AK2i water resistance or lucky? =P

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by heartgold, Dec 10, 2009.

Dec 10, 2009
  1. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Hey you all, I would like to share with you all, it's quite funny. The other day I was running my bath, I was standing by the side of it, I tried to eject my ak2i out the ds, however it went jumped out and went flying in to the bath where if was filled up with water! i :wtf: My heart panicked, I was like 'oh noz' what's gonna happen to my games and savefiles and gonna need a new flashcart, I quickly grabbed the ak2i outta the water and dryed it with a tower, took out the mini sd card, put that aside and started blowing my flashcart and also my blowing and drying my mini sd card, i was blowing in to the sd slot and the connectors of the flashcart and sd card for like two minutes, I thought it died, I didn't have any hope of it working, I slid the mini sd card into ak2i, put it back into the ds, powered my ds on, to my amaze, the ak2i game symbol came up, I then loaded it up, all my games showed up and it was working fine and even now. So AK2i water resistance or what? [​IMG] guess I was lucky [​IMG]

2. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

Nah just joking. You were in luck! Better story than my 3G iPod Nano surviving a run through in the washer, since the contacts are exposed.

I suggest backing up your saves though. There is a chance that it might die...

3. Xarsah16

Member Xarsah16 GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot

Yeah, you're lucky, most gaming electronics are nowhere near waterproof LOL.

I did have an almost similar scare today, though. I have a pretty DS phat that I gave a lovely paint job. I was worried because I thought it wasn't working. I forgot I had left the charger in my back pack. At my school, because it's finals week, Coca Cola came to distribute free Coke Zero soda. I loaded up my backpack. The charge cord for my DS phat got all wet from the ice. I dried it off completely, and then plugged it in. I saw the orange light meaning my DS was charging, but the odd thing was that it wasn't turning on. Turns out, my battery was deader than dead, and I just had to let it charge up for a minute to turn on. I didn't know if the water had affected my charger in any way, but apparently it works like a charm just like it used to.

4. Range-TE

Member Range-TE GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Indonesia
    lol dude, nice story! the next thing y'know AK2i will be advertised : " Water Resistant as long as you dry ir first"

5. Leonidas

Member Leonidas GBAtemp Fan

Slovenia
    You were lucky, because the water clearly didn't break into the Acekard's plastic shell, and the micro SD's are pretty waterproof too. Just make sure the cart and it's contacts are completely dried out, before you start using it again.

6. dottor_male

Member dottor_male GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Well, even if the water touch the board or the microsd, as long as you dry them before using, every electronic component should work without problem. (there are problems if the water, drying, leave traces of minerals on the circuit...)
    They break down because of short-circuits caused by the ions present in the water. If there is no water when you switch them on, no problem!

7. grindbart

Member grindbart GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    luck man,luck,but please do us a favour,backup your saves,thanks [​IMG]

8. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    True what you said, I was worried just incase it got damanaged as there are risks, that I may have lost all my save files on my mirco sd, i didn't really care about the ak2i. but yeah, happy ending

9. phoenixclaws

Member phoenixclaws GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yeh nice going with the drying it and letting it sit because as soon as a charge of electricity had gone through it would have sparked and fried it.
    Besides it's nice to know that an A2Ki is relatively inexpensive to replace [​IMG].

10. ericling

Member ericling GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Malaysia
    Nice story and sharing!

I feel like 80% you were lucky [​IMG]

11. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    The microsd reader they used to include with the AK2 is preatty sturdy too. Mine went through the washer and dryer 3 times and still worked. Died after the 4th time though.

(Before you ask why it got washed so many times... I would put it in my pocket to/from school, then forget about it)

12. Langin

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    WOW lucky guy [​IMG] I never have any luck except on school with my exams...

13. dahem_kh_ff

Newcomer dahem_kh_ff Member

United States
    lloll you said ''tower''

14. House Spider

Banned House Spider In the GBAtemp attic.

Ireland
    When I was younger, like 3, I was playing my GBC. I got stuck and pissed off so threw it in the bath. It survived however when I was like 6 I smashed but I don't know why.

15. bach3609

Member bach3609 GBAtemp Fan

Vietnam
    The all long lasting acekard 2i [​IMG] Mudproof, waterproof, poop-proof long lasting card.

Nah just kidding, it was probably luck. I think you should let the AK2i dry out first in case it shorts out and blows a fuse in your DS. [​IMG]

16. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    basicly in genaral if you have any elcronics that somehow get in contact with water
    here is what to do
    1.GET IT OUT
    2.GET A TOWL AND DRY WITH A TOWEL OR HAIRDRYER
    3.REMOVE ALL REMVABLE DEVICES EG:microsd's BATTERY
    4. PLACE THE PODUCT NET A WELL VENTALATED PLACE
    5.WAIT

thts just the genaral idea,i realised this when i misakenl dropped m ds lite on the bath and it died [​IMG]

17. italianmod

Newcomer italianmod Advanced Member

United States
    Not lucky, just science

As far as I know there isn't a battery or any electricity in an acekard or microSD while it is out of the DS (i may be wrong and if I am then ignore the rest of this) and since there is no electricity than the chance of something breaking because it went into water is extremely slim.

Almost any electronic that doesn't have power going to it can be put into water, taken out, dried very well, and then given power will work perfectly. Do I suggest you try this? Not at all. If you do and something goes wrong don't say "well that guy on GBAtemp said it'll be fine" then try to sue me or something because I'll just laugh in your face and throw out a few insults.

18. Critical_Impact

Member Critical_Impact GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    If you drop anything electronic in water, dont use it until you have
    Submerged it in metho then dried it using rice. Metho evaporates to nothing and the rice will soak up all moisture. Once done your electronics will be good to go. Well, apart from maybe the battery if it has one inside it. Mine got drained when I dropped a cart into the water so I had to replace it.

19. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    What is metho o.0? I understand why the rice is useful though xD (although I don't think a ton of people just happen to have a buch of rice laying around to dry sodden electrical equipment).

20. h8isgr8

Member h8isgr8 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Methanol.

Rubbing alcohol will work to (preferably the >90% stuff)

Actually, you should at least rinse with distilled water if you don't have alcohol. Tap water can still leave behind conductive mineral deposits when it dries.