• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

About today’s Florida shooting

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Guys, I'll debate gun control all day. I see points from both sides. But you guys are fueling a stereotype that needs to be addressed. We are not the highest in gun related deaths, not even close. Gun violence isn't the most common factor for death here. It's not even in the top 10. Most causes of death are conditions related to old age. We aren't a bunch of Rambo's and gangsters here. This isn't venezuela.

Last edited by WeedZ,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There was a school shooting in Italy last month although thankfully no one was killed. Pretty sure some fatal school shooting happened in the 2000’s in England in a primary school

wikipedia said:
United States[edit]
Main article: School shootings in the United States
School shootings are an "overwhelmingly American" phenomenon due to the availability of firearms in the United States.[43]

Infamous school shootings include the 1966 University of Texas tower shooting, the 1999 Columbine High School massacre, the 2007 Virginia Tech shooting, and the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. Other school shootings that resulted in multiple casualties occurred at Northern Illinois University in 2008 and Santana High School in 2001, along with Red Lake Senior High School in 2005, Umpqua Community College in 2015, Marshall County High School in 2018, and Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in 2018.

A 2015 investigation by CNN identified "more than 40 people...charged with Columbine-style plots" since the 1999 Columbine High School massacre and found that almost all were white male teenagers and almost all had studied the Columbine attack or cited the Columbine perpetrators Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold as inspiration.[44]

There were 11 school shootings in the first 23 days of 2018.[45]

Forgot to add that to me post.
Ironic how it says "overwhelmingly American" ;')

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, I'll debate gun control all day. I see points from both sides. But you guys are fueling a stereotype that needs to be addressed. We are not the highest in gun related deaths, not even close. Gun violence isn't the most common factor for death here. It's not even in the top 10. Most causes of death are conditions related to old age. We aren't a bunch of Rambo's and gangsters here. This isn't venezuela.
The main point was school and mass shooting. The most notable country there is the US. The rest of america isnt even near usa in that subject. Except venezuela i guess, but still, they are ina different subject and im more secure here than if someday i happen to visit usa.

Last edited by DeslotlCL,

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country

So because gun violence isn't the number one killer you shouldn't do anything about it?

Polopop123

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
It’s funny how these make national headlines meanwhile many, many more homocide are committed by black males, despite them being a minority, and no one bats an eye, not even BLM. More needs to be done to fund black neighborhoods as its obvious that’s the real problem.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your just asking the same question over and over again
I'm asking the same question because you keep giving the same answer that's completely contradictory to what you've been saying this whole thread, yet you retain your original stance
You're right about the US not being the highest in gun related deaths (although we are number 11, and the countries we come behind aren't exactly something to be proud of either), but we are the 2nd highest by gun-related suicide, and as far as I can tell, we're the country with the most annual mass shootings as well. No, we're obviously not "a bunch of Rambos," and yes, gun violence obviously is a global concern and not just an American one, but the rate of mass shootings like this is a uniquely American (United States) problem

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
"But we need the gun to protect our selves"

Why do people need to protect themselves? Against what exactly?
I know the USA is all about fear,death and violence (yes, your news like to portrait that very well!)

What I see and probably the rest of the world are gun nuts that are afraid of other people, so they try to protect themselves against basically themselves. They're all alike.
You can't defend guns, if they where harder to get a hold off, natrually it would be harder to do these mass shootings. It's basic freaking math.

"But they can get a gun illegally!" Sure, but between the time they manage to buy one and actually do the deed. They might been capture already!

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s funny how these make national headlines meanwhile many, many more homocide are committed by black males, despite them being a minority, and no one bats an eye, not even BLM. More needs to be done to fund black neighborhoods as its obvious that’s the real problem.
Just because it doesn't make headlines doesn't mean the Black community isn't trying to do stuff about it, good Lord. That's a very racist talking point that right wing news outlets ALWAYS use whenever a mass shooting comes up to distract from the problem that IS in the headlines

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Guns aren’t outright banned ther though. They are here in Ireland and ever since they were, homocide by guns are rising
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-shootings-and-reduced-homicides-study-finds

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you look at this incident as a controlled experiment, it disproves your point.

