Activision Kills Guitar Hero

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
UPDATE: Reports are coming in that layoffs have also hit the Activision-owned developer Vicarious Visions. Developer Manveer Heir tweeted this evening to say, "Ugh sorry to hear about the Vicarious Visions layoffs today after Guitar Hero canceled. Shitty. Sounds like Freestyle (DJ Hero) got hit too."

Eurogamer has contacted Vicarious Visions, which created the Wii version of Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock, for comment.

ORIGINAL STORY: Activision has hit DJ Hero developer Freestyle Games with severe layoffs and axed the Guitar Hero series, Eurogamer understands.

United Front's open world game True Crime has been cancelled, sources have told Eurogamer.

An announcement is expected tonight ahead of the publication of Activision's financial results.

In December last year Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg said Guitar Hero, and the music genre, had a future following dismal sales of Warriors of Rock.

"It's no secret that not just Guitar Hero, but also Rock Band, and the music category in general, do not have the same mass appeal today that they did a few years ago," he said.

"That said, I think that we would be foolish to not try and build on the strength of the Guitar Hero brand, because as you said, it's a pretty strong brand with great recognition and great likeability, and there's a lot to work with there.

"I think the road to rejuvenating that category goes through innovation," he continued. "The premise of Guitar Hero - that everyone has an inner rock star - it's something that we've all done forever. Some version of singing into a hairbrush, or holding a tennis racket like a guitar, or singing karaoke, or singing into the bathroom mirror - we all do that.

"I think a lot of video game genres that have had tremendous staying power have a fantasy-fulfillment element at their core, whether it's driving the fast car, or participating in professional sports, or going into battle. People don't get to do this in everyday lives.

"So I think the core premise and the core insight at the heart of the Guitar Hero franchise is still very relevant. I just think we need to escalate the experience for people and innovate. I think the genre is still fairly new, and so I think it's probably time for us to really look at what the next level looks like for that genre."

The publisher had confirmed the return of the franchise in 2011.

Eurogamer's calls to UK developer Freestyle Games went unanswered this evening. United Front Games had not responded to Eurogamer's request for comment at the time of publication.[/p]
Source

The franchise was starting to turn stale TBH, but I wonder what EA will do with Rock Band now. I haven't heard anything about Rock Band 4, so maybe EA have cancelled that too. In a way it's a shame, in another way it's getting old. Activision's 1 year game cycle didn't help it at all though.

EDIT: Guitar Hero isn't dead, it's just taking a break. Proof below:

Twitter is exploding with “I heard Guitar Hero is dead” and “RIP Guitar Hero” and stuff like that. Seems a little dramatic from my understanding.

Here’s what actually happened: On today’s quarterly earnings call, Activision announced that the GH business division was been dissolved, and there’s no game in development for 2011. Having a dedicated division for GH made more sense when the music genre was bigger business; not so much now. Guitar Hero DLC development will continue and the existing games will be supported, but there’s no new game coming in 2011.

So, honestly…is that “death” or a much-needed break? For a while there I couldn’t drown out the cries of gamers on forums, blogs, and Twitter saying GH should take some time off, and from all appearances, that’s what this is. Step back, let it breathe for a while, don’t make any major plans, and see what happens in the future. I’m very okay with that.

Chapter closed? Sure, okay. Book burned? I doubt it.

Rock, as always, on.
Source

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Good, Activision fucked up Guitar Hero the second they touched it.

edit: Shame about the True Crime sequel though
frown.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh. I never got into it, but I'm sure it'll be a big loss for Activision. It was literally their most popular party game.

I guess that lawsuits and music copyrights really just killed it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always felt that Guitar Hero was just severely outclassed by Rock Band. It's good they just finally cut it off, Warriors of Rock was just plain sad.

But with Harmonix in the air at this point and Guitar Hero gone, I wonder what will fill in the music game genre?

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
I always felt that Guitar Hero was just severely outclassed by Rock Band. It's good they just finally cut it off, Warriors of Rock was just plain sad.

But with Harmonix in the air at this point and Guitar Hero gone, I wonder what will fill in the music game genre?

Bongo-themed music game on the Wii starring Donkey Kong.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
worlok375 said:
m3rox said:
This is a good day!

Take that little kids and your fake guitars!

Why is this a good day? TONS OF PEOPLE WERE FIRED!

They should have known better than to work for Activision in the first place (it's like a stain on your portfolio).

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guitar Hero 3 was the last mainstream guitar hero game, after that it was just copying rock band and adding more mainstream songs that were incredibly easy to play, all of the good rock songs were already done

D

Deleted User

m3rox said:
worlok375 said:
m3rox said:
This is a good day!

They should have known better than to work for Activision in the first place (it's like a stain on your portfolio).

You're clearly too young to understand the importance of having a job these days aren't you?

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
naughtynazgul said:
m3rox said:
worlok375 said:
m3rox said:
This is a good day!

You're clearly too young to understand the importance of having a job these days aren't you?

Nope, plenty old enough. It's not wrong to laugh at some things. You'll get it some day.

abel009

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
the games probably ended up case activision milked the hell of of those games. the only games ive seen to b milked and still make a gasillion of dollard its mario and pokeman ;O

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: