Am I screwed 4.0 homebrew channel beta 8 nothing installs

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Azadar, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Azadar
    OP

Member Azadar GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have a US wii with firmware 4.0U from nintendo installed.

I also have homebrew channel beta 8 installed already with nothing else (never really used it before). When I boot now to homebrew and try to update it fails, when I try to install it via WAD it fails.

What I was trying to do was to use the USB loader, but I can not get CIOS to install (it fails also)

SO I read some more and it seems version 4.0 is screwed and nothing I can do about it. However I also read about downgrading the Wii menu from 4.0 to 3.2 or 3.3 or 3.4 and having everything work?

I see there are a bunch of different tools and instructions to downgrade but they all seem to require CISO pre-installed and homebrew channel. I have hombrew but not CIOS

is there a way to do this? Or am I SOL for the time being and NO USB loader for me?

Can someone please help me out IM confussed and I do not wan't to ruin the wii trying to do this.

Thanks in advance!

Azadar

2. Screemer

Member Screemer GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
  3. Vidboy10

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    Hold on a minute....
    How the fuck did HBC 8 run perfectly on your wii instead of bricking it?
    because HBC 8 got blocked by ninty by 3.3v2, 3.4, and 4.0.

4. Screemer

Germany
    where the hell did you get that information? simply not true.

5. Vidboy10

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    when the October 23rd update came, WiiBrew.org informed that WAD's and HBC 8 was blocked and if you tried to install HBC 8, it would brick your wii.

6. Screemer

Germany
    again, what you say is not true. the hbc installler for beta 8 simply stopped working after 23rd of october update. it never bricked wiis. as long as hbc is installed, running it won't brick your wii as well. he can't update his beta 8 because the the update used the same hole as the installer used and that was closed with 4.0.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiBrew:News/Archive

7. Azadar
    OP

United States
    Worked thanks so Now last question. What version of the Firmware shoudl I select for the downgrader? Whats the most capable right now I care less about the wii shops and shit.. I want usb loader to run!

3.3 3,4? USA?

8. Screemer

Germany
    simply go with 3.2. fakesingning bug present in all ioses. but you could even upgrade to 4.0 with wanins updater and still use usb loader.

9. Azadar
    OP

United States
    3.2? Seems like alot of games require newer firmware to run no!?

10. Vidboy10

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    Oh, sorry mate, i missread it when 3.3v2 came out. i thought they said HBC8 would brick your wii if you installed it on3.3v2.

11. Screemer

Germany
    games don't require a sm version to run. they require a certain ios to be installed. your wii was updated to 4.0 and all ioses should be present.

12. Azadar
    OP

United States
    ok so downgrade to 3.2 and than install the newest homebrew channel and usbloaders ruinning from 3.2?

If I wanted to go to a higher number what is the best way to update? not through Nintendo of course? what tool?

13. fogbank

Member fogbank GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you only want to run the USB loader:

As long as you can install cIOS rev9 you should not need to downgrade at all. All that the USB loader requires is homebrew capability and cIOS rev9 (or higher for SD loading). I would highly recommend that you do not downgrade if you can avoid it.

If you want to do other stuff then maybe you need to downgrade, but not just for USB loader.

14. Servdogg

Member Servdogg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    New games don't ever require any sort of firmware. They just need to have the right IOS installed to run. With the right IOS, any game can be played on any firmware. I am on 3.2U and can play any game and all homebrew apps work great.

15. thc42O

Banned thc42O Banned

Canada
    why rush to go to 4.0 just downgrade to 3.2 and thats it, better anyways as the softmii tweaktool has ALOT more themes for 3.2 then any other fw

16. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    You could just stay on 4.0.
    Install cIOSrev10, use Waninkokos IOS downgrader (not cIOS downgrader), install IOS60 with the fakesign bug and install preloader. That would give you all the capability of old system menus with all the new functions of 4.0.

17. denlim2004

Newcomer denlim2004 Newbie

Hong Kong
    hi azadar, what have worked? I have the same problem, wii 4.0ou firmware and homebrew beta 8, and can not install wads.... how did you do it?

18. blitzer320

Member blitzer320 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    use bannerbombe to install the latest hombrew channel and bootmii with the hackmii installer