1. Guns are banned on government and school grounds.

2. The only gun in this area was illegally obtained and wielded by a criminal with mental issues.

3. Those that follow the law, included those charged with safety, were defenseless.

As far as black market. The market for illegal obtaining and trafficking guns is already strong. They go hand in hand with drugs.
But I do believe that security forces should carry guns, and they should be around schools in the USA, specially in the USA, given how schools are a target there. I only think that the common person shouldn't have guns, or at least big guns.
Anyway, as I said above, if such a transition from a excess of guns to a mostly gun-free society ever happens, it will be a slow transitions with problems and hardships in between.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: WeedZ

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So because gun violence isn't the number one killer you shouldn't do anything about it?
Thats not what I was saying
I'm asking the same question because you keep giving the same answer that's completely contradictory to what you've been saying this whole thread, yet you retain your original stance

You're right about the US not being the highest in gun related deaths (although we are number 11, and the countries we come behind aren't exactly something to be proud of either), but we are the 2nd highest by gun-related suicide, and as far as I can tell, we're the country with the most annual mass shootings as well. No, we're obviously not "a bunch of Rambos," and yes, gun violence obviously is a global concern and not just an American one, but the rate of mass shootings like this is a uniquely American (United States) problem
We do have more school shootings. We also have a much larger land mass and population than most countries here debating. I feel if I ran the numbers it would be proportional.
"But we need the gun to protect our selves"

Why do people need to protect themselves? Against what exactly?
I know the USA is all about fear,death and violence (yes, your news like to portrait that very well!)

What I see and probably the rest of the world are gun nuts that are afraid of other people, so they try to protect themselves against basically themselves. They're all alike.
You can't defend guns, if they where harder to get a hold off, natrually it would be harder to do these mass shootings. It's basic freaking math.

"But they can get a gun illegally!" Sure, but between the time they manage to buy one and actually do the deed. They might been capture already!
We're afraid of our government.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
We do have more school shootings. We also have a much larger land mass and population than most countries here debating. I feel if I ran the numbers it would be proportional.
Last I read, UK gun ownership was 6%, USA was 101%. There are more legally owned guns in America than there are people.

Polopop123

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Just because it doesn't make headlines doesn't mean the Black community isn't trying to do stuff about it, good Lord. That's a very racist talking point that right wing news outlets ALWAYS use whenever a mass shooting comes up to distract from the problem that IS in the headlines

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-shootings-and-reduced-homicides-study-finds
I never said Australia’s homocide rate isn’t declining. I simply pointed out that it doesn’t work every time. In Urelad it’s been on the ride ever since gun laws were introduced. One example doesn’t represent the whole picture
Also, facts aren’t racist, that’s plain stupid talk there. It’s the truth. No attention is drawn to the growing problem that is black on black crime.

Reactions: DarthDub

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, facts aren’t racist, that’s plain stupid talk there. It’s the truth. No attention is drawn to the growing problem that is black on black crime.
You clearly misunderstood what I was saying; the fact itself isn't racist, but using as a talking point to distract from a relevant issue is. Particularly when the person bringing it up ignores all the factors that go into crime rates in Black-majority communities, and what those communities are trying to do about it

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Guns are a vicious circle, you know.
A gun is just an object, that shoots metal projectiles in a very fast velocity.
It's a people problem, not just a regulation issue, and at this point, as said early, if we prohibit guns, we'll just get the same effect as the alcohol prohibition.
I do agree that guns shouldn't be allowed to be at school, a good metal detector would be a quick way to adress this issue, but that won't fix the problem entirely.
If you take away drugs from an addict, sure, they'll stop consuming them, but did you really fix the core of the problem?

Last edited by dAVID_,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guns are a vicious circle, you know.
A gun is just an object, that shoots metal projectiles in a very fast velocity.
It's a people problem, not just a regulation issue, and at this point, as said early, if we prohibit guns, we'll just get the same effect as the alcohol prohibition.
I do agree that guns shouldn't be allowed to be at school, a good metal detector would be a quick way to adress this issue, but that won't fix the problem entirely.
If you take away drugs from an addict, sure, they'll stop consuming them, but did you really fix the core of the problem?
So how do you propose fixing America's "gun addiction"?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious, will there ever be a solution (not perfect, but somewhat effective) towards properly sanctioned gun control? A solution to where both sides can actually agree? I'm curious because on other platforms, I've seen some seriously toxic comments and backbiting. I mean, it makes me cynical to the point to where every single politician won't agree simply based on the fact that they only care about making their wallets fat.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.