theman69

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well after playing years and years of a particular game i have realized that i am addicted to it... what should i do to stop playing this game?

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
An MMO, right?

Block the servers with some nanny program, and password protect it with a random password that you will never figure out.

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
theman69 said:
Well after playing years and years of a particular game i have realized that i am addicted to it... what should i do to stop playing this game?
Well its like drugs.
You simply need to do things like: Uninstall it and throw away the game disc on a locker.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
theman69 said:

What game is it?

I have been playing Daggerfall for 12 years ... at least 1 hour a day ... back in the day, I'd clock up 8 to 10 hours, some days ... have put in something like 10,000 hours playing it ...

Artheido

Trophies
Website
artheido.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Lock the game away with a pad-lock. Make sure you make the numbers on the pad-lock random so you don't know what it is.

If it's on the computer, ensure there's only 1 admin account, uninstall the game, create your account as a regular user set a long alphanumerical password like 53v46v2sh6, remember it for a split second for the re-entry check then save the password. Log out, read a page of anything next to you so you forget the password and there you have it =]

EDIT: Set the admin password as an alphanumerical one, not the regular user one.

greyhound

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Seazn said:
Lock the game away with a pad-lock. Make sure you make the numbers on the pad-lock random so you don't know what it is.

If it's on the computer, ensure there's only 1 admin account, uninstall the game, create your account as a regular user set a long alphanumerical password like 53v46v2sh6, remember it for a split second for the re-entry check then save the password. Log out, read a page of anything next to you so you forget the password and there you have it =]

because simpler is always better...

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only way to beat an addiction is to say it is an addiction and then decide to stop.

Locking it away, doesn't kill the addiction, you'll just get another game.

You have to beat the addiction, or it continues to control you.

Now ask yourself, is the game hurting you in ANY way?

Loving a game, playing it alot and playing it for years, is not in and of itself bad, if you are in control, and it is doing no harm.

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
Study. Or look for girls, well its better to be addicted to a girl than to a game.
tongue.gif

I could say i've been addicted to games since i was 6. Though i can still balance my time with study, work and my girl, family and other things. It depends on your discipline anyway, although a fatal effect is that you may not judge reality from fantasy correctly, leading to wrong decisions and stuff.

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
I used to be addicted to a certain MMO. If that's the case with you, I'd make it as impossible or hard as possible to come back to the game after quitting. Destroy your character, toss all your hard earned items, change your password to something random, and say goodbye. In my case I tried to come back to the game, but since I trashed my account the lure of the game wasn't there, having to do everything over again. I quit again, for good, soon after. Looking back I'm damn glad I went so far, or else I'd probably still be playing it.

PBC

What!? I can change this??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, when I recently quit smoking pot it actually made me stop playing W.O.W as often. I just started doing different things like reading, writing, making music. I used to go over to my brothers house so I could get acouple hits in, now I just don't go over there as much so I'm not as tempted. And since I'm not high and vacuous I don't have as much time to play W.O.W I just chose to eat up my time in a way that made sure I wouldn't have much left over to think about playing W.O.W or smoking. Out of sight is out of mind. and a strong part of your being addicted to something actually comes from exposing yourself to the same environment over and over so your mind equates the addiction with your current environment. IE. Try to keep yourself from going to/being at the place where you play your addicting game if possible. Or atleast rearrange the environment so that your mind has alot less ques which will cause it to crave the game in response to the fimiliarity of the situation.

Its like Pavlov's dogs. He would feed them and ring a bell at the same time. Eventually just ringing the bell would makes the dogs drool. Avoid the bell and you avoid the hunger. Avoid the situation avoid the addiction and do something constructive with your time so you don't keep thinking back to your addiction. Get a new hobby.

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If its tangible, like a GBA cart, then sell it or give it away as quick as you can and dont buy a new one, any time you want to buy it, go online and donate that money to a charity or to a blogger who runs a worthwhile site.

If its on a computer then I say uninstall the program, set up a web nanny or two to block you from accessing your favorite sites about that game, and for the password, you can open a text document, type 5 random lines of gibberish and then copy and paste a small 10 character portion of that gibber as the password for those sites with your nanny blocker.

If its an MMORPG then give away all your stuff to other in-game players and then delete the account if you can and still set up web protection programs to prevent you from reaching that site.

Then look for other hobbies to do in that time. Start playing cards, get a pet, or a bike and go outside whenever you want to play. Read several random facts until you find one that intrigues you and research that for a while to help pass time whenever you are alone.

Go to places like the library or muesuem and get interested in several other things as opposed to finding just one obsession to replace the old.
set a goal like meet one new friend every week for a month and then rotate your time between them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER