Acekard 2i update with DS Phat/Original help?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Obliviousfan, Dec 28, 2009.

Dec 28, 2009
  1. Obliviousfan
    OP

Newcomer Obliviousfan Member

United States
    Problem is that I got a DSi and of course it came with 1.4u on it, I figured I would just update the AK2i and be done with it
    Since my DSi can't even SEE the card (I've seen other people say that they see the card it just has an error when booting)

so I was going to use my old ds phat/original to update it it works fine in those sees it/boots and works fine..I update it (with "ak2ifw_update_14_DSL.nds") everything goes well, I shut off the DS phat/original
    put it in my DSi and nothing is shown in the game slot..I know I have a AK2i and not a AK2 it shows that on the front and I do have another flashcart (very crappy one) that I tried also using to update my AK2i
    With no luck of course (pics sorry for crappy quality but you can see that it is an AK2i)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've read on a few tuts you CAN update with a ds phat, but I'm starting to wonder do I need a DSL to update? because for everyone that uses a DSL it seems to work
    that's my question and if any of you guys have any ideas for me to try I would greatly appreciate it
    Thanks

2. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Appears to be a contact problem, try the paper trick.

3. Obliviousfan
    OP

United States
    I tried that to make the card thicker but no luck, same thing

4. penthaler

Member penthaler GBAtemp Fan

Czech Republic
    Update it on DSL if you can - and report if this will work or not. When you did that update for first time it should work, but... I have never tested that on PHAT ds, so cant confirm it...

5. Obliviousfan
    OP

United States
    Don't have a DSL, I did it on a friends DSL yesterday but I was in a rush and I did it using the DSi update file (not DSL) which I think may of been why it didn't work, I can try it again using the DSL file but I won't be seeing him for a few days so I was just trying to get it to work with the Phat DS

EDIT: Plus even if it didn't work wouldn't I see the AK2i icon on the DSi but just get an error when trying to launch it?

6. penthaler

Member penthaler GBAtemp Fan

Czech Republic
    And the reason is clear... try it again on DSL but with right update file (maybe not work anymore)
    Works your AK2i on phat now?

7. Obliviousfan
    OP

United States
    I've tried both update files on the phat with the same result, no game inserted message on the DSi but it boots/works fine on the phat, I'll try the DSL when I can

8. Obliviousfan
    OP

United States
    re-updated with the DSL and it still isn't seen on my DSi, like martin said I also think it's a contact problem because I don't even see the danny/ak2i logo when I put the card into my DSi, it just says "there is nothing inserted in the game card slot" I tried the paper trick a few times to make the card thicker (paper on the logo side of the ak2i) and couldn't get it to work, if anyone has any ideas let me know

9. sonicboom510

Newcomer sonicboom510 Member

United States
    I think that's your problem. You're suppose to update with the DSI version of the update file, not the DS light

10. Toader

Member Toader GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It doesn't matter which ds you use. I used a phat to update my acecard and it works fine.

11. Gh0sti

Member Gh0sti iOS Guru

United States
    is it possible that you have a fake AceKard 2i, that could be why it doesnt work

12. Leonidas

Member Leonidas GBAtemp Fan

Slovenia
    This is probably a contact issue, because the card is working on a DS, but not DSi. Take a soft cloth and clean up all golden contacts on the Acekard.

13. Obliviousfan
    OP

United States
    Did that but still same thing, I ordered another from
    Code:
     http://www.0shippingzone.com/acekard-acekard-p-319.html
    cheap free shipping so I'll try it, I noticed my acekard 2i doesn't have the plastic separators like this one
    [​IMG]
    Not sure if that's because I have a older version or something? mine shouldn't be faulty..I got it from
    Code:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/
    anyway if this new one doesn't work I'll get a replacement on the DSi and just hope it works on the next I get.

14. montymintypie

Newcomer montymintypie Advanced Member

Australia
    Mine didn't come with the plastic 'teeth' for the contacts either. It's just a newer revision of the card. Mine doesn't have the hole for the chip either, just a small bump on it. I got mine from DX too (before they stopped selling them....) and it's not a fake.

15. Leonidas

Member Leonidas GBAtemp Fan

Slovenia
    Original Acekards 2 have only two teeth, and that's on far left&far right.

16. Obliviousfan
    OP

United States
    Original as in JUST a acekard 2? not a 2i? if so then DX sent me a mislabeled acekard 2 as a AK 2i as you can see in the picture in the first post, but it does only have 2 "teeth" on the left and one on the right