Hacking AK2i water resistance or lucky? =P

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey you all, I would like to share with you all, it's quite funny. The other day I was running my bath, I was standing by the side of it, I tried to eject my ak2i out the ds, however it went jumped out and went flying in to the bath where if was filled up with water! i :wtf: My heart panicked, I was like 'oh noz' what's gonna happen to my games and savefiles and gonna need a new flashcart, I quickly grabbed the ak2i outta the water and dryed it with a tower, took out the mini sd card, put that aside and started blowing my flashcart and also my blowing and drying my mini sd card, i was blowing in to the sd slot and the connectors of the flashcart and sd card for like two minutes, I thought it died, I didn't have any hope of it working, I slid the mini sd card into ak2i, put it back into the ds, powered my ds on, to my amaze, the ak2i game symbol came up, I then loaded it up, all my games showed up and it was working fine and even now. So AK2i water resistance or what?
tongue.gif
guess I was lucky
happy.gif

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
heartgold said:
Hey you all, I would like to share with you all, it's quite funny. The other day I was running my bath, I was standing by the side of it, I tried to eject my ak2i out the ds, however it went jumped out and went flying in to the bath were if was filled up with water! i :wtf: My heart panicked, I was like 'oh noz' what's gonna happen to my games and savefiles and gonna need a new flashcart, I quickly grabbed the ak2i outta the water and dryed it with a tower, took out the mini sd card, put that aside and started blowing my flashcart and also my blowing and drying my mini sd card, i was blowing in to the sd slot and the connectors of the flashcart and sd card for like two minutes, I thought it died, I didn't have any hope of it working, I slid the mini sd card into ak2i, put it back into the ds, powered my ds on, to my amaze, the ak2i game symbol came up, I then loaded it up, all my games showed up and it was working fine and even now. So AK2i water resistance or what?
tongue.gif
guess I was lucky
happy.gif
smileipb2.png

Nah just joking. You were in luck! Better story than my 3G iPod Nano surviving a run through in the washer, since the contacts are exposed.

I suggest backing up your saves though. There is a chance that it might die...

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, you're lucky, most gaming electronics are nowhere near waterproof LOL.

I did have an almost similar scare today, though. I have a pretty DS phat that I gave a lovely paint job. I was worried because I thought it wasn't working. I forgot I had left the charger in my back pack. At my school, because it's finals week, Coca Cola came to distribute free Coke Zero soda. I loaded up my backpack. The charge cord for my DS phat got all wet from the ice. I dried it off completely, and then plugged it in. I saw the orange light meaning my DS was charging, but the odd thing was that it wasn't turning on. Turns out, my battery was deader than dead, and I just had to let it charge up for a minute to turn on. I didn't know if the water had affected my charger in any way, but apparently it works like a charm just like it used to.

Leonidas

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
You were lucky, because the water clearly didn't break into the Acekard's plastic shell, and the micro SD's are pretty waterproof too. Just make sure the cart and it's contacts are completely dried out, before you start using it again.

dottor_male

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, even if the water touch the board or the microsd, as long as you dry them before using, every electronic component should work without problem. (there are problems if the water, drying, leave traces of minerals on the circuit...)
They break down because of short-circuits caused by the ions present in the water. If there is no water when you switch them on, no problem!

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Leonidas said:
You were lucky, because the water clearly didn't break into the Acekard's plastic shell, and the micro SD's are pretty waterproof too. Just make sure the cart and it's contacts are completely dried out, before you start using it again.

Yup I've made sure they are competely dry

QUOTE(dottor_male @ Dec 10 2009, 01:58 PM) Well, even if the water touch the board or the microsd, as long as you dry them before using, every electronic component should work without problem. (there are problems if the water, drying, leave traces of minerals on the circuit...)
They break down because of short-circuits caused by the ions present in the water. If there is no water when you switch them on, no problem!

True what you said, I was worried just incase it got damanaged as there are risks, that I may have lost all my save files on my mirco sd, i didn't really care about the ak2i. but yeah, happy ending

phoenixclaws

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeh nice going with the drying it and letting it sit because as soon as a charge of electricity had gone through it would have sparked and fried it.
Besides it's nice to know that an A2Ki is relatively inexpensive to replace
smile.gif

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The microsd reader they used to include with the AK2 is preatty sturdy too. Mine went through the washer and dryer 3 times and still worked. Died after the 4th time though.

(Before you ask why it got washed so many times... I would put it in my pocket to/from school, then forget about it)

bach3609

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The all long lasting acekard 2i
smile.gif
Mudproof, waterproof, poop-proof long lasting card.

Nah just kidding, it was probably luck. I think you should let the AK2i dry out first in case it shorts out and blows a fuse in your DS.
tongue.gif

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
basicly in genaral if you have any elcronics that somehow get in contact with water
here is what to do
1.GET IT OUT
2.GET A TOWL AND DRY WITH A TOWEL OR HAIRDRYER
3.REMOVE ALL REMVABLE DEVICES EG:microsd's BATTERY
4. PLACE THE PODUCT NET A WELL VENTALATED PLACE
5.WAIT

thts just the genaral idea,i realised this when i misakenl dropped m ds lite on the bath and it died
sad.gif

italianmod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not lucky, just science

As far as I know there isn't a battery or any electricity in an acekard or microSD while it is out of the DS (i may be wrong and if I am then ignore the rest of this) and since there is no electricity than the chance of something breaking because it went into water is extremely slim.

Almost any electronic that doesn't have power going to it can be put into water, taken out, dried very well, and then given power will work perfectly. Do I suggest you try this? Not at all. If you do and something goes wrong don't say "well that guy on GBAtemp said it'll be fine" then try to sue me or something because I'll just laugh in your face and throw out a few insults.

Critical_Impact

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you drop anything electronic in water, dont use it until you have
Submerged it in metho then dried it using rice. Metho evaporates to nothing and the rice will soak up all moisture. Once done your electronics will be good to go. Well, apart from maybe the battery if it has one inside it. Mine got drained when I dropped a cart into the water so I had to replace it.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Critical_Impact said:
If you drop anything electronic in water, dont use it until you have
Submerged it in metho then dried it using rice. Metho evaporates to nothing and the rice will soak up all moisture. Once done your electronics will be good to go. Well, apart from maybe the battery if it has one inside it. Mine got drained when I dropped a cart into the water so I had to replace it.
What is metho o.0? I understand why the rice is useful though xD (although I don't think a ton of people just happen to have a buch of rice laying around to dry sodden electrical equipment).

h8isgr8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
What is metho o.0?

Methanol.

Rubbing alcohol will work to (preferably the >90% stuff)

Actually, you should at least rinse with distilled water if you don't have alcohol. Tap water can still leave behind conductive mineral deposits when it dries.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night