Hacking AK Team declare AK2.1 more stable

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I still like the idea of the DSX, the onboard memory and USB port is really handy...

Though after a year of working mine finally died...

And I got an Acekard 2, and it works fine.

I think the problem is overstated a bit, as there are probably a lot more people with perfectly normal AK2's who aren't going to sign up and post about it not working.

schmoey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
helpme said:
QUOTE said:
I got the replacement more quickly than the original.
my replacement was dispatched the same day i sent my acekard2 back after sending them a copy of my receipt from the post office
i received my OSone a couple of days ago

So my AK2 from DX died yesterday =( Was playing FFTA2, everything was great, turned it off, went out for about 30mins, came back, turned it on...... bam, permanent FAT error. My brother's card, who ordered his at the end of April, is still working.. for now. He's not that heavy of a user though. Oh well. Thankfully, at least DX was extremely fast to get back to me about RMA'ing it (half an hour tops?).. They asked me to do the same thing -- however, I'm a little confused.

"Before you mail, send us the total expected shipping cost so that we can record and process a return shipping reimbursement for you. Then, e-mail us your tracking number and the actual postage spent. Upon the delivery of the returned package, a replacement unit and the return shipping reimbursement will be sent to you. "

So we first e-mail them the expected cost, then ship it out, and finally e-mail them tracking # and postage spent, without any confirmation from them or anything (e.g. confirming the expected cost)? Also, should I return with the USB reader in the original packaging (I still have everything in decent condition), or is that not necessary? Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks! And hopefully not too many others with defective cards surface.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When I was going through the process of returning my AK2 they asked for the estimated shipping, which I sent them. Then they said to mail the item and send them a message with the actual shipping amount. I did that, and they refunded the return shipping (minus Paypal's cut of course) and sent the new AK2 out when they recieved the return. They were in contact the whole time, and they were prompt about returning messages.

iann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bri said:
Acekard did admit the problem and is apparently trying to fix it.

-Bri
Yes, but their admission was hidden in a thread on the forum, it would have been nice if Acekard put an official notice up on their homepage or on their forum.
It would also be good if they could split their website up and have separate Chinese and English webpages, instead of it being all mixed on the same webpage.

jabjab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iann said:
Bri said:
Acekard did admit the problem and is apparently trying to fix it.

-Bri
Yes, but their admission was hidden in a thread on the forum, it would have been nice if Acekard put an official notice up on their homepage or on their forum.
It would also be good if they could split their website up and have separate Chinese and English webpages, instead of it being all mixed on the same webpage.
It was hardly hidden - it was writen a number of times there in response to peoples problems.
Where else would you expect people with problems to go if not the AK website?
When they go they see title with their problem = they got answer.

iann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
jabjab said:
It was hardly hidden - it was writen a number of times there in response to peoples problems.
All I'm saying is they could have made an official notice and Pinned it, instead they gave very brief answers in a few of the threads, such as:

"I mean the card is broken for some reason. And i think you can't fix it by yourself and we need improve the QC of factory."

jabjab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iann said:
jabjab said:
All I'm saying is they could have made an official notice and Pinned it, instead they gave very brief answers in a few of the threads, such as:

"I mean the card is broken for some reason. And i think you can't fix it by yourself and we need improve the QC of factory."
Thats reply is sort of out of context as its in response to repeated whines and just trying to explain themself in a different way. (http://www.acekard.com/bbs/viewthread.php?...;page=1#pid7187)
They had a copy paste which they replied in other threads which basically stated there was a QC problem leading to some manufacturing errors being passed but that they had warned the factory about it. What more info do you need?
I dont think anyone would really issue a statement on their main page saying all units sucked unless they were going to recall them (minority fail not majority)but i think its easier to wait on the 10% or so to be returned.

gcdswiiman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have bought three AK2 cards from Dealextreme at various times (and prices ) over the last three months. Two of them are working fine. The third one started to develop a problem where it would hang at the DS safety screen - the top screen only gets painted halfway. If i re-seated the card it fixed it at first. Then I tried cleaning the contacts with alcohol and that seemed to also work ... for a while. But then the problem got worse. To me this particular symptom may be caused by the contacts not being thick or rugged enough and possibly getting worn down over time. I did not try to "pad" the card with tape on the opposite side as one user suggested but that may have helped although I would not want to risk getting tape residue in my DS's slot.

