Hacking Acekard RPG saves not written until next boot?

pelago

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If a game is played on an Acekard RPG, saved, then the DS switched off and the Acekard or the SD card removed and plugged into a PC, is the last save available on the Acekard RPG built-in flash or the SD card immediately? Or does the Acekard RPG have to be rebooted (soft-reset or turn the DS off and on again) before the save is written to the Acekard RPG built-in flash or the SD card?

Kijof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I made this too
tongue.gif

The acekard write the save when the ds is rebooted or in a soft reset.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I should note that even GBATemp's review got this one wrong. They said that it writes instantly in the FAQ section even though it does not. My main grievance against the RPG is this.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I should note that even GBATemp's review got this one wrong. They said that it writes instantly in the FAQ section even though it does not. My main grievance against the RPG is this.

No they said it didn't write to sram which it doesnt so there is no risk of losing your save if you dont turn it back on to back it up for awhile. It writes to a hidden sector of the nand which means it wont vanish if you leave your nds off for too long..

pelago

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It writes to a hidden sector of the nand which means it wont vanish if you leave your nds off for too long..
Ah ok, that's not so bad (compared to the similar system in the G6 slot-2 which can lose the save if you leave your DS off for too long). Still, it's a shame it doesn't put the save under the correct filename immediately. One of the questions that keeps popping up in the G6 forum is to do with people trying to access their last save via a PC, and not getting the latest version, or copying over a 'cheat' version of a save, then switching on the G6 and finding that their last save has overwritten the cheat version. It would be nice to avoid that kind of confusion here.

Is this something that could be fixed in the source code that Acekard have published? Or is it in the closed-source loader bit?

pelago

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it? Maybe I mean the closed-source 'rom patcher' code. Sorry, I'm not up on all the terminology.

Anyway, my question in general is whether this is something that can be fixed by the community, or only by Acekard?

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

No they said it didn't write to sram which it doesnt so there is no risk of losing your save if you dont turn it back on to back it up for awhile. It writes to a hidden sector of the nand which means it wont vanish if you leave your nds off for too long..
Go look at the FAQs. I distinctly asked this question and shaun said they made a mistake and it does auto write. Go look. Unless he caught his mistake by now. It should be in his next post. The FAQ section.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it? Maybe I mean the closed-source 'rom patcher' code. Sorry, I'm not up on all the terminology.

Anyway, my question in general is whether this is something that can be fixed by the community, or only by Acekard?
http://acekard-3in1.googlecode.com/svn/tru...mware/akloader/

It can be "fixed" by anyone, but it's not broken. Why is having the save immediately written to the card a big deal? It also cause card corruption if you turn off during saving.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would rather see soft reset working 100% first. This would lessen the save confusion some people have. I really think if someone knows how it works there shouldn't be any further confusion or problem. Just make sure to soft reset or if that fails manually reset.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is one main thing that I would like to suggest to make everyone's life easier with the RPG. Is it possible to implement a file rename option in the start menu? That way, like the above poster said, save manipulation with the RPGs saving after boot method wouldn't be so painful.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
It can be "fixed" by anyone, but it's not broken. Why is having the save immediately written to the card a big deal? It also cause card corruption if you turn off during saving.

As I mentioned above, the similar feature in the G6 caused a lot of confusion with users, when trying to manipulate the saves on a PC.

Then, quite frankly, they're idiots, and shouldn't be pirating in the first place. That's my gripe about no-patch cards, complete morons can pretend they know what they're doing.

The N-Card has a similar implementation, and I've never forgotten about its save mechanism.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

As I mentioned above, the similar feature in the G6 caused a lot of confusion with users, when trying to manipulate the saves on a PC.

Then, quite frankly, they're idiots, and shouldn't be pirating in the first place. That's my gripe about no-patch cards, complete morons can pretend they know what they're doing.

The N-Card has a similar implementation, and I've never forgotten about its save mechanism.
True but I still vote for a file renaming feature be added. That would be helpful beyond may levels and not just for saves.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...