that my internet will be cut due to me doing Pirate stuff.

Convincing argument.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a silly arguement... it's illegal in every major western country to intentionally remotely destroy any computer system. The 3DS is a computer system... it would be cyber terrorism... This isn't just fine material, this is jail time material.

Blueicm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt even if does log your use of flashcards which was already beat with the dsi. Nothing can be done... I mean it might void the warranty and Nintendo will know what carts work and what doesn't. I tell people this all the time since there are no agreements made on how to use your DS DSI DSIXL or 3DS their is nothing they can prosecute with. Your fears are based on rumors and that is all. They would literally have to catch you playing a Non-homebrew game on a flashcart to even say your a pirate. That is why they go for retailers and manufacturers.

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the people saying "It's mine, not theirs, I can do whatever I want to it" You need to read the DMCA before you speak.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
while reading comments on the source, i think they're crushing me.

On-Topic: damn. this was all a trap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://youtu.be/heNQ-22Mqnk?si=B4bTa9MKZkRNCkxU