So far I have had a fairly good experience with DX trying to return the card. I sent the picture, received a request to send the card which I did. They asked for my shipping amount. Since that was only a few days ago I can't say how it finally turned out. I want to believe I will get a replacement.

I really hope the AK2 factory ultimately addresses the issue - their menu system is very nice, the skins are great, and with bliss's custom shell it turns a DS into a great MP3 player for my kids which is why I bought the thing in the first place. Instead of carrying a separate device they now just keep the Acekard in the back pocket of their DS case and plug it in when they want to hear music ... and with good headphones it sounds pretty good.

jobbii

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OzMOdChips.

I have just purchased an additional FIVE AceKards from you guys on 5 July.
Why were you still selling them whilst referring to them as "shitty" in this forum on 3 July?
I have my fingers crossed that I've dodged 5 bullets from this latest Acekard batch.

To be fair, I bought 5 Acekards in May and they've been fantastic - bullet proof even. Which is why I've been recommending them to friends and then bought another 5 in July.

Anyways I still love your service and speed of delivery.
unsure.gif

thesaint08

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am another that has suffered from this.

I bought two AceKard2's about a month ago, I sold one to a friend who had got a brand new red DS lite.
She called me about 3 days later to say the AceKard2 had stopped working.
I took the 2nd one to her, and 2 days later "Bam" that one went as well.

I finally took her a Supercard one, and that has been fine. I originally thought that Nintendo had put something in the new Ds's, to combat flashcarts, but I realise after a bit of searching that it is the AceKard2.

Dealextreme were extremely efficient. I sent in a ticket, and e-mailed a copy of the postal receipt, and they dispatched one immediately, the two replacements had a sticker on the package("Ultra guide") that wasn't on the first lot, so hopefully these are from a different batch. these replacements arrived approx 5 days after I submitted my ticket.

ROM Troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thesaint08 said:
the two replacements had a sticker on the package("Ultra guide") that wasn't on the first lot, so hopefully these are from a different batch. these replacements arrived approx 5 days after I submitted my ticket.
Please keep us posted in the "Ultra guide" thread on your future experience with these replacements. Thanks

quantronics

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been super lucky, two batches from Acekard direct and got my first faulty unit 2 days ago.

Managed to reflow the board and it now works like a charm again.

It really does look like the manufacturing process has caused 'dry joints' in the components - running a heat gun with flux over the whole board seemed to have fixed the problem (FAT ERROR)

Prior to that, just one faulty Acekard TF Reader

I'm very paranoid about buying new stock though, I think I will be waiting off like OMC until their Quality Control is fixed up.

Rings to the ears just like XBOX360 problems.....trying to save money
frown.gif

decayed.cell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Searinox said:
HOLY #$^@!! OH MY GOD!

WHY didn't this disaster surface BEFORE I bought my AK2.... jesus.

I am SO disgusted by the way they treat the faulty batches, thanks for informing, albeit it is too late for me.

EDIT: If they found the problem and "fixed" them WHY don't they tell us how??
Because if its a manufacturing problem not everyone can fix it with their bare hands

OzModChips said:
PharaohsVizier said:
I thought they got busted in China, so they have their other place in France...

They did for a while
but they where stil being made in china somewhere - shipped to france, then to everyone from there
thats when there where al those ghey delays

now they are....
well, cant tell you what they are doing, they are quite sneaky

The secret 11 herbs and spices added during production inflate the price I guess?

QUOTE(jabjab @ Jul 3 2008, 07:26 AM) just wondering.. but its AK people that package the card reader?
If so could different failure rates be associated with different readers?
i have seen black one with some yellow behind word 'acekard' i think blue ones orange ones and black/grey ones with acekard written on them.
Could these help show which 'batch' or time period a card is from?

lol your monocle..... by jove!
Hmm thats a good observation, my AK2 reader is frosted black whilst Swip's one is frosted blue. No problems with the card itself yet though

QUOTE(Joey90 @ Jul 4 2008, 03:05 AM)
I still like the idea of the DSX, the onboard memory and USB port is really handy...

Though after a year of working mine finally died...

And I got an Acekard 2, and it works fine.

I think the problem is overstated a bit, as there are probably a lot more people with perfectly normal AK2's who aren't going to sign up and post about it not working.
Good point, people are more likely to post about problems rather than compliments xD

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
@quantronics: where and how did you use the solderer? Those things are microscopic. More info would be greatly appreciated by everyone.

EDIT: I tried twice and nothing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!