Hacking Advantages/Disadvantages of using a Modchip instead of the Twilight Ha

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
An advantage is that (at least so far) you can update to any version firmware and your modchips still work. You get a full 6x read speed instead of 3x. If installed correctly and you use a wii-clip, you can remove it and leave no traces behind. (Might be possible with homebrew as well, if you really know what you are doing)

Thats all I can think of at the moment.

An advantage of homebrew channel (installed via twilight hack) is the ability to install VC wads

I say the best option is: Both

But if its one or the other than.. modchip might have a slight edge. That might change when savemii / cSM is released. Time will tell.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
By the moment, thinking on cost, Homebrew is better, an you can do many things,if you want to play backup discs on your Wii, ModChip is your best option...!!
smile.gif

Monster On Strin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Modchip
+
faster loading
boot by disc channel
better compatibility
-
cost money
soldering needed(or wiiclip more money)
breaks waranty
--------------------------------------
twilight hack
+
free, easy
allows to also boot homebrew
-
takes time to boot having to go through channels
gets constantly blocked by nintendo

Link5084

Sword & Shield at your service
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can always do both right? If the homebrew channel gets blocked or whatever its still possible to play backups discs on Wii because of the modchip?

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Er. Thats what my post said? Your best option is both
tongue.gif
Besides which, Im pretty sure once you have a modchip you can use a backed up copy of zelda to perform the to hack. So it doesnt end up costing you twice as much.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
EmperorOfCanada said:
Er. Thats what my post said? Your best option is both
tongue.gif
Besides which, Im pretty sure once you have a modchip you can use a backed up copy of zelda to perform the to hack. So it doesnt end up costing you twice as much.

or doing the Disc installation of Homebrew Channel..!!
smile.gif

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
Depends how old your console is...

Game compatibility is nothing to do with the mod chip... unless you have a really old one that gives 001 errors on some games.

Link5084

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I bought my Wii three months ago, so it's pretty new. If I get the WiiKey installed, would any GC backup work if I burn them to a Wii disk?

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Link5084 said:
I bought my Wii three months ago, so it's pretty new. If I get the WiiKey installed, would any GC backup work if I burn them to a Wii disk?
Yes, Gamecube backups work burned onto a DVD-R disc. Here's what you have to do before we can help you any more on modchip choices. First, go to Wii Drives and type in your Wii's serial number (it's on the bottom of your Wii). Then tell us what kind of drivechip it says you have. Once that's done we can tell you which modchips are the best for your Wii.

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
Link5084 said:

If you have a PAL Wii then you'll need to have the Wiikey 1.9g firmware installed to play all GC Backups correctly. The 1.9s firmware breaks the Audio Fix for PAL consoles. I have the 1.9g firmware and have had no problems playing any game and I've tried most of them.
grog.gif

Diffusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bytor said:
Link5084 said:

If you have a PAL Wii then you'll need to have the Wiikey 1.9g firmware installed to play all GC Backups correctly. The 1.9s firmware breaks the Audio Fix for PAL consoles. I have the 1.9g firmware and have had no problems playing any game and I've tried most of them.
grog.gif

Their Wii is 3 months old, so they'll need to get a Wiikey 2.

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Phratt said:
Can you only use GC back ups with a modchip, or is it possible with a backup loader?
I'm extremely tired of hearing questions about a Gamecube loader! It ruins the forum with at least 3 new topics coming up every day about the same thing! No, there's no Gamecube loader. You need a modchip.

turok4n64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
Phratt said:
Can you only use GC back ups with a modchip, or is it possible with a backup loader?
I'm extremely tired of hearing questions about a Gamecube loader! It ruins the forum with at least 3 new topics coming up every day about the same thing! No, there's no Gamecube loader. You need a modchip.

That is not true. There is a Gamecube loader that does not require a modchip

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
turok4n64 said:
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
Phratt said:

That is not true. There is a Gamecube loader that does not require a modchip
Well yeah but it loads off an SD Gecko and the compatibility is really low. So I don't really count it.

Link5084

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A Wiikey 2? Seriously? I thought just regular WiiKey's can work fine on new Wiis and can play all GC backups correctly. So if I have a NTSC Wii would Wiikey 1.9g work with all GC backups and Wii games, or do I need a Wiikey 2?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!