OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi everyone,

I've got a white 1.0 CycloDS (I paid a crazy $125 in January for it and a 2gb Kingston Japan microsd from ozmodchips) and I really like it and whatnot. I'm looking to purchase a slot 1 solution for my brother (to replace his ageing Superkey/Supercard combo) and my first thought was to get the $34 USD TopToyDS + 2GB Microsd bundle on Dealextreme.

But is it a better idea to perhaps give him my Cyclo and buy myself an Acekard RPG? I'm interested since with the internal memory, I'll be able to trade savegames/roms with friends who also have slot 1 solutions, and the mini-b usb adaptor means I can use my PSP/MP3 player data cable to transfer files to it. (plus it's black, my white cyclo looks strange in my black DS)

So Just wondering how the Acekard RPG stacks up against the CycloDS. Will it feel like I'm taking a step back? How is compatibility? (I have never had a rom problem on my Cyclo..) also the setup with the mini-b usb connector looks flimsy.. what's the build quality like? And of course.. where is the best place to buy it from? Bamboogaming have it for $79.. rather steep when I could just get the TopToyDS + 2GB microsd for $34 USD..

Thanks, sorry for being so wordy hah.

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The AceKard R.P.G. is a great card, but I really don't think it is worth $80 for most people.

Compatibility is about equal, although I'd say if anything the CycloDS has the edge (and better support, although the open source nature of the AceKard R.P.G. really helps.

The build quality is actually quite good. So I would not be concerned about that. As far as trading ROMs, saves with friends - I think you're not going to "enjoy" that feature to the tune of the $50-$70 price difference (if you factor the microSD cost in). I mean, really...just use your PC, use email, use whatever...trading saves and ROMs via microSD is like swapping floppies in the 80s/90s...
smile.gif

I bought mine from bamboogaming.com and I was very happy with their service. Of course, since I'm overseas it took weeks...but it arrived and in good shape.

In my opinion, I say get the TTDS and the 2GB Kingston Japan card package...or even better, buy the AceKard 2 from DealExtreme. That will give you a "taste" of what the R.P.G. is like and if you're really into it I'm sure you won't have any problem selling it locally (to a mate) and recouping your costs so you can buy that R.P.G. I also have to add that the TTDS is a great little card for being so cheap. I think you'll be surprised.

Passa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for the tips mate, I ended up going with the TTDS + 2GB Kingston Japan microsd for my brother (from Dealextreme.. I didn't put the 'gift wrapping' service or whatever, does that mean I'll have to pay tax when it arrives in Australia?..)

Will probably keep the Cyclo, I hope there are no problems with the 1.0 hardware revision of the card.. if it does have problems the Acekard 2 looks like a cheap replacement anyway.

Thanks again.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i highly doubt you will have to pay tax, i ordered my ak2 + 3 in 1 from hong kong with out and problems =)

and at least you payed $120 for a decent card + 2gb msd. i just sold my R4 to a douche at school for $120

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up