Activision Kills Guitar Hero

concealed identi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I always wondered how games like Guitar Hero could be sustainable; I'm sure the licensing fees must be outrageous. At least with a game like Madden, you can make a deal with a single record label and offer them promotion, but licensing all of those songs for Guitar Hero or Rock Band must cost a fortune.

D

Deleted User

m3rox said:
naughtynazgul said:
m3rox said:
worlok375 said:
m3rox said:
This is a good day!

Take that little kids and your fake guitars!

Why is this a good day? TONS OF PEOPLE WERE FIRED!

They should have known better than to work for Activision in the first place (it's like a stain on your portfolio).

You're clearly too young to understand the importance of having a job these days aren't you?

Nope, plenty old enough. It's not wrong to laugh at some things. You'll get it some day.

I understood the joke just fine. I just personally thought it was in rather bad taste considering the tough times we're faced with nowadays and how desperate people are for jobs.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well I look at this in two different ways.

1. Activision should have learned, that like the last Guitar Hero game, or even the one before it, should have been the last one and they should have started developing more DLC content for players instead of expecting people to buy the latest thing in order to get new songs.

2. Maybe they will clue in and do what Rock Band has been doing so bloody well and that is DLC support, plus being able to obtain all the songs from previous games for a minimal fee if you owned the original game as well. DLC was clearly the future back when Rock Band came out originally, look how long the games have lasted before they released an updated version. I doubt you will see a new Rock Band game for at least 2 years, whenever the next console generation starts most likely.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Terminator02 said:
Guitar Hero 3 was the last mainstream guitar hero game, after that it was just copying rock band and adding more mainstream songs that were incredibly easy to play, all of the good rock songs were already done
That's not true at all. I could list off plenty of artists who have not had their music put into Rock Band or Guitar Hero in the same way more well known bands have. If they put in more Yngwie Malmsteen material, people would be shitting bricks trying to play it. Have you tried to play Headed Into the Ditch by Andy Timmons on Rock Band? That song is pretty much impossible, and this is coming from a guy who has beaten some of the most challenging songs available. There are tons of less famous artists that have yet to have their music put in games for one reason or another. I mean come on, where is all the Frank Zappa stuff? The guy was an amazing guitar player and a genius song writer and band leader, maybe people might just get offended by his music because some of it is either politically sensitive or references things like sexual orientation and different sex practises, but then again he was never one to care about hurt feelings of the audience and those listening.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Yuan said:
Hope CoD becomes non profitable soon too.
about as likely as a obesity dropping in kids
EDIT: Well they are connected so if one falls the other will
tongue.gif

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Good. I've been boycotting everything Activision since I bought GH3. Clearly, my personal boycott had a huge impact on them, and I am victorious.

NatureMade

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm only slightly annoyed with this. I tended to enjoy GH mostly for the characters, more so over Rock Band, but It was obvious RB had more appeal in the market [more innovative, constantly coming out with new challenges]. It's sad to see the franchise get put on Hiatus like this, but I guess it serves them right. They ignored the opportunity for innovation at every corner and milked the hell out of the games.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DJ Hero was a big flop anyway - that was their trump card to this Hero series they had going on

imagine the day they axe the imagine series

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Depravo said:
I'm still at a loss to understand why this type of game became so popular in the first place.
The reason Guitar Hero 1 got big was because it allowed gamers to "air-guitar" to really good guitar songs. It was really fun. Harmonix didn't think that GH would be that popular so it really started from there. I have personally played every single Hero game myself (on the 360 at least so the 80's one don't count) and while I've liked all of them (Warriors of Rock is by far my most favorite since it has all imports and has the most stable engine out of all Guitar Hero'es), I thought the series was dead since after World Tour. One of the reasons to blame the decline of this genre is World Tour. I mean, it was hyped to be the best GH game of all time, with people going on about "better drums", the touch strip, the band gameplay (which a lot of people thought GH innovated the band gameplay and not RB). Then when it came out, lots and lots of people complained about the game being unpolished, instruments broken out of the box, really mellow setlist, etc.

While I can say "good riddance" to the series, I'm quite saddened that GH just gets killed off like that. I'm gonna miss it. You have to admit, GH1/GH2/GH3 at least got you into the "new era" of music games again.

You'll be missed Guitar Hero
smile.gif

NEXT: Call of Duty...that really needs to go, and I got no sympathy for that series whatsoever!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, :creep: