AIM is dead, long live AIM

incidentallyscribble

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
screen-shot-2017-12-15-at-9-44-05-am.png

AIM has officially shut down, on December 15th, 2017.
AIM has ran since 1997, and it finally closed it's doors today.
The main reason that AIM shut down was the lack of usage. With much better options such as Skype, Discord, etc., there were hardly any people using it.
Fortunately, it's not over yet.
Services such as AIM Phoenix provide support for official AIM clients, allowing you to continue to have a genuine AIM experience, without the official AIM servers.
What were your memories of AIM?

:arrow:AIM Phoenix
:arrow:Source

Last edited by incidentallyscribble,

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AIM was crucial in my life because 10 years ago, my friend at the time shared music with me over AIM, turning me into a metalhead, as I never explored metal music before. I was all about rap at that time, it changed the course of history for me. Some heavy arguments in AIM, a 1 year loving relationship was maintained through AIM as it was a long distance affair. The relationship ended over AIM, so highs and lows for sure, but all memorable and affecting in my life. So, may AIM rest in peace.

incidentallyscribble

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a thing for MSN messenger that makes it so you can connect to new, working servers instead of the old ones which are down. I never really used AIM but I hope something like that appears for it eventually as I knew some people (not as friends or even really acquaintances) who were still using AIM up until it died.

(for those who are interested in the service i was talking about)
Interesting. I didn't know about that and I'm glad it exists. I thought it was funny on the webpage Q&A you linked, one of the questions is "Why?" and the answer is "Why not?" Lol

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Interesting. I didn't know about that and I'm glad it exists. I thought it was funny on the webpage Q&A you linked, one of the questions is "Why?" and the answer is "Why not?" Lol
I just noticed that you have a link to a service like that for AIM in your first post. I just skimmed over it lol, now I feel dumb

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wonder how reliable this is actually going to be in the long run. Been an AIM user ever since AOL was a paid subscription to access the internet for Windows. So seeing it shut down is sad. But seeing this revival of it is awesome. Got it all set up and running with AIM 5.1 and man it sure is old school. However the server is currently down which makes me wonder how often it will go down in the future. It might not be worth using for constant use if the server goes down randomly. Thanks for the news about it though. Would've never known it existed.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wonder how reliable this is actually going to be in the long run. Been an AIM user ever since AOL was a paid subscription to access the internet for Windows. So seeing it shut down is sad. But seeing this revival of it is awesome. Got it all set up and running with AIM 5.1 and man it sure is old school. However the server is currently down which makes me wonder how often it will go down in the future. It might not be worth using for constant use if the server goes down randomly. Thanks for the news about it though. Would've never known it existed.
You shouldn't put up with subpar servers or clients just for nostalgia's sake. AIM has been completely killed by texting and traditional social media.

Reactions: DinohScene

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sometimes it's best to let old platforms die in peace.
The reason why they die is better alternatives come along.

20 years is a long time in the digital age.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You shouldn't put up with subpar servers or clients just for nostalgia's sake. AIM has been completely killed by texting and traditional social media.

Yeah it's unfortunate. It was just always the go to client for my sister and I to communicate. We since moved onto Skype but thought giving this a try would be cool to see and experience. Hopefully the server being down is just being patched. There seems to be an archive of updates and most of them if not all, all mention patches to the server.

Last edited by Brian117,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never used AIM (this area was a MSN area, maybe yahoo if they were weird -- serious business the IM divisions back in the day) but impressive amount of time it hung in there.

your using it right now forums ARE a type of social media :P
I recall a thread a little while back wherein a similar discussion happened. Forums did not seem to align that well with what is "traditionally" called social media. I guess you could use them as a kind of direct and communal communication and updates on your life, however it does not seem to be the intention or the design and if anybody is doing such things it is likely as an end run around restrictions on such things.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
I lived the whole MSN and AIM era and let me tell you how ass it was.

Sure, nostalgia is awesome and there are some things that have never been truly replaced by their replacements (Skype's bright white, unchangeable skin for example. Or custom emoticons), but there were issues with servers all the time. Even when Skype just started we had constant server issues. Messages that don't go through, failed sign-ins etc. You know that meme where you type a message but it fails, then another one but it fails, then you write "fuck you" and it's sent and the other person is mad at you? They all originated from them.

What about the time where Microsoft tried to ride the social media horse and MSN tried its worst to become Facebook? Everyone I knew moved to older MSN versions just to get off that awful oversized window.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
AIM was never really used here, everyone used MSN before eventually moving to Facebook. So I can't say I'll miss it.
There's a thing for MSN messenger that makes it so you can connect to new, working servers instead of the old ones which are down. I never really used AIM but I hope something like that appears for it eventually as I knew some people (not as friends or even really acquaintances) who were still using AIM up until it died.

(for those who are interested in the service i was talking about)
From what I heard, you don't even need a custom server for WLM. Since Windows Live is still alive, it was just merged with Skype, there's a way to patch WLM to work after the merge and still use the official servers. At least that's what I heard.
Sometimes it's best to let old platforms die in peace.
The reason why they die is better alternatives come along.

20 years is a long time in the digital age.
True. But MSN/WLM actually had some features that even modern clients are missing, like account-wide custom smileys (Discord has it but only if you pay, so that doesn't really count) and nudges. Nudges might be annoying but sometimes I wish they still existed so I could get the attention of a friend if they're not responding because they're watching videos or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nude checkers get jumped