AceKard R.P.G. vs CycloDS Evolution

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Extreme Coder, Jan 1, 2008.

Jan 1, 2008
  1. Extreme Coder
    OP

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    I want to know what do you guys think about these two flash kits.

Both of them are in a similar price range.

Which has more features?

And better support?

(I'm not buying any right now, just want to know)

2. Agjsdfd

Member Agjsdfd My title

Other topic like that [​IMG].

Well it depends on your needs, Acecard RPH has got nandflash memory which is good, but intotal I think(for me) Cyclods is better.

3. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    The CycloDS Evolution has more features at the moment, but with the open source AceKard R.P.G. menu this is very likely to change. For example, the CycloDS Evolution has support for the EZ 3in1, but Rudolph and someone else have added it for the AceKard R.P.G.

4. Agjsdfd

Member Agjsdfd My title

CycloDS has EZ flash support? Cool, so another good point for CycloDS.

5. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
  6. Agjsdfd

Member Agjsdfd My title

Hmm great.
    However it does not help me now..
    As I got 2 M3 dsr straight away without reading any reviews...
    But I am fine with M3DSR though. To have RPG and CycloDS wont be bad, maybe sometimes in the future when some new slot1 comes out I will get them. But for now I kinda have enough.
    Good too see all the features from the different slot1 carts.

7. diglett

Member diglett GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I believe the R.P.G. is a quality cart and the built in flash is a nice feature. However, the Evo has such amazing software that I believe it is currently the best.

Also, I believe there is a connection between the people behind the CycloDS and the DSLink, which was supported for quite a long time despite being a commercial failure.

8. DespizingU

Member DespizingU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    CycloDS has more features, and TC is supporting the cart really well. But because of how they supported their slot 2, you never know how long this support is going to be continued. But I guess that can also be said for Acekard.

The RPG has less features, but it seems more reliable(way less defective rate). You probably won't have to worry about your cart dying a day or two after you get it. Plus it has internal NAND memory. Which I love internal memory. And it's open source, so there's no telling what might come. It could also get the features that Cyclo has, there's no telling. Two carts already have RTS, so I'm sure more will follow.

This is a hard decision. Good luck with it.

9. tomqman

Member tomqman This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.

United Kingdom
    i got my cyclo when they first released batch 2 and ive not had any problems yet. also i upgraded to cyclo from r4ds and im so glad

10. Maikel Steneker

Netherlands
    I knew about the CycloDS Evolution and AceKard R.P.G., but I still chose the M3 Real as well. It has very good GBA support, I can use it with my M3 Perfect, I don't need to patch anything (DS roms, GBA roms, homebrew...)... For me, it's almost perfect and much better than the CycloDS or AceKard R.P.G.

11. Extreme Coder
    OP

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    But what about the M3 Real makes it better than the AceKard or the CycloDS Evo? Just wondering.

12. Agjsdfd

Member Agjsdfd My title

Well lots of things:
    1) The GBA support is so far the best (GBA/NDS linking works with any game, no patching, no worries)
    2) Great NDS games support
    3) Great cheat system(well others has it too, but it supports xml, dat etc.)

13. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    lol@ you thinking the m3 is better than cyclo or acekard.....

14. Jaejae

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    Ignorant troll.
    Do the Cyclo or AceKard RPG have slot 2 expansions?
    The cyclo has piss poor hardware, and the RPG's loader is lacking in features.
    Idiot.

15. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    Actually, the Cyclo and RPG can both utilize the ezflash 3in1.

I don't understand the M3 real being the best cart because of... GBA stuff. Personally I wouldn't buy a slot 1 cart based on its abilities to play GBA games. But thats me.

16. Maikel Steneker

Netherlands
    For me the M3 Real is the best because I don't need the extra features the CycloDS Evolution and AceKard R.P.G. have, but I do want to run both DS and GBA games from my Slot-1 cart without patching. I also want to be able to link a DS and GBA rom. The M3 Real does all these things, while the CycloDS Evolution and AceKard R.P.G. can't.

17. Agjsdfd

Member Agjsdfd My title

Oh well, the gba support was lacking in the pervious slot 1 carts.
    I am able to do "anything" I want with my M3 DSR.
    With anything I mean, playing, homebrew, gba, nds download play, custom skin.
    Well the GUI is maybe not the best out there, but still better than lots of other slot 1 carts.

18. nloding

Member nloding GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm in the same debacle here. The RPG sounds nice due to the open-source nature of it, but right now there isn't anything custom to the RPG that I can't get for any other cart.

The Cyclo is the best rated, but doesn't have native GBA support and it's more expensive.

The M3DS Real has native GBA support, but not 100% download play and has less immediate support than the Cyclo right now.

I've pretty much eliminated the RPG from my sights, sticking with either the M3DS Real or CycloDS Evo. I'm honestly thinking I'll splurge a little, get the Cyclo + 3-in-1 and call it a day.

19. MagNetCZ

Member MagNetCZ GBAtemp Fan

Czech Republic
    Yeah cyclo and 3in1. I never managed to get saves working even with patching before I lost the 3in1 xD. Hopefully the 3in1 will stay longer with you than it did with me heh.

20. golden

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    Now that cyclo has finished, or at least I think has finished, their shit quality production, the cyclo seems like a better bet IMO. It has more features and seems a lot smoother by user experience and reviews. Don't get me wrong, I bought an RPG over the cyclo and still don't regret it(Hasn't arrived yet) but for the common user, cyclo seems like the most solid bet to me. Keep in mind, the RPG build quality is proven to be better than cyclo's as there are slim to none DOA/defective carts.

And now we get to the point of open source, nothing too exciting has happened except that 3in1 support is now built in, not anything revolutionary but it does show that it is possible to achieve higher goals for the source and make it one of the greatest carts that existed. If there were coders that actually got into it and tried, if it didn't cost so much, and if only it was that easy. Only time will tell.... Anyway, the RPG wins first prize for most potential but the cyclo wins for more features. Unless that potential is turned into features I don't think many will pick the RPG over cyclo. It is a great looking cart and is fantastic but it just seems wobbly and still young. It just came out in september correct? Give it a couple more months and see. [​IMG]