Hacking An interesting rumor about the 3DS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason why DS flashcarts have been so easy to get working on the 3ds is because of how completely broken the DS protection is. There is very little nintendo can do because if Nintendo's protection is too stringent, it will break playback for LEGIT users which would be a huge PR nightmare. Really, all nintendo can do right now is use a combination of white and black lists (white lists are a list of games that are acceptable, black lists are a list of games that are unacceptable) and indeed that's all the protections currently are for both 3DS and DSi to prevent DS flash carts.

3DS games, however, have an updated and more sophisticated copy protection system. There won't be any 3DS flash carts till the game encryption has been cracked... which means exploiting some sort of flaw in the 3DS firmware.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
kthnxshwn said:
You need to read the DMCA before you speak.

Which is only in use in the US and thus doesn't affect the rest of the world (even though people may think so and the lobbyists in the US want so).

The DMCA is something that is veeerry strict in terms of usage and somehow the iPhone jailbreak does not classify as a violation of the DMCA? Don't DS flashcarts do the same thing (just like the ps3 jailbreak)? Talk about an easy law to interpret..

-Qtis

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
koji2009 said:
The reason why DS flashcarts have been so easy to get working on the 3ds is because of how completely broken the DS protection is.

Also, there's not much point. DS is dead now, less and less people will be buying original DS games, especially to be played on 3DS. Game studios are not really loosing much money due to DS flashcards working on 3DS.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
kthnxshwn said:
For the people saying "It's mine, not theirs, I can do whatever I want to it" You need to read the DMCA before you speak.So if you install linux on your machine Dell has the right to remotely brick it?

QUOTE(Qtis @ Mar 18 2011, 09:35 AM) The DMCA is something that is veeerry strict in terms of usage and somehow the iPhone jailbreak does not classify as a violation of the DMCA?
It did, but then was named as an exception.
http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2010/Librari...-Statement.html

megawalk

The Legendary SRW Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
wow how ridiculous if that was the case i would set up a private log system and make a crash on the 3ds (asap) and then immediately link it to my system

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seriously cannot believe people are still taking this seriously. The whole thing is a FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) tactic to scare people into not using flashcards. That's all. The original NES (and every system since then) has had warnings about "unauthorized accessories". Technically, even a third party controller is an "unauthorized accessory". Let's not forget how Nintendo tried really hard to shut down the Game Genie. They lost in court. Did that stop them from saying that the Game Genie was dangerous? No, they still tried to scare people into not using it (I know GG/AR/Whatever can corrupt saves, but you get the point). It's the same thing. Can we let this and the dozen other threads about it die already?

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
This is the main one, so it's gotta' stay open so when the 54th person links the 16th site spreading the rumor we can confirm for the 500th time it's bullshit.

You're underballing it, I would say more like 1000 times
tongue.gif
It'll persist even after the 3DS comes out in Europe and America.

doodads

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could believe that, though I wouldn't doubt a way around it. But if that's the only consequence than I personally can't say I'd care.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
dgwillia said:
Still, even if the remote bricking thing is false, whats up with the whole retailers not rebuying them? That seemed fairly legit
That's one retailer. Notice that everybody's pasting the same notice in their report.
Yeah, I'm sure that Gamestop doesn't give a damn about your 3DS.

"Hey, he's trading in his 3DS!"
"OH SHIT BRO, FREE MONEY!"

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Qtis said:
kthnxshwn said:

Which is only in use in the US and thus doesn't affect the rest of the world (even though people may think so and the lobbyists in the US want so).

The DMCA is something that is veeerry strict in terms of usage and somehow the iPhone jailbreak does not classify as a violation of the DMCA? Don't DS flashcarts do the same thing (just like the ps3 jailbreak)? Talk about an easy law to interpret..

-Qtis
Moreover, The 3DS is Japanese and because NoA didn't create the 3DS, I don't think it would apply to us USians either.

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haddad said:
I hope this rumor stays a rumor
tongue.gif
I'm pretty sure everyone on these forums does, unless there is some 3DS haters here who are only here to convert people to NGP.

epicCreations.or

Trophies
Website
whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm hoping this is strictly a "reseller won't take it" thing, because I almost never trade in my consoles. It usually isn't worth it.

Although, just to have a backup plan, I'll buy the game my AK2i will pretend to be, get 100%, and if they ask any questions, I'll load it up for them
tongue.gif

machomuu said:
Qtis said:
kthnxshwn said:

-Qtis
Moreover, The 3DS is Japanese and because NoA didn't create the 3DS, I don't think it would apply to us USians either.
Wait wha-
I lol'd.

vhunter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
This is the main one, so it's gotta' stay open so when the 54th person links the 16th site spreading the rumor we can confirm for the 500th time it's bullshit.

Funny stuff man. (no sarcasm intended)

I'm also thinking this is BS for the stated reasons in this thread and the fact that Nintendo would loose a significant amount of hardware sells. If you can pirate on the NGP and not the 3ds that would make it a selling point much like the 360 and the ps3 a while back.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They're not going to check.

They don't check if a tradein system boots up, or if a case has the bloody game inside it.

What makes you think they're going to check this